shape
carat
color
clarity

The Things (some) Jewelers Say...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Well, after some 25 years in the business, we thought we''d heard it all, but then this weekend a local restaurant owner walks in with his wife''s wedding ring and says "what do you think?"

"Have you got insurance?" I asked as I studied the severely damaged diamond... Practically 40% of the Crown was gone... The diamond had been set in a bar style channel set ring and the diamond had been set too high so that the crown sat well above the two gold bars which normally would have offered the top of the diamond some protection...

"No" he replied, but that''s not my question... "I bought this ring from Local Jeweler ''X'' who is a ''friend'' of mine and he assured me at the time that it was an excellent diamond..."

And there I sat staring at what had probably been an I-1, light topolite at best trying to find something ''soothing'' to say about the situation... "Well, it''s kind of difficult to ascertain at the moment, but let''s talk about your options..."

I explained that since the diamond weighed about a third of a carat that it might fall under the general coverage of a standard homeowner''s policy (some policies offer general coverage to $1,500.00 or so) and recommended that he talk to his agent... And off he went...

Today the client walks into our store to tell us that he went back to see his ''friend'' and that he is going to replace the diamond free of charge... Apparently he explained to him how the diamond should have been set to begin with (we had showed him a few examples)... But here''s the KICKER! He wants to know whether there are different types of diamonds for rings and pendants because his ''friend'' explained to him that he had made an error (not in setting the stone, but) in selling him the stone because he had sold him a diamond that was ''soft'' which should have been used for a pendant whereas harder diamonds are for rings!

9.gif
Wa-ha-ha! We practically fell all over ourselves! Robin who while outspoken rarely swears, exclaims: "In all my years in the business, that is the biggest crock of sh-- I''ve EVER heard!" to which the client says "yea, it sounded a bit off to me... I''ll bring you that diamond to check out after he replaces it..."

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
LOL! That's too funny.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
LOL!! I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a crook!
9.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
ROFL! ROFL! ROFL!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! A soft diamond eh? Where can I get one of those?
1.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
The things people will say when they get caught with their pants down...
2.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please let us know what you think of the hard diamond niceice if he comes back to show you it.

Would the jeweler mean that they put lower clarity (like I3) diamonds in pendants rather than maybe SI2 or I1 in rings? Don't mean they are softer though
3.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
pyramid - that would be my take on the situation - but a very poor choice of words when talking about a diamond.

Perhaps he should have said, "We put the "crumbly" diamonds in pendants, and the "non-crumbers" in rings!
errrr.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would wonder if this had been a clarity enhanced, glass in-filled diamond? Maybe that is what was meant by "soft".

It sounds like a crock of s*** anyway, but maybe the reason the seller is replacing it is to avoid a confrontation over never telling his customer the diamond was weak to begin with.

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
I had an interesting conversation over lunch the other day with a couple of young women - one recently married with a large glassy looking princess cut swearing that she would NEVER buy on the internet, how could you trust them? You should always buy from a "friend in the business" like everyone has one. It never ceases to amaze me how friendship in this business seems to warrant treating someone as badly as a perfect stranger, just for a lower price.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/1/2003 5:06:19 PM oldminer wrote:

It sounds like a crock of s*** anyway........

----------------

LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY......

This has GOT to be my favorite expert opinion in the year-plus since I first came here!

R/T and all, thanks for a much needed Monday laugh-fest.

DEVO

Rough_Rock
Anybody else in the business with a good story?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good Story R/T,

Maybe he should have gotten a full re-imbursement for the stone and then dealt with one of our savvy pricescope vendors...
wavey.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/1/2003 3:30:41 PM LawGem wrote:

The things people will say when they get caught with their pants down...
2.gif

----------------

Would that be with the soft diamond or the hard one? HeeeHeee
3.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/1/2003 5:07:23 PM Mikesgirl wrote:

I had an interesting conversation over lunch the other day with a couple of young women - one recently married with a large glassy looking princess cut swearing that she would NEVER buy on the internet, how could you trust them? You should always buy from a 'friend in the business' like everyone has one. It never ceases to amaze me how friendship in this business seems to warrant treating someone as badly as a perfect stranger, just for a lower price. ----------------

Would that be,.... Getting shafted at a lower rate feels better? HeeeHeee
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MG...I know what you mean. People don't trust the internet and yet they get screwed by local jewelers all the time. We were even a victim of *something* and don't even know what ....our earrings we bought 3 years ago as 1ctw H VS turned out to be 1ctw N SI -- thank goodness our jeweler made good and traded them in for 1ctw G VS, he said of course he had no idea how it could have happened and we did trust him...we did give him our ring biz after all.

Funny thing is that my MOH recommended this guy to us years ago and her mom buys something like $20k of jewels a year from this guy. We feel like it had to be some odd mistake. My MOH's brother gets his wife jewelry there as well, etc...this guy gets tons of business from this family and their friends.

Anyway now I am spoiled! It's online all the way for me now!
1.gif
Education is so key.

Anything over $1000 I am definitely getting appraised!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results