shape
carat
color
clarity

The story of my ring's grading issue

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I stand by my previous choice of the 2.14. It is almost as white as the 1.94, looks very close in size to the 2.28, and performs similar to my current stone. It is also the lowest in price :))

Agreed. It looks the whitest of the three from the front but, more surprisingly to me, also appears nearly as white from the pavilion view as the G. Honestly, if you told me that all three were I color, I would believe it. That tells me that either a.) The G is grossly mis-graded or b.) My eyes are playing tricks on me.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just listening to your previous comments, I would choose the 2.28 for you. My thoughts are simple -- by your own admission, you aren't color sensitive. The stone is still very bright and has excellent fire. But most importantly you felt the 2.14 was lacking in fire, so I think that will always be in the back of your head since you saw the difference.

Bonus points is you get a larger stone and you are still under budget. It seems to offer great bang for the buck, is clearly a quality stone with all performance images, etc to prove it. But most importantly I feel it "spoke" to you differently than the others.

Diamonds are supposed to make you feel beautiful and awesome. Your family and friends seem to have confirmed this too. I believe the 2.28 does that for you so the choice seems rather obvious to an outsider.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Truly you are a winner regardless of what you decide.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not able to see any difference between the 2.14 and the 2.28 on the video. Of course, the size of the 2.28 gets my attention since I'm not able
to see any difference. I think they are both beautiful and look like nice performers.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I still prefer 2.28. The differences are subtle, but it's the most lively stone with most fire at all angles of the three, plus it looks slightly less tinted than 2.14 from the side, at least on that video. If I were you, I'd harass the helpful Whiteflash folks to provide answers to your specific questions. Which one looks least tinted in person? Which one seem to stand out with fire/sparkles?, etc. etc. Have multiple people view the stone.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so here is the deal with color as I have experienced it. I went from and F to a K. MRB to and OEC.

I saw a difference only in certain lighting conditions and environments. Now, this is for me only, I saw a difference in:
1. Elevator with yellow gold metallic walls at my office. My F stayed very bright and white. My K showed yellow body color still with lots of fire.
2. In very dim lighting I see more white light return with the F than the K.
I am in these environments only about 10% of the time IRL so I can live with it.

In the videos you attached I could not see any noticeable color difference between the stones, which would probably be the case most of the time IRL. However how often would you be in environments where you can see the difference? Maybe you are not color sensitive enough to notice the difference in any environment. Maybe you are. Only you would know.

As an aside, I am more color sensitive with MRBs. I had purchased a pair of I ACAs for studs that I returned. I ended up buying a G to match my F for my studs. I could see the tint in my I’s and didn’t like it.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2.14 the best. It is a really nice contrasty stone, it looks almost as large as the 2.28, almost as while as the “G” and I just think that it is a crisper stone.

Some get really hung up on the numbers, but all of these stones are beautifully cut and this video clearly shows that one angle/table/depth combo is not the “one to rule them all”.

611374E0-4EF2-4C09-9178-CC0ECF7CF8D7.jpeg

D3F0963B-B554-4A89-86C7-6494A2E1C996.jpeg

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 2.14 the best. It is a really nice contrasty stone, it looks almost as large as the 2.28, almost as while as the “G” and I just think that it is a crisper stone.

Some get really hung up on the numbers, but all of these stones are beautifully cut and this video clearly shows that one angle/table/depth combo is not the “one to rule them all”.

611374E0-4EF2-4C09-9178-CC0ECF7CF8D7.jpeg

D3F0963B-B554-4A89-86C7-6494A2E1C996.jpeg

@SimoneDi It might be better to label the stones to avoid confusion. For the side view, the left most one should be the 2.28.

And yes, the lower the pavilion angle, the darker the arrow contrast tends to be true.
Some like that effect, and some don't and see the darker center. In real life, you tend to not notice the crisp arrow patterns.

Also, the camera may have an obstruction or light source that's unequal to all stones in an alignment. It also has one lens as to people with two eyes, so it can't capture what you see in person.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I watched the videos a few times and here are my thoughts:
*Forget this "G"-it's not worth spending for G-color if the stone looks more like an "I".
*I think the 2.14 has the most defined arrows and is the crispest cut stone of the three. Also, if I'm correct, it looks like it might have the highest crown, but I thought I saw some tint from the side as it rotated.
*Overall, I think the 2.28, the one on the far right, is the nicest looking stone with the most fire and least amount of tint.

I would be torn between wanting those crisp facets and higher crown and wanting the size...so I don't honestly know what to tell you...maybe there is another stone that incorporates the crisp facets with the larger size?? Would that be something to look for? If not, I think I would buy the 2.28.
I hope that helps you! :)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to go with the 2.28ct. It spoke to you when you saw it in person and you weren't able to stop thinking about it. We can dissect these three stones all day, but ultimately all that matters is how you feel about the stone when you look at it in person, and the 2.28ct made the biggest impression on you.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
I too don't see much difference in performance in the last video. I think from a performance point of view you would be good with any of them. In your videos from the WF visit, I thought the 2.28 looked whiter but I hate to only have that short clip to make a decision. Did the rep think that the 2.28 looked whiter than the 2.14?
When I was in store, the representative and I both think the 2.14 is slightly whiter.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in store, the representative and I both think the 2.14 is slightly whiter.

