shape
carat
color
clarity

The RealReal warning--I feel so stupid; returns using their label do not automatically carry insurance

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a Tiffany etoile ring and it was too big so I returned it, using their shipping return label. They did not warn me that it did not carry insurance. Apparently it was stolen somewhere en route and the box turned up at their warehouse empty. I am calling them now but now sure what I can do. Just a warning to others--I can't believe I assumed I did not need to add my own insurance. I thought with an established company, using their label and return process, it would be covered.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
That's awful! Thank you for warning us all. I've shopped with them numerous times before, but I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of one of their stores, so I make returns in person. Is there any chance your credit card has theft protection (or if that would even apply)? Or if your homeowners or renter's policy has theft or loss protection?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
That's awful! Thank you for warning us all. I've shopped with them numerous times before, but I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of one of their stores, so I make returns in person. Is there any chance your credit card has theft protection (or if that would even apply)? Or if your homeowners or renter's policy has theft or loss protection?

That’s a good idea. The customer service rep said that they would start the investigation process with UPS and then she said depending on what they find they would issue a return (!). My concern is if it was stolen at the UPS store where I dropped it off, then the weight of the package would appear to have never changed and so they couldn’t pinpoint what, if anything, happened to it. Since she mentioned possibly getting a refund, I will wait to see the result of the investigation (she said it takes about 10 days.)

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a good idea. The customer service rep said that they would start the investigation process with UPS and then she said depending on what they find they would issue a return (!). My concern is if it was stolen at the UPS store where I dropped it off, then the weight of the package would appear to have never changed and so they couldn’t pinpoint what, if anything, happened to it. Since she mentioned possibly getting a refund, I will wait to see the result of the investigation (she said it takes about 10 days.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and please do update us when you have more info. At the very least, they should make it clearer to their customers that insurance is not provided, so people can make an educated risk assessment to insure or not. I'm sure you are far from the first customer of theirs this has ever happened to.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and please do update us when you have more info. At the very least, they should make it clearer to their customers that insurance is not provided, so people can make an educated risk assessment to insure or not. I'm sure you are far from the first customer of theirs this has ever happened to.

Thank you for letting me vent:) I’ll update.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for letting us know it is also crazy to me that the company would issue a label and not insure. I really really hope that you get your refund.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I’m trying to stay positive since they said they’re having UPS investigate.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this out when I went to return an item I had bought on eBay, which was defective. The seller sent a return label that did not include insurance, which I affixed to the package. When I got to the P.O. and tried to purchase insurance, I learned this can no longer be done. You either have to use the return label just as it is, or pay for your own return shipping and purchase whatever insurance you want.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg. i've bought/returned some high dollar items from TRR in the past. i assumed since the shipping fees are high that they are including insurance every time. geez! will think twice before ordering from them again. :/

hope they resolve this in your favor!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I found this out when I went to return an item I had bought on eBay, which was defective. The seller sent a return label that did not include insurance, which I affixed to the package. When I got to the P.O. and tried to purchase insurance, I learned this can no longer be done. You either have to use the return label just as it is, or pay for your own return shipping and purchase whatever insurance you want.

Right, that’s exactly the issue. I mistakenly thought that using their label and staying fully within their process would be the “safest.” Didn’t even occur to me that I would not be protected.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right, that’s exactly the issue. I mistakenly thought that using their label and staying fully within their process would be the “safest.” Didn’t even occur to me that I would not be protected.

