shape
carat
color
clarity

the price of a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
question: are the prices quoted by online vendors negotiable?

jewelry stores?

independent jewelers who bring stones to the house? well, i know she is. it remains to be seen whether she''ll bring me the certified stones i want but she did mention the word ''negotiable''.

what''s the protocol for negotiating, if any?

thanks.

jeannie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most online stores already run on very low profit margins (hence the excellent pricing) and usually are not negotiateable, but it never hurts to ask.

Almost all B&M stores will negotiate due to their already marked up prices.

As for an independent seller, most would negotiate too.

As for negotiation tactics, well, I''m not so good at that.
9.gif
What I''d do is get the stats on the stone, do a quick search here on the PS database for stones with the same specifications, then get a range on what it would cost. I''d make sure that her price is comparable.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I have never bought from a B&M that would not negotiate. Even Graff will negotiate. In fact, we were quoted prices different from the price tag (substantially less) in the first instance, without even asking, as I guess we didn't look like the type that didn't care, if you know what I mean.

Usually, at an every day B&M I say "What's the best price you can offer me on that piece?" I find that usually knocks off about 30-40% off the tag price. Then when they quote me something I say "Would you take X for it if I buy it now?" (usually 50%) and sometimes they say yes, sometimes no.

Never had an on-line dealer who would negotiate.

As for individual sellers, that varies by seller, but it is DEFINITELY appropriate to try to negotiate. Just don't low-ball too much because they might get insulted if it's, say, beloved Aunt Bee's broach or something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results