You also probably were able to do upside down direct comparison, so if that's what you saw, then the stone was probably less tinted. However, as you remember, it had less sparkles, and I believe you noticed that correctly. What's more important?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi It might be better to label the stones to avoid confusion. For the side view, the left most one should be the 2.28.

And yes, the lower the pavilion angle, the darker the arrow contrast tends to be true.
Some like that effect, and some don't and see the darker center. In real life, you tend to not notice the crisp arrow patterns.

Also, the camera may have an obstruction or light source that's unequal to all stones in an alignment. It also has one lens as to people with two eyes, so it can't capture what you see in person.

Yes to the left most one being the 2.28.

I agree that different people prefer different diamond proportions, I am obviously sharing my personal observations and preferences. OP should pick the one that draws her eyes.

Last edited:

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Oh Gosh! You remind me of me ten years ago! I was scouring the specs like a maniac, seeking perfection. After 30 years of diamond collecting, I kind of just gave up on all this, and now, when I choose a diamond I go by one thing...does it have a presence that makes me happy. Meaning, when I look at it, does it smile and wink back at me.
If yes, then I'll go to the specs and double check for issues that might matter like side feathers etc., or to confirm what my eye is telling me. And, at the end of the day, I have to trust my own intuition about it's 'character' and not a lab report.
When you fall in love, do you get upset and reject them because you found they have a couple of freckles? No. It doesn't matter.
And, honestly, if I were looked at under a loupe, I'd probably be an I SI 1...on a good day!
So I don't insult my diamonds either, and look at them like the rocks from the earth that they are! Enjoy!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Gosh! You remind me of me ten years ago! I was scouring the specs like a maniac, seeking perfection. After 30 years of diamond collecting, I kind of just gave up on all this, and now, when I choose a diamond I go by one thing...does it have a presence that makes me happy. Meaning, when I look at it, does it smile and wink back at me.
If yes, then I'll go to the specs and double check for issues that might matter like side feathers etc., or to confirm what my eye is telling me. And, at the end of the day, I have to trust my own intuition about it's 'character' and not a lab report.
When you fall in love, do you get upset and reject them because you found they have a couple of freckles? No. It doesn't matter.
And, honestly, if I were looked at under a loupe, I'd probably be an I SI 1...on a good day!
So I don't insult my diamonds either, and look at them like the rocks from the earth that they are! Enjoy!
LOL so true. But there's something about Buyer's Remorse period, and the obsessive compulsion that kicks in especially because it involves such high dollar amount to satisfy the mind cleanliness that you're making the best possible choice.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I still go through that at times And the never ending nagging feeling there's something better out there. Diamond hunger is weird.

I liked the 2.28 by the way. And I color is lovely...I Like the warmth and the white light they give off. G and I seem like cousins to me. Lovely number, too.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there's any bad choice here. But if the 2.2 spoke to you IRL then I would go with that one.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
You say the 2.14 looked the whitest in the store. But which do you prefer? If your aim is whiteness then that’s what will make you happy! If fire than that etc

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has your sales rep told you which she believes to be a prettier, livelier , whiter stone? I trust my sales rep at wf more than my own eyes!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Confirmed with WF, the very beginning of the video , the location is left2.14 I -- middle1.94 G( out of game) ---right 2.28 I
It’s easy to tell- just look at how much higher the crown is from the side.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s easy to tell- just look at how much higher the crown is from the side.

Also the 2.14 has a more short and squatty appearance due to both overall depth being less and the shallower crown angle.

The screen caps @SimoneDi took captures it's perfectly, except you have to keep in mind as the video rotates the 2.14 shifts from left position in the face up view to the right in the side/pavilion view.

Kind of thought I was just being nerdy for noticing those small details. Glad I'm not the only one.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But 2.14 is not a good #, so buy the 2.28. :bigsmile:

Had an Asian professor that believed in lucky 8's. In her class 88+ was an A, 78+ a B and so on. Many of my classmates nominated her their favorite teacher, lol. She was cool and I appreciated her for more than a 2pt advantage.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought you might like this Vatché 163 setting as it’s like the HPD. I know you didn’t like the 1513 as much also shown below.
B0E95AD3-40BE-4A85-A6A2-9B3319A979B7.jpeg 486DBAAB-FF5E-4E6D-AC6C-856E81BA3119.jpeg

@Julyisjuly, I’ve been following this thread with interest and wish you all the best in making your decision. I also have an I ACA 1.98 carat and love it! I don’t think you can make a bad choice between the two you’re considering. I just wanted to show you a setting from Vatché that is very close to the HPD setting you like, as you could get this through Whiteflash.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results