How did you get on with this ?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
The Real Real reported the wrong tracking number to UPS so I had to sort that out with UPS and now I’m waiting for the investigation of the correct package to be completed. I have a few days left of the ten-day time frame on that one. I will definitely report back. I can’t see myself buying from the Real Real again regardless of how it is resolved.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I have a happy update! The Real Real just reached out and told me the UPS investigation was complete and the Real Real would be refunding my money. UPS had told me that if they could not find the item, they would issue a refund. Since the return label was issued by the Real Real under their account with UPS, I wonder if what happened was that UPS took responsibility for the stolen item and refunded the Real Real, so the Real Real refunded me. Still frustrating/stressful that the Real Real did not automatically refund me, but made me wait through this nail biter. Thanks to everyone for your support and advice:)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I have a happy update! The Real Real just reached out and told me the UPS investigation was complete and the Real Real would be refunding my money. UPS had told me that if they could not find the item, they would issue a refund. Since the return label was issued by the Real Real under their account with UPS, I wonder if what happened was that UPS took responsibility for the stolen item and refunded the Real Real, so the Real Real refunded me. Still frustrating/stressful that the Real Real did not automatically refund me, but made me wait through this nail biter. Thanks to everyone for your support and advice:)

I am happy that there was a successful resolution for you! I have also bought high value items from TRR. Fortunately I never had to return anything but this is pretty frightening if they did not take responsibility for the insurance.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a Tiffany etoile ring and it was too big so I returned it, using their shipping return label. They did not warn me that it did not carry insurance. Apparently it was stolen somewhere en route and the box turned up at their warehouse empty. I am calling them now but now sure what I can do. Just a warning to others--I can't believe I assumed I did not need to add my own insurance. I thought with an established company, using their label and return process, it would be covered.

How scary ! but thank goodness they eventually took care of it! I’m also searching for an Etoile there, and elsewhere - was yours too big because you sized up to account for the width?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
How scary ! but thank goodness they eventually took care of it! I’m also searching for an Etoile there, and elsewhere - was yours too big because you sized up to account for the width?

I am normally a 6.25 with a 2mm-ish ring, and I probably should’ve just sized up to a 6.5, but there was one at a size 6.75 and the price was so good that I thought it would be worth trying. I was not seeing many come up in my size. This was the 3 mm, not the 4 mm width. I would suggest if possible, go to a Tiffany store to try them in the width you want so you know the best size in advance.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am SO glad this turned out in your favor!!

Just a word to the wise on TRR. They say they authenticate every item. But Last January I purchased a louis vuitton artsy GM. Thankfully I know how to authenticate my own bags-however they continually reassure the customer they do this before it gets shipped. When my item arrived and I unboxed it for inspection and cleaning/leather conditioning, as I turned the item upside down an old pill [a really old aspirin] and a travel tampon fell out [I can't make this up]. I don't know where they came from. The purse has 6 large deep pockets inside. I suppose they could have been jammed in the bottom crease of the soft suede leather. But if someone is actually checking these items by hand, they would have caught that.

So that's my TRR story. I didn't return it, and I did not notify the company because there was no "resolution" to be had. I would have kept the bag regardless. This is just a testament to their behind the scenes processes and "checking".

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I’m so glad it worked out too. It was really stressful. Pretty funny what you found in the purse! Clearly they’re not checking too carefully.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am SO glad this turned out in your favor!!

Just a word to the wise on TRR. They say they authenticate every item. But Last January I purchased a louis vuitton artsy GM. Thankfully I know how to authenticate my own bags-however they continually reassure the customer they do this before it gets shipped. When my item arrived and I unboxed it for inspection and cleaning/leather conditioning, as I turned the item upside down an old pill [a really old aspirin] and a travel tampon fell out [I can't make this up]. I don't know where they came from. The purse has 6 large deep pockets inside. I suppose they could have been jammed in the bottom crease of the soft suede leather. But if someone is actually checking these items by hand, they would have caught that.

So that's my TRR story. I didn't return it, and I did not notify the company because there was no "resolution" to be had. I would have kept the bag regardless. This is just a testament to their behind the scenes processes and "checking".

I guess this woman was prepared!
An aspirin and a tampon will get you through any emergency!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I guess this woman was prepared!
An aspirin and a tampon will get you through any emergency!

Oh I KNOW! The cats were like..hey are those ours? [in my mind im like..wtf just fell out of this bag?]

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to have found this thread before all the holiday shopping and possible returns. And, glad to hear that you got your refund @mayaINaU.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results