shape
carat
color
clarity

The Story of *Truth* and her many siblings......with photos

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6B99B078-C4B0-4F3E-9E03-9A4EE28C451D.jpeg A4C59A8D-C065-49F1-BD6B-CA190EE490C1.jpeg C9E60058-51C5-4FED-8F6E-8DF427BCD9FD.jpeg Late last year, here in Sydney Australia, driving home from Saturday morning grocery shopping, hubby took a “long cut” home due to traffic.
In the suburb of Burwood, near us, there is a special street called “The Appian Way” which is a collective of very expensive, very grand Federation houses built in the 1920s. These houses when they ever so rarely sell, even without a view, sell for in excess of $5 million dollars each.
We took a drive through the Appian Way so I could look lovingly and longingly out the car window at these magnificent houses.
“Stop” I shout, there’s an “Auction today sign”. Deceased Estate House contents. “let go and have a look”.
Mainly I wanted to see the inside of one of these almost mythical houses.
Inside, the house was stunning and original but so so musty smelling and the contents, ugh, old lady stuff. Sure enough chatting to the Auction staff, the house had been literally locked up for 5 or more years as the old lady had been in a Nursing home prior to her death. The beneficiaries (adult kids living overseas) had already “been through the house and taken the good stuff” when Mrs got sent off to the nursing home. They apparently instructed the solicitors, in regards to what was left, to “put it in a skip and dump it at the rubbish tip”. Seeing as it costs money to hire a rubbish skip and money to dump rubbish the solicitors figured if they could get a few bucks for everything left via an on site auction, all the better and less to dump.
Stuff was being sold “room by room” contents. In one of the rooms, on the ancient single bed complete with 1960s chenille fringed bed spread was various boxes and piles of stuff, all from the inside of a 1960s timber wardrobe. Brand new towels, all yellow with age and still with price tags on them pre 1976 because that’s when Farmers dept store ceased trading, lace table clothes, lace dollies, old fashioned clothes and two old, falling apart cardboard boxes filled with lots of little tins (rusted shut) part of a vintage weighing scale (like those little round weight things), little tools of some description and various Bead necklaces including coral, some bags of raw gemstones (being turquoise and wee uncut sapphires and zircon) plus a few other broken Bead and pearl Necklaces. It also contained dead spiders and other insect remains! As I do craft work (I make doggie collar dangles which the greyhound rescue sells to raise funds for the cause) I thought I’d have it for the beads and pearls.
I found another similiar cardboard box (in a different room!) full of vintage jewellery display boxes in various states or repair and more rusty containers (the good gems) plus more insect carcasses. Then Hubby is telling me to hurry up “the ice cream is melting”. I hastily leave absentee bids on the two lots and head home.
I win both lots and go back the next day and pick them up.
The little tins, which I’ve been shaking (and no doubt “others” too at the auction) all have stuff inside but it’s really hard, like impossible, to get the lids off. So I’m spraying WD40 all over them out on the patio table.
After much effort prising the lid edges with a knife and twisting.... “Ohhh, they’ve got little crystals in them”. I open them all and have mound on the table. There’s bigger ones too from the other box. I decide to give them a rinse under water and figure they can all go into my Lalique Fish Tank (it’s a display container with Lalique fish ornaments looking like an aquarium but on the bottom instead of seeing the white plastic I’ve put all sorts of coloured crystals in the bottom to make it pretty).
So I am literally pouring the crystals in (from height), when one hits the bottom and bounces out. I pick it up and notice that it’s got an interesting cut. Might it be Citrine?
A few days later I’m back at the auction house (they do many different type auctions every week) and I’m chatting to a young lass on staff, who had been at the deceased estate house contents auction where I got my boxes.
Turns out that yes, poor Mrs was indeed in a nursing home for years. Her husband had died, heart attack, back in the nineties and all the kids live overseas. Basically they only came back to “get the loot, put her in a nursing home and leave”. They didn’t even take the Christening gowns (that were obviously theirs) that the dear old lady had so carefully saved. Wanted everything to go to the dump! The young lass was obviously affected by the callous disregard the kids had shown to their mother and the special items she had hung onto for years, no doubt wanting to “hand them down”.
I mused out loud “Well, the Mr must have had a good job to afford to buy an Appian Way house”. Oh yes she says, he was a fancy jeweller in the City, but he died suddenly. He had a workshop at the house, that room alongside the garage. Had a safe in it, and equipment but all that was cleared out years ago.
To be continued......

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooooh....off to get a snack and come back for more details :lol:

Blingloverbyday

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what an amazing story. I can't wait to read /see more of Truth's siblings and other extended family! :love:

It's a shame about the family, but hopefully there's solace in that what the husband may have loved found its way to someone who will cherish it. :)

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this!!! :eek2:

Come back Bron!!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey!! Don’t leave us hanging!!!! This is better than anything I’ve seen on Telly or read lately!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come on! There's so much more we need to know! :-o
Did you scramble back home a grab those babies back out of said fish tank?
This was the score of the century (and every PS'rs dream). :love:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this story! And I’d love to hear what the lady (may she RIP) had to say about her life. It’s like you’ve brought new life out of her and her husband’s memories. Lovely!

