shape
carat
color
clarity

The search continues... How ''bout this 1.22ct K diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

someguy

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody! Before you all run away screaming, don't worry about this thread becoming too long as I now have a better idea of what I should be getting. I talked a little to my gf about the whole thing and this is what I found:

1) She like big diamonds, but isn't hung up on the whole 1ct thing. As long as it looks big, she doesn't care.

2) She doesn't mind colour that much.

So, with this last point in mind, what does everyone think of this diamond?

1.22ct/K/SI1

Rhino says that I'd be surprised at how white it looks...

Janelle

Rough_Rock
That is a beautiful diamond! The brilliancescope and isee score is awesome. If your girlfriend doesn't mind a warm diamond, then I think it will make a wonderful engagement ring.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
This SI-1 looks really clean to me. I have an SI-1, and it's got a lot more going on in it than that and it's still considered eye-clean.

On account of the colour, I would consider setting in yellow gold if it were me, and then I'd just enjoy.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think it would surprise many people how white looking a well cut K stone will look. Worth a look.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya Someguy.

I really like that diamond a lot! I also am very fond of the warmer colors, so that could be why, though I doubt the color will really be noticable.

Take care!

win

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds like a winner. I have a stone that was graded at J/K, and I didn't notice the tint until I knew it was there, and it's not even an ideal cut. I'm sure people will be too mesmerized by the brilliance to notice the slight tint.
1.gif

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
It sounds to me like she this is the best of both worlds -- it's got size, and it sounds like something this BIG will make her very happy, and for a guy who's been hanging out here -- that cut has gotta make YOU ecstatic! It looks like it's top notch, and the light it's gonna throw back is going to be blinding. The price is awesome, too. Sounds like WIN, WIN, WIN to me. :)

Kris

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that looks nice.

I love my K/L OEC. I wear it more often than my F transition cut because I like the cut better.

someguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! And to think that I was previously having doubts about a J... Look what I'm considering now! LOL! This rock is looking more and more like a winner.

Glitterata--Is your K/L set in platinum? That's one thing of which I am sure of: I have to get a platinum setting and so that K might look a little weird.

I guess if it's too yellow, I can always send it back and get a smaller J or I. That would really suck though because of the US/canada shipping nightmare.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Ask the vendor their opinion...

I suspect you will like it...is platinum a must ???

If it doesn't do it for you..

Instead of getting a different stone...perhaps you could just get a different setting

Keep us posted
10.gif

someguy

Rough_Rock
Hi diane,

Yup, platinum is a must... That's the ONLY thing I knew with certainty before starting on this quest. Lol!

I'll certainly keep you all posted
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Some people claim to be able to pick up on color more readily, but I really can't. When I had my grandmother's ring appraised (1.1ct J/K SI1), visions of D-E-F danced in my head. I admit I was a little surprised when I learned its true color. It's set in platinum, and like I said, I can pick up on the "warmth," but before I knew it was there, all I saw was "oooh - sparkly diamond."

What kind of setting were you planning on getting? Color is more easy to spot from the side, so if it holds the diamond high like a tiffany setting, it might show the color more than a lower setting. I'm actually planning on having the diamond set in a Vatche x prong some day, which I hope is low enough to have people view it mostly from the top.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mara pulled up Nate's post. His/her's by now, e-ring is a sizeable J color center set with J color flanking, 3 stone ring. I'm almost sure it's platinum. Take a look at that gorgeous baby!
love.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Someguy.

I posted a picture of my K/L next to my F on the thread called "lower color grades" in the "Show Me the Ring" section. The appraiser commented that it was probably edging close to an L.

Yes, my K/L is in platinum. In real life, you can definitely see some color if you hold it next to the F. But it doesn't look yellow, exactly--more clear with a creamy cast. Have you ever been to a paint store to choose a shade of white for your walls? It's like that. You wouldn't calll it yellow--it's still white, but a warmer white than some of the other shades.

I think it looks nice in platinum. But then, my object in choosing the setting wasn't to make the stone look less yellow than it really is. I don't care if it looks faintly yellow. It is what it is. My object was to choose a pretty setting that was appropriate for the period in which the stone was cut. I was trying to replicate my grandmother's engagement ring, which this is the stone from. (She had it reset in a pinky ring as an anniversary present for my grandfather, many, many years ago. After he died, she reset it as a pendant and gave it to me as a graduation present. I eventually decided I wanted to wear it as a ring.)

And of course, my stone is an Old European Cut, while yours is a super-ideal modern brilliant. I'm sure that makes a difference. What difference exactly, I couldn't tell you.

