shape
carat
color
clarity

The studs are duds....

MdF

Rough_Rock
They were bought in a hurry two days before the wedding from a B&M - all of this before I found Pricescope. I don't even know the specs, only that they're 50tcw and probably set in 14k white gold. They sparkle only immediately after a soft scrub but are more often than not dull and lifeless. Needless to say, I have been living with buyer's remorse and am sure I paid more than I want to know.

The size suits my small lobes but I'd love to replace them for a much better pair - BDG or WF probably. I live in NYC. Any recommendations on how to go about getting them appraised and sold? The store where they were bought does not have a trade-in or upgrade policy. Also something I learned about here - thank goodness for this site!

Any help is appreciated.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I would go to I.D. Jewelry in the NYC jewelry district with your old studs and see what credit they'll give you towards a sparkly new pair.

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Do they have a return policy? How long ago were they purchased?

If not and you're looking for a new vendor, check out goodoldgold.com which is a pricescope vendor and is located in new york.

MdF

Rough_Rock
Kelpie - thanks! Near my office, so that is great. Seeing the prices on their site for what I think are probably a comparable pair makes me shake my head and sigh. Live and learn - or should I say lurk? :read:

Smokey99 - Good Old Gold gets rave reviews and I want to plan a day trip regardless. Are they likewise willing to trade-in duds for studs?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely see if you can return with the first vendor and start over! if you go to ID Jewelry mention you found them through pricescope.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of "duds" from my husband ;-) He doesn't know about jewelry and bought them as a surprise for me. I think he paid $800 for them but I'd doubt if they are even worth $80 if I were to try to resell them. They are so included... I think they are "IGI Certified" as being .70 tcw, G color, I2-I3 (yeah...). I've kept them because it was a nice gesture from my husband but I wouldn't be sad in the least if I lost them. I did make sure he knew no more jewelry surprises from now on lol.

Do you know anything about them at all? Are there any specs from the B&M store? I agree that the first option would be to try to return them. If they won't do that, possibly exchange them at the same store for something better, and if they won't do that, cut your losses knowing that you probably wouldn't have received much for them anyway.

MdF

Rough_Rock
I bought them 2 years ago so if there is a refund policy, I doubt the period is in force. I called the store a couple of months later when it was time to renew my home insurance policy, although I didn't know enough then to ask for "stats" per se. They sent me an appraisal letter of some kind which looked like nothing more than a glorified receipt, stating what I had paid for the earrings. Dissapointing, to say the least so I'd rather not do more business with them. To be fair, I madder at myself than them but again, I didn't know better. They are in business for themselves - though perhaps it's not unreasonable to be a little miffed I could not find out what exactly I had purchased, even if after the fact? I was just looking for some wedding day jewelry at the last minute and they were my first diamond purchase.

However.....thanks to these forums and their generous, knowledgeable participants I know I will be well armed for the next (set of) round(s)!

smc7277

Rough_Rock
I think I have the twins to your dud's and hanging out on this site is seriously influencing my "need" for a good pair. I also have two pair od princess cut studs that were presents from my boyfriend . Wonder if he would be opposed to a trade... 8)

annee

Rough_Rock
Definitely go to ID Jewelry and ask for Yekutiel. Oh and mention you're from PS as well!

I recently bought a pair of studs for my MIL and he got me a great deal on a pair of 0.85 ctw for considerably less than what other vendors were quoting me. They sparkle like no other and even show baby arrows :love: And I wouldn't worry about the prices listed online, just let Yekutiel know your budget/preferences and he will come up with something great for you.

MdF

Rough_Rock
Annee - took your advice. Here is my happy report:

I was in the area on an errand and swerved half a block out of my way to visit IDJewelry. Much better than I expected! I now have my eyes on a pair of .78 F/G S1 in a yellow gold basket/bezel setting. They are petite, elegant and sparkly. I was counting on upgrading to the same size given my small lobes and budget and was surprsied and happy to see I can upgrade to a slightly heavier carat. The bezel itself is thin, which I also like. I only wish they were not bezeled in a basket but had a more open back a la WF or BGD. All in all, it is a small point considering I feel I am getting more than I expected in all other aspects. They won't at all overwhelm my little ears and in fact still appear casually petite and are very budget friendly. Very happy with their price, the trade-in value of the current 'duds and their very warm service.

They also let me know that the current 'duds look like F/G S1 but probably a poor cut. Granted, their appearance is not helped by the fact they need a cleaning. Any suggestions there?

Since it's a birthday gift to myself, I'm waiting a couple of weeks until the actual day. Stand by for comparison ear-shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results