Q

Queenie60

Chapter 2?????? Pleeassse??? I'm on the edge of my seat

kuriso

Rough_Rock
OoOhhh.. I can't wait for you to tell us more!!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is she is so distracted by Truth’s beauty, she forgot to finish the story. :mrgreen2:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 this is simply cruel and unusual for you to leave us hanging! :x2

Just teasing. :lol: Really looking forward to the rest of your awesome story!

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
What a great story! Looking forward to the rest of it!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A795D7BF-92E5-4D7B-895A-72276D51918E.jpeg F87E5A1D-9428-4C4F-B4BD-32541686B44C.jpeg F352E3AE-ECDB-4959-A88E-CD97B63A7E3A.jpeg 09C26DEC-0AB1-48C5-890B-3B65BEA2F5A7.jpeg 96D1EEAB-E153-480F-82EA-5EA2009C2758.jpeg So, I’m back home and I’m looking at the pretty pale lemon crystal with my Loupe. Hmm, has a feather inclusion to one side and the tone is too soft to be Citrine (typically more golden) and wait... it’s double refractive.
I think this is a sapphire, a very nice sapphire. OMG, What the ? I wonder if any of the others are actually gems
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh,
I dumped the whole lot into the bottom of the Lalique fish tank, now I’m going to have to FISH them out!
So the painstaking sorting starts.
After many many hours with a Loupe and a Presidum gem tester I’m sorting out what is glass or CZ and what is something else. The bottom of my display has literally hundreds of crystals that I’ve collected over the years.
Then comes the need for a microscope.
Then comes the need for better lighting and greater magnification and darkfield illumination
Then comes my close association with “Lotus Gemology” and their library of sapphire and ruby inclusions.
Then comes my enrollment into a formal Gemology course with purchase of additional equipment and access to more sophisticated equipment and the knowledge of how to use it.
Then comes the realization that I have a substantial quantity of gemstones, including rubies and sapphires.
So “Truth” was the gem that bounced out, “Truth” was the one that put me on my journey of discovery, learning and amazement that continues.
My assumption is that Mr had gems at home that he was working with or had put to one side for further attention. A number of them have minor chips, flaws or a slightly “odd shape”. Whoever sorted his stuff after his death, maybe the Mrs, must have assumed that if it wasn’t in the safe it wasn’t valuable and so just packed everything else up, put them in boxes and into the bottom of the wardrobes the leftover stuff went. And there they stayed, maybe 30 years!
Interesting I got a quantity of jewellers findings mainly gem mounts. All “white metal”, no yellow gold. I wonder if someone thought them silver and not worth anything and ignored them, btw, they all turned out to be platinum.
A treasure trove.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amazing! Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the lots?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, wow and wow!! That is unbelievable!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
35979AF1-9DA9-4EDC-8EA2-CC51606021F9.jpeg BA0C8C7A-E5AE-4218-AC87-79B151DBE096.jpeg CB758133-9616-4F9C-AEA0-BBE84B12D296.jpeg F1956604-0175-4E23-8C21-919F6071E87B.jpeg 1C0F0719-CE00-47F2-8DDB-EF96C6D8C07C.jpeg DFB344F6-3D40-431A-97A0-64C2B78BEFFC.jpeg FC21EEA1-4F1C-4C3C-9CCB-CE22CFA4F345.jpeg 359D0182-8F92-4E6F-82A7-56E36127D197.jpeg 5EB36D1D-A1D8-4816-B379-C3DA1467ECE8.jpeg The rubies.
Yes the *rubies* some with identication pending.
Rubies are tricky. Some are kind enough to display, under microscope, easily identifiable inclusions (Burmese and unheated) the others hmm.
I have spent countless hours peering down the microscope at these gems, thinking “no”, “yes” “no” “yes” maybe” - sigh.
The others are not flame fusion but they could be Ramaura Flux rubies. These probably need specialized testing which isn’t available here in Australia.
In their “favour” is their non “standard shapes” and dimensions ie not cut to say 10 x 8 and carat weights.
Of most interest is “Ruby Ruby”.
She is the Queen.
She is the most glorious colour BUT has decent chip to one end AND has a significant feather inclusion running left to right. Not surface reaching as it is, but a recut might be impossible due to it.
She is 6.19 carats.

Attachments

• 021BD688-08EA-452C-8435-D1B389BE982A.jpeg
    021BD688-08EA-452C-8435-D1B389BE982A.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 32

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! This is the stuff you read about.... that happens to people you don’t know!

Ermmmm, ok, I don’t KNOW you but you know :lol:

So happy for you!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is the stuff that dreams are made of. It seems like it was a labor of love on your part to discover each and every stone. What a wonderful thing for you to have found these, and for them to have been discovered.

I really enjoyed reading this story. I'd love to see pics of the rubies!

ETA: And now I see them- swoon. Absolutely swooning here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results