shape
carat
color
clarity

The story of the aquamarine from the Isle of Capri

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey- what a fantastic and sweet story! Your nieces are lucky girls to be part of such a great legacy!

ETA: and the stones are gorgeous
30.gif
!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, thank you alll so very much for all your kind words, I am so touched by all your comments. I was quite emotional writing it all down, but I am glad that I did. Thank you especially to Ambergretchen who has encouraged me to preserve the story for my girls. I will do that.

One funny thing I forgot to mention: Mum met Dorothy again after a break in their relationship when she took up driving the "old folk" as Mum liked to call them, to bingo. My Mum had a huge community spirit and was always volunteering for helping out other people, especially the "old folk". My sister and I used to chuckle because Mum was every bit as old as many of them. I remember telling Dorothy this one day after we had lost my Mum and Dorothy was quite indignant. "Cheeky Mare!", she exclaimed as she puffed on her kingsize Benson & Hedges, whilst sipping a very large, but never empty glass of single malt, "Your Mum was older than me"!

It''s been quite a surreal and emotionally draining day. The minute I finished writing my last post, I flew out of the door to take my girlfriend''s daughter shopping for invitations, and paraphernalia for her forthcoming 9th birthday party. My friend Kath couldn''t take her because sadly she is eking out her last days in hospice. Last week I took Georgia shopping for funeral clothes and on Friday I take her sister - Emily. Today I discovered I know marginally less about organising a young girl''s birthday party than I do about buying a young girl clothes. Another one of life''s humbling lessons.

To end on an upbeat note, because I''m going off to bed in a minute with a large G&T. The following photo is a picture of my beloved nieces Lisa and Rachael. Of course they are grown now with daughters of their own this age, but this is my favourite picture of them.

Lisa and Rachael.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:31:39 PM
Author: Ellen
I love the story Gailey, and I wasn''t expecting the end. So how big did the original EC turn out to be? And I can''t wait to see the CADS!!

I''m really flattered you like my ring so much. I''ve said it before, but I''ll say it again. I am shocked at the response it got, I just never dreamed so many people would feel the way they do about it.
1.gif
Ellen,

The original stone was a honking 23.04 cts and 18 x 14mm!!

CADs & update later on today I hope, just fired off a couple of questions to Wink. BTW, what was the thickness of your shank? I am thinking 2mm would be good. That would leave room for a little eternity ring one day!

I think the huge appeal of your ring is because it is classic, timeless, elegant and fairly simple - what''s there to beat? Nothing really, it''s beautiful.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gailey,

I can''t wait to see the CAD pictures and I have to say your stones turned out GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif
. I so loved reading your story, it was so touching.

You are a lovely woman and I am so glad Dorothy was in your life and you in hers.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

Thank you for writing such a spellbinding story. It''s lovely.

LS

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:37:13 PM
Author: Gailey

I love the story Gailey, and I wasn''t expecting the end. So how big did the original EC turn out to be? And I can''t wait to see the CADS!!

I''m really flattered you like my ring so much. I''ve said it before, but I''ll say it again. I am shocked at the response it got, I just never dreamed so many people would feel the way they do about it.
1.gif
Ellen,

CADs & update later on today I hope, just fired off a couple of questions to Wink. BTW, what was the thickness of your shank? I am thinking 2mm would be good. That would leave room for a little eternity ring one day!

I think the huge appeal of your ring is because it is classic, timeless, elegant and fairly simple - what''s there to beat? Nothing really, it''s beautiful.
WOW. I''m with you, just a tad too big.
5.gif
But what I really meant was, how big did the EC cut from Dorathy''s stone end up being?

You''re correct, 2mm.

And I agree with your assessment of my Aqua. I guess while I knew "I" loved that type of ring, I didn''t think so many others would. I just figured they''d think it was "plain". lol

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 3:33:41 PM

Date: 3/12/2009 12:37:13 PM
Author: Gailey

1.gif
Ellen,

WOW. I''m with you, just a tad too big.
5.gif
But what I really meant was, how big did the EC cut from Dorathy''s stone end up being?

You''re correct, 2mm.

And I agree with your assessment of my Aqua. I guess while I knew ''I'' loved that type of ring, I didn''t think so many others would. I just figured they''d think it was ''plain''. lol
Sorry Ellen, I misunderstood. The EC from Dorothy''s stone is 2.35 cts, 7.42 x 7.43 x 5.05 mm. I''m just waiting for some feedback from Wink then I will post some more details.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gailey I LOVED this story! It was wonderful, and thank you so much for sharing it with us. It was truly touching.

I''m so glad Peter helped you out, he really is a gentleman. And he produces great work!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Gailey, for sharing this wonderful story. You write beautifully. (I enjoyed the photos as well, of course
1.gif
!)

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Gailey, love those pretty spinels! And even more than that, I just loved the story behind them. It sounds like you have something truly precious on your hands. Thank you for sharing.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful story!
And the stones are so pretty!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thank you for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results