Got Rocks?

Rough_Rock
Dear Someguy:

I think you are going to LOVE this diamond. I have a J from Good Old Gold and honestly, it's so white I never notice even a TINGE of color, even in platinum. And my diamond, like this one, is a little larger also and I had read posts about possibly noticing color in larger stones but the J color was such a non-issue (mine's a 2.08). I worried myself over it but I was tempted by the size and reports and I'm so glad I went for it. In fact, I have sent GOG a couple of notes telling them how the J color and SI-2 turned out to be such non-issues after I worried about them. I can tell you from experience, they will describe that stone to a 'T'. And their eyes don't miss anything. I have been nothing but pleased with mine. Don't EVER judge the color of what you're going to be getting by what you see at your local jewelers, because my J is 10 times whiter than what my jeweler calls a J, and that's no exxageration. I say "Go for it!"
wavey.gif
appl.gif
She will LOVE IT!
love.gif
And so will you.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If she's not hung up on colour, and this meets with your budget parameters, you could definitely have a winner here.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
OK.....I feel like I finally match now.....

scoob.....daphne????? where aaaaaaaaaare you? LOL

Got Rocks?

Rough_Rock
By the way, please don't set it in a basket setting just because you think the bottom is going to show too much color. That's the mistake I made.

I thought my J was going to show too much color. I took that sucker OUT of that basket setting because the bottom of my stone is so gorgeous too. It is now set in a HIGH Plat. 6 prong so I can see the prisms on the bottom now too. And....i've never regretted the color one iota. My personal opinion...it's like getting the best of both worlds...great size for the price.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I think it's a good price for the excellent cut. I'm only like you, looking and the g-f doesn't mind a slight tinge of color either. I think it'll give you the best size & sparkle for the buck. Chances are only trained eye will be able to tell the difference between this and something else.

I'm starting to like goodolegold and the wealth of information he present with each diamond. In the meantime, I'm still learning and looking

cheers,
Chris

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
To repeat what everyone said...

Diamond is (more than)perfect except for color. It's more eyeclean than any other SI1 i've seen, cut, leakage, Isee2, brilliancescope are fantastic.

I've always heard as a general rule colors like that will show in Plat.. but I've never seen a J in Plat so I wouldn't know. Talk to Rhino. He would know and he's honest. Ask him for his honest opinion on color with a Plat setting. And think about the setting you want b/c as said, if its a high, exposed setting, thats diff than a lower more concealed one.

chris

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Looks very pretty. The SI 1 is incredibly clean and you'll be amazed to see how white the K color is. Obviously, not white white, but with a very faint and pleaseant tint to it. This is a great stone for the price!
1.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Some folks actually like a slight color to the diamond - a warm glow, perhaps. If Rhino said it looks white, I would not be all too concern with the K color. By all the information, it is an exceptional diamond.

rodent.gif

someguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'm thinking that the stone looks really good... I checked out Glitterata and Nate's rings and they do look awesome. Now, the only thing that will get me is the fifth C...COST!

Depending on what type of setting she will want, I may not be able to afford it. I don't think that my gf would like it if I was completely broke for the next 6 months and couldn't do anything with her! This place is DEFINITIVELY not good for my wallet! LOL! Sorry for being so indecisive about this!

loopy.gif
errrr.gif
loopy.gif
<--- Me stuck in all this diamond crazyness!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't tell my wife this but she has a K color set in platinum.
1.gif
No complaints thus far and it's been *years*.
2.gif
muahaha

jk... actually she does know.
1.gif

Rhino

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks great! As for setting, what about just getting a simple platinum Tiffany style or similar? GOG has them...also I like the platinum stuller 8 prong, it's kind of like a cool twist on the typical Tiffany style. Simple is cheaper and you can maximize the rock itself...then upgrade the setting later, possibly around the time of the wedding when you decide on a wedding band!
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Heck, yeah, Some! Dittos to Mara's comment. Get that gorgeous diamond, and mount it in a temporary, simple solitare. $100 or so. Then you can propose, get engaged, and the 2 of you can shop settings together. Besides giving you time to pick the perfect setting for her e-ring, it'll give you time to save up for a really nice or even custom made ring. Something both of you will cherish for years to come!
1.gif

BTW, ALJDewey just did the same exact thing. Even tho AL has a plan for the desired ring, getting the perfect rock took priority. AL's beautiful diamond will be set in a temp mount while it awaits is final home in a very unique, custom design ring.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results