shape
carat
color
clarity

The time has come to decide about Coco

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
We've done all we can do to help Coco with her tummy problems. She just got out of the vet hospital again and she's already puking all over the house. Our vet, Dr. T., is a miracle worker and she's agreeing that the time has come to make a decision about Coco.

I'm so torn up about this that I can't stop crying and I don't want to be selfish and keep Coco here for MY sake. She is the most precious cat that I've ever had the pleasure to know. She's a total sweetheart, but is still having major tummy issues and we've been dealing with them since we adopted her from the Houston SPCA on February 26, 2008.

Lori

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, I am really sorry! All I can say is, when the animal has no quality of life and cannot eat and is losing weight, then it is probably time to do something. I try to draw the line when I think my pet is suffering.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i agree that when a cat is in enough pain that it has no quality of life because of its suffering its time to be humane.I'm sorry that your cat is sick.Shes lucky to have someone like you to care for her when the hard decisions have to be made.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Oh Lori, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news! *hugs*
You must be feeling very torn right now.... it is such a difficult situation to be in. Try to put yourself in Coco's situation, maybe that would help a little. I'm sure she understands you only want the best for her and loves her dearly.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huge hugs my dear friend.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
My heart goes out to you. In fact, I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I'm a cat lover in general, but I have one particular cat who I have a bond with like no other animal I've ever known. I've had her since she was a baby, and she's 6 years old now. It's breaking my heart to think about your situation, because I'm imagining exactly how it would feel.

I hope you're able to make the best decision for you and Coco, whatever that ends up being. I'll be thinking about you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
its never easy. unfortunately, part of loving is also letting go. may peace find you and Coco.

MoZo

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori - I'm so sorry you're having to make tis kind of decision, and that your time wih Coco - and hers with you - has been marred by so many medical issues.

I lost my Squeaky about a year ago. Like Coco, he was a very, very special cat. Squeaky lived to a good old age (though not nearly long enough) but his last few years involved a lot of veterinary care, first for an ear condition that left him deaf, and then for failing kidneys. In the end I gave him subcutaneous hydration, first every other day, and then every day. He always put up with whatever treatment with grace (or maybe it was just resignation). Of course I was with him in the end -- and the long time we'd had together, and the fact that it was clear his time had come helped me get through that time. Still, that time was difficult for me because of the nagging feeling that I might have kept him around too long for my comfort, that maybe I should have let him go a bit sooner... for his sake.

My thoughts are with you and Coco and your family. I trust you'll know when it's time to let go.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Lori

I am so sorry you find yourself in this situation. I am sending you love and dust in the hope that you can find resolution for you and your darling.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Really sorry to hear that~ I'm sure she knows how much you guys love and care for her, if she is in so much pain and trouble right now and there isn't much we can do about it and maybe it is all for the best, for her~

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I think you need to do something about it. And believe me, I completely understand how this feels.

A few years ago my lab was poisoned - it pains me to even say this - by a neighbour (unfortunately we never found out who). I was away at the time and my mum took her to the vet who tried his best to help. He said the first 24 hours were critical but if she did not improve by then she would only get worse. In the end, my parents made the humane decision to put her down. She was in a lot of pain, and as you said we couldn't let her suffer any more just to keep her there for our sake. I can't tell you how much it hurt and how many tears I shed (not having even been able to say goodbye since I was away), but I have no doubt in my mind that by making that decision my parents kept from suffering even more.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Lori, I'm so sorry you've had to come to making such a hard decision. My precious Bubbles was so terrribly sick last year, and it's so hard to make that final choice... but I found it harder to see her miserable. I hope you find peace with your decision, and I'm sending you huge big hugs. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, pets just wiggle their way into our hearts and the little diggers just stay there. Coco is such a lucky kitty to have found you.

Much, much love to you and Coco.

xx

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lori - I am so sorry you are going through this. I also agree, when there's no longer a happy quality of life, then it is time to let go. Know that you can come here for strength and support.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry you are going through this. My thoughts are with you and Coco.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think when the time has come to make the decision, the decision has already been made.

Let me just say, I am a huge animal lover. What you're facing right now is my biggest fear. Just thinking seriously about it will make me cry like a baby, honestly. Pets become our babies, members of our family, and the "decision" is so entirely heartbreaking. I am so, so sorry.

I don't think you're selfish, I think you're being honest about your feelings and you're facing something really hard. There is really never a time that will be "right" pre say. But Coco is sick, and in who knows how much pain, and she's not getting better. If your vet is being honest with you, it's because it's serious.

I'm so sorry.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm sorry. I know what Coco means to you and what a fantastic, loving little buddy you have there. It's so, so hard to say goodbye, and only you know if it's the right time, but it sounds like it's heading that way. I wish we could say something to make it better. Hugs. xxx

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Lori, I'm so sorry you're having to face this. It's never easy to make these decisions. *big hugs*

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori, I'm so sorry that you are at this crossroads, but after following Coco's illness and triumphs over illness over the years, I think that what your Vet is trying to tell you is true. It's something we all eventually have to accept as animal lovers and caregivers of our precious furbabies. I know that we, or rather I, kept Brandy alive for a year and a half with major illness (organ breakdown) on top of total deafness and near total blindness. I kept her going for the last four months for my husband's sake, because he couldn't face what was to be; but the Vet told me that we were hanging on long past the point that we should have and that we should consider her needs before our own, and that really did it for us. While no one can make this decision for you, I do believe what italia said is true. If you're having this conversation with your Vet about the need to make this decision, the decision has essentially already been made.

Peace be with you my friend, your hubby and sweet Coco.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lori -- I'm so sorry to hear about this. Making that type of decision is extremely hard. Big hugs to you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry Lori :(sad

I too remember your previous posts about Coco's ups and downs, and... I'm so sorry you're facing such a heartbreaking decision. I'll be thinking of you, and wishing for peace and healing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori, I'm so sorry to hear about Coco. :(sad

-A

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lori....im so sorry. I know this decision has been weighing on you for quite some time, and you've been such a great cat parent to Coco. I think you know in your heart that you've done all you can for your precious kitty, and now the time has come for you to show her one last act of love and let her go.

I wish you as much peace as possible as you go through this difficult time. We are here for you. Allow yourself the chance to grieve and remember the joy she has given you over the past 3 years. Hugs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results