shape
carat
color
clarity

The redesigned setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Ok. Here is the setting I am thinking about going with. I am going to have it custom made. Please disregard the imperfect photoshopping... I am no expert. Also the butterfly will look more like a butterfly in person rather than something I colored with a crayon. The prongs on top are on 4 corners, but with two prongs on each corner. The diamonds in the butterfly wings will be somewhat unnoticeable. The wings will be bright cut to the make the whole wing sparkle. I will also post a picture of the top profile I am hoping for so you can see the prongs.

Right now, I am looking at a .78ct diamond for this setting.

My main worry is that there is too much going on. I''m not sure how it will look in-person. The last thing I want is to give my girlfriend a tacky ring.

Please be critical. Do you think the design inside the cathedral part looks tacky? Sometimes I have myself feeling like I am looking at two eyes or something.

pic.jpeg

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Top profile - may end up with a slightly larger band to accommodate the setting design. The diamond in this photo is .5 ct. There will be 5 or 6 small diamonds on each side from the top. The band will be engraved on all three sides.

top.jpeg

alk182

Rough_Rock
im no expert, but i think its beautiful and unique!! i think your girlfriend will LOVE it, putting so much thought into it, your a great bf!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 10:41:25 AM
Author:justinislooking
Ok. Here is the setting I am thinking about going with. I am going to have it custom made. Please disregard the imperfect photoshopping... I am no expert. Also the butterfly will look more like a butterfly in person rather than something I colored with a crayon. The prongs on top are on 4 corners, but with two prongs on each corner. The diamonds in the butterfly wings will be somewhat unnoticeable. The wings will be bright cut to the make the whole wing sparkle. I will also post a picture of the top profile I am hoping for so you can see the prongs.

Right now, I am looking at a .78ct diamond for this setting.

My main worry is that there is too much going on. I''m not sure how it will look in-person. The last thing I want is to give my girlfriend a tacky ring.

Please be critical. Do you think the design inside the cathedral part looks tacky? Sometimes I have myself feeling like I am looking at two eyes or something.
I think it will be beautiful! It would be cool if you could somehow have those little curly-ques with the bezel set diamonds
in them coming off the end tips of the butterfly tail. Dont know if that is a possibility but it would look neat. I take it future
FI is fond of butterflys? Very unique!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think that there''s too much going on at all. Are you open to ideas? Can the top of the butterfly wings be made to curve up slightly and lead into the prongs? I think that would make the profile look a bit sleeker.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 11:15:28 AM
Author: Addy
I don''t think that there''s too much going on at all. Are you open to ideas? Can the top of the butterfly wings be made to curve up slightly and lead into the prongs? I think that would make the profile look a bit sleeker.

Oh, that would be so cool! Like the butterflies on each side were holding the diamond!

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 11:15:28 AM
Author: Addy
Thats a great idea. I don''t have photoshop handy so I can''t do too much from here. I don''t think the wings would be able to flow into/be a part of the prongs though. The prongs aren''t flush with the setting at all and because its a double-prong, its not really conducive to this kind of thing in my opinion.

What I could possibly do is make the wings come up a little higher and be more flush with the top of the band. I''ll give you a MS Paint fix-up. Keep in mind that this will all be white gold, so the color differences will not be as apparent on the ring. Hopefully the bright cut will make the butterfly stand out though.

Its not pretty(done in Paint)... but this is a possibility.

