shape
carat
color
clarity

The process of buying a diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bloodparasites

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I''m planning on buying my diamond online.
I''ve done a lot of research (still have a bit more to do, of course) and I''m getting ready to pull the trigger.
I wanted to run this by you guys first. I think I know the "correct" process, please correct me if I''m wrong:
1. Research, research, research.
2. Figure out exactly which diamond (4 C''s, depth, table, etc) and ring I (actually, she) want. (Make sure that the ring will fit the diamond and has a matching wedding band as well).
3. Figure out the market price for the specific diamond.
4. Find a local independent appraiser.
5. Shop around and purchase the diamond with the ring (but not have the diamond mounted).
6. Have the seller ship it to the appraiser.
7. Have the diamond appraised within the refund time.
8. Have the diamond and ring shipped back to the seller and mounted by the seller.
9. Get the diamond shipped to me.
10. Verify that it is the same diamond, no damage. (How do I do this part?)

Is this correct? Is there a better/safer way to do this than how I think I''m supposed to?

I''m planning on buying a diamond within the following specs:
carat: 1.30 - 1.34
color: G - H
clarity: vs2 - si1
cut: round
table: 55-58
depth: 60-62
culet: none/pointed
girdle thickness: Medium or Slightly Thick
symmetry: Very Good, Excellent
polish: Very Good
flourescense: some/none

The ring will be:
platinum/palladium, 6 prongs, tiffany style, half rounded band

My g/f has a 4.5 ring size.

My budget is up to $9k. I''m thinking about going with abazias.com cuz they got very good prices and seem to have good feedback. It seems like a diamond with these specs run the gamut from $5k to $8k.
I''m not interested in super high clarity or super clear. I think VS2 - SI1 is good enough and won''t wreck the brilliance of the diamond. And I don''t think she would care about that stuff.

What do you guys think? Anything I''m forgetting?

Thanks.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 6:28:06 PM
Author:bloodparasites
Hey guys,

I''m planning on buying my diamond online.
I''ve done a lot of research (still have a bit more to do, of course) and I''m getting ready to pull the trigger.
I wanted to run this by you guys first. I think I know the ''correct'' process, please correct me if I''m wrong:
2. Figure out exactly which diamond (4 C''s, depth, table, etc) and ring I (actually, she) want. (Make sure that the ring will fit the diamond and has a matching wedding band as well).
5. Shop around and purchase the diamond with the ring (but not have the diamond mounted).
7. Have the diamond appraised within the refund time.
8. Have the diamond and ring shipped back to the seller and mounted by the seller.
9. Get the diamond shipped to me.
10. Verify that it is the same diamond, no damage. (How do I do this part?)

Is this correct? Is there a better/safer way to do this than how I think I''m supposed to?

I''m planning on buying a diamond within the following specs:
carat: 1.30 - 1.34
color: G - H
clarity: vs2 - si1
cut: round
table: 55-58
depth: 60-62
culet: none/pointed
girdle thickness: Medium or Slightly Thick
symmetry: Very Good, Excellent
polish: Very Good
flourescense: some/none

The ring will be:
platinum/palladium, 6 prongs, tiffany style, half rounded band

My g/f has a 4.5 ring size.

My budget is up to $9k. I''m thinking about going with abazias.com cuz they got very good prices and seem to have good feedback. It seems like a diamond with these specs run the gamut from $5k to $8k.
I''m not interested in super high clarity or super clear. I think VS2 - SI1 is good enough and won''t wreck the brilliance of the diamond. And I don''t think she would care about that stuff.

What do you guys think? Anything I''m forgetting?

Thanks.
Sounds like you know what you are doing. I am a little picker about tables, I like them under 57. I also like the crown/pavillion angles to be 34.4-35/40.4-41, but this is getting pretty nit picky.

As far as number 10 goes on the list, you can send it back to the appraiser to do an "updated appraisal," usually this costs substantially less (mine was $20), and he just checks the stone to compare it to the certification and make sure it is indeed the same stone. Then he looks at it under a microscope to check for damage to the stone and structural integrity of the setting.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
whew sounds exhausting

here's what i would do:

buy from reliable vendor like nice ice, whiteflash or good old gold. skip unecessary steps.

2. Figure out exactly which diamond (4 C's, depth, table, etc) and ring I (actually, she) want. (Make sure that the ring will fit the diamond and has a matching wedding band as well). white or yellow metal.
3. Shop around and purchase the diamond with the ring
4. mounted by the seller.
5. Get the finished ring shipped to me.
6. buy a loupe - inspect the diamond from the website photo and gia/ags certificate
7. get an insurance appraisal. insure it.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Just another option (which is what I did):
2. Figure out exactly which diamond (4 C's, depth, table, etc) and ring I (actually, she) want. (Make sure that the ring will fit the diamond and has a matching wedding band as well).
7. Have the diamond appraised within the refund time- if satisfactory keep diamond with appraiser
8. Have seller ship ring to appraiser
9. Have appraiser set diamond
10. Have appraiser give insurance appraisal and insure ring

11. Get the diamond shipped to me.
12. Verify that it is the same diamond, no damage. - If the girdle is inscribed you can take it to a jewler with a microscope to verify inscription

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 12:17:29 AM
Author: kcoursolle

As far as number 10 goes on the list, you can send it back to the appraiser to do an 'updated appraisal,' usually this costs substantially less (mine was $20), and he just checks the stone to compare it to the certification and make sure it is indeed the same stone. Then he looks at it under a microscope to check for damage to the stone and structural integrity of the setting.
Provided you like this more rigourous approach (not unreasonable), kcoursolle brings the proper fruition. Also, though Abazias may be fine, Ladykemma mentions vendors which are mendtioned more frequently here.

Regards,

(eta)...a quick spin shows one ready option at JA...

bloodparasites

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your advice. I read the links. I still have more questions though...sorry.

kcoursolle,
Why under 57? I looked at the table section in the tutorial and I can see why you want a smaller table but what is your ideal table range?
Also, thanks for your "pickiness." I want to know what the picky people look for in a diamond so it helps me be picky myself. (I want to know my stuff well so I can get my girl a sweet diamond).
1.gif

ladykemma,
I was under the impression that appraisers prefer to have an unmounted diamond to appraise. Is this correct?
Also, Is a loupe, a ideal scope?

I tried calling a local (I live in the OC) independent appraiser but I could not get in touch with her.
I''ll ask her if she can set the diamond once I get a hold of her. I''m assuming that it''s fairly trivial to set a diamond, correct?

Once again, thanks a lot guys.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, but it creates an extra step. appraisers do a lot of their work on mounted stones, and they can do quite a good job on them when mounted.

loupe-magnifying glass (:
ideal scope-tube blocks light from front, (allowing light from back,) and includes a magnifying lens for you to see detail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results