carat
color
clarity

The Sudden Love For Vintage Diamonds

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1412894657|3765078 said:
I think the bigger travesty is not the sale of the lower or warmer colored vintage cuts but rather the sale of black and brown diamonds--those diamonds that were in the spectrum that nobody wanted for centuries. These are the diamonds that are being sold to the masses who cannot afford a decent diamond for the price. The marketing of "black ice' or "chocolate' diamonds has been brilliant and many a buyer has fallen prey. Why buy a carbon spot when a piece of onyx can do. Same with smokey quartz or topaz for the chocolate diamonds. But these buyers proclaim that they have a diamond! By allowing India to cut whatever crap diamond comes up from the ground as long as it can be faceted it will end up in some cheap (or overpriced) piece of jewelry.
Yup!, a big rip-off!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cognac, champagne and just plain brown diamonds that come out of the Argyle mines here sell for big $$$$s. I don't get the whole black diamond fascination either.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1412705732|3763739 said:
Diamonds are like people - different cuts have different personalities. Old cuts, fancies, colored diamonds, colored gems - they're not cut to have the light return of an RB and they each have their own following. Eye of the beholder, and all that. Why do I refer to RBs as "modern" RB's? Because labs frequently grade OECs as RBs, and OECs are considered the precursor to the current, or modern, RB. There is a relationship, and a distinction, there.

Is max light return the only measure of beauty? Of course not, or else no one would want an EC or a colored diamond.

Why take it personally that someone could love a rose cut more than an H&A cut? That's like saying we must all follow the same standards of beauty for people too - everyone must find only blond hair or green eyes attractive and anything else is inferior. That would be nuts, right?

I'll take a "misfit" (sarcasm) old cut over a precision cut any day of the week, and that's how I felt long before I was in the trade. My love of old cuts is what brought me to the trade in the first place. I just love them, unapologetically. And if someone else loves a precision cut, great for her. Glad that there are so many choices out there for people!

Sure wish I could "like" a post on PS! :clap: :clap: I begrudge no one who prefers a modern cut to an antique. But for me, it's all about the character and romance that draws me to old cuts and not because of some marketing strategy, and it's not a cost/carat issue. For me, it's the good and bad times an antique diamond has seen, the successes, failures, heart swells and aches, the tears and joy, the celebrations and sacrifices allll coupled with the skill and craftsmanship of the angel who cut my precious without benefit of modern advancements, his squinting eyes while polishing by candle light this beauty that is chock full of character, sparkle, chunky flashy faceting and killer kozibe. I am so honored that I get to add my own history, successes, failures, joy and tears to those who treasured this diamond before me. And one day, my daughter will add her own stories to it, and hopefully her daughter or son by way of promise to his intended. To me, THAT is what buying a diamond is all about. So I am hard pressed to recall a modern cut anything that moves me & makes me feel the same way as my antique cut diamonds, and I surely don't see anything like them on the hands of any other ladies I know IRL.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy,

I forgot about the pie. :D :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ccuheartnurse|1412920299|3765257 said:
Gypsy,

What would you like??

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ccuheartnurse|1412920299|3765257 said:
Gypsy,

I thought you were never gone, Judy! ;))

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results