test.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about using the antenna from the butterfly to hold up the diamond. They would be coming more from the center of the ring then
the wings. I dont know...is that to weird?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful! If knox is helping you make it I''m sure they can help make the details come to life beautifully.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Should I do it with or without the cathedral thing going on?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I really like the top view with the prongs, so I say keep the cathedral setting and maybe make the butterfly a little bit more filigree and less solid metal. But I think the size and shape of the butterfly is lovely.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 11:30:27 PM
Author: sarap333
I really like the top view with the prongs, so I say keep the cathedral setting and maybe make the butterfly a little bit more filigree and less solid metal. But I think the size and shape of the butterfly is lovely.
What do you mean "make it a bit more filigree"? I was going to have it bright cut. The image I drew on it was just to show the shape.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Right, I know the butterfly image shown is just for shape, and I think the brightwork will be beautiful, but if I''m defining brightwork the same way you are, it means the butterfly will have a deeply engraved appearance, like the lower part of the ring. What I like about the ring design is the transition from the brightwork on the bottom of the ring to the airy, open metalwork (what I term filigree) at the shoulders. So what I meant was make the butterfly shape more open to keep with that transition. Does that make sense?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would add a raised ridge around the wings or maybe have the wings indented into the metal.
Make them 3d instead of flat.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I would be so excited to own this piece! Your design is lovely and your future fiancee will adore it!

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 9:41:32 AM
Right, I know the butterfly image shown is just for shape, and I think the brightwork will be beautiful, but if I'm defining brightwork the same way you are, it means the butterfly will have a deeply engraved appearance, like the lower part of the ring. What I like about the ring design is the transition from the brightwork on the bottom of the ring to the airy, open metalwork (what I term filigree) at the shoulders. So what I meant was make the butterfly shape more open to keep with that transition. Does that make sense?
I get what you are saying. Its something I need to reiterate when having it made. I am big on making the ring 'flow'. I'm afraid to go too much into detail with my sketching, because it sounds like the jeweler will be taking some freedom with my design anyway. My original comment to you sounded pretty combative. I hope it wasn't taken that way.

Thanks Tuckins - I've been questioning this design a lot. I am praying that she will love it. Its nice to hear such an enthusiastic position.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
The butterfly motif is exquisite.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 12:08:08 PM
Author: justinislooking
Date: 4/26/2009 9:41:32 AM

Right, I know the butterfly image shown is just for shape, and I think the brightwork will be beautiful, but if I''m defining brightwork the same way you are, it means the butterfly will have a deeply engraved appearance, like the lower part of the ring. What I like about the ring design is the transition from the brightwork on the bottom of the ring to the airy, open metalwork (what I term filigree) at the shoulders. So what I meant was make the butterfly shape more open to keep with that transition. Does that make sense?

I get what you are saying. Its something I need to reiterate when having it made. I am big on making the ring ''flow''. I''m afraid to go too much into detail with my sketching, because it sounds like the jeweler will be taking some freedom with my design anyway. SORRY FOR THE CAPS; I CAN''T GET THE BOLD FUNCTION TO WORK! YES, YOU WANT THE JEWELER TO HAVE ARTISTIC FREEDOM, BUT ALSO (IN MY EXPERIENCE WITH CUSTOM WORK) JEWELERS WANT TO HAVE A CLEAR IDEA OF WHAT YOU WANT THE FINISHED PIECE TO LOOK LIKE

My original comment to you sounded pretty combative. I hope it wasn''t taken that way.NO OFFENSE TAKEN

Thanks Tuckins - I''ve been questioning this design a lot. I am praying that she will love it. Its nice to hear such an enthusiastic position. IT IS A VERY BEAUTIFUL DESIGN AND IT''S SO CLOSE TO BEING PERFECT; JUST NEED TO TWEAK A FEW THINGS :)

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
*edit* Sorry this picture is big. This post can be deleted. One after this has a better sized image.

Possibility2_final.jpg

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Hope its not too big... What do you think of the squiggles that way? I think it makes it flow a little better. Not 100% sold on it.

Possibility2_final_top.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wow -- that little change made a big difference. The butterfly looks very airy and light now and the flow with rest of the ring is great. Now all you need to do is soften the bottom of the prongs somehow where they join with the top of the butterfly. I really like the part of the prongs that hold the diamond; what I don''t like is how straight and thick they look at the top of the butterfly. Can they be a bit thinner and more curved without affecting the way they look from the top?

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I think the design looks very pretty
1.gif

Just one thing, I dunno if this would be a concern, but would the diamond on the side rub against the wedding band?

Overall I don''t think too much is going on, I think it is very unique and gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results