shape
carat
color
clarity

The Precision Gem experience:a green-blue Afghan tourmaline!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The Precision Gem experience:a green-blue Afghan tourmal

Chrono|1417610240|3794419 said:
I like the last with tab prongs AND some diamonds in the shank.

Hi Chrono :wavey: Thank you for supporting the simple option. I can see how the look can benefit from diamond in terms of oomph and sparkle. How would you add the diamonds:
- a row of diamonds in the middle row?
- some Gypsy set diamonds shattered on the shank?
- a very small and elongated step cut in the middle row?
Or....

S

SparkliesLuver

A and C get my vote.

A: I really like the slightly tapered shank. I think carres would be a nice addition yet not detract from anything.

C: Tab prongs would look great since you have a nice area for them on your stone, and the idea of some sort of grooves adds enough visual interest so it's not too plain. For some reason I wouldn't add diamonds. Maybe because the simplicity reminds me of the Trueste, except this is the version of it for your stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1417611124|3794427 said:
- a row of diamonds in the middle row? Traditional, timeless and classy.
- some Gypsy set diamonds shattered on the shank? Modern, understated and unique.
- a very small and elongated step cut in the middle row? Traditional, simple but not plain.
Or....

It depends on the look you want to achieve. There is no incorrect answer.

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

Do you like engraving? You could really spice up the shank with engraving which would be far cheaper than diamonds.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Michelez said:
Do you like engraving? You could really spice up the shank with engraving which would be far cheaper than diamonds.
+1. Your stone already makes a large and significant statement, if you're going solitaire I would do some engraving or filigree on the basket and shank. Or just halo the darn thing!! [emoji39] [emoji39] (joking, I realize you're going the solitaire route)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1417611899|3794436 said:
A and C get my vote.

A: I really like the slightly tapered shank. I think carres would be a nice addition yet not detract from anything.

C: Tab prongs would look great since you have a nice area for them on your stone, and the idea of some sort of grooves adds enough visual interest so it's not too plain. For some reason I wouldn't add diamonds. Maybe because the simplicity reminds me of the Trueste, except this is the version of it for your stone.

Thank you for helping narrowing it down Sparklies!! I think you nailed it for me as A and C have the simplicity I am looking for. I will save B. for future projects :lol:
Hopefully it will be much easier for you with the shape of your stone. Any ideas materializing yet?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1417612031|3794437 said:
Acinom|1417611124|3794427 said:
- a row of diamonds in the middle row? Traditional, timeless and classy.
- some Gypsy set diamonds shattered on the shank? Modern, understated and unique.
- a very small and elongated step cut in the middle row? Traditional, simple but not plain.
Or....

It depends on the look you want to achieve. There is no incorrect answer.

Thank you Chrono! I will try to keep open minded about this. :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for chiming in Michelez and Mochiko! I had not considered engraving somehow but I love it :love: :love: :love: And Victor happens to have a great engraver. Engraving is definitely a route to consider!!!
Thanks ladies.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
Thank you for helping narrowing it down Sparklies!! I think you nailed it for me as A and C have the simplicity I am looking for. I will save B. for future projects :lol:
Hopefully it will be much easier for you with the shape of your stone. Any ideas materializing yet?

Sure thing! :) I love B too but I think you're right in that it should be tucked away for a future project. :naughty: Oh, and I second the engraving route on C. I think that'd be quite classy.

A couple. I asked David Klass for a quote on his ring without diamonds, and I hope to check out a new (to me) jeweler in town this weekend since I love the idea of working with someone local. But then I found a PSers aquamarine ring last night and her setting reminded me of the Trueste. That thing just keeps popping up! haha

classic1.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sparklieslover: good to read that you also like the idea of engraving. The idea is really growing on me. I think we have a similar taste in many respects so it's comforting that you like it as well.

Isn't this Ellen's ring by Leon Mege? It's a beauty and it would look great with your stone :appl: It will indeed be great if you could work with a local vendor. How convenient 8-) . If this jeweler is new to you I would look closely at his work and check whether he has made similar things to what you are looking for. Especially with a simple setting the trick lies in the detail and craftmanship.

_24848.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd ask VC how he'd engrave such a shank. See what his thoughts are. And maybe Google a bit too. ;-) I feel we have similar taste as well, which is quite the compliment!

haha Yes, it is! :) So beautiful. I don't feel I need platinum for the setting, otherwise I'd go with VC. I'm thinking more along the lines of 14k white gold. Oh, yes, I have a lot of questions for this new jeweler! And I want to see a lot of his work, especially claw prongs since I know those are on my list. The trick does lie within the detail and craftsmanship for simple settings, you're absolutely right.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like Option A.

So glad I prefer low profile and plain shanks, as it makes spec'ing ring designs for myself so much easier!

DK :bigsmile:

Truthstar

Rough_Rock

That's pretty. Is there a method to private message? I'd like to get your experience getting this stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1417623900|3794538 said:
I'd ask VC how he'd engrave such a shank. See what his thoughts are. And maybe Google a bit too. ;-) I feel we have similar taste as well, which is quite the compliment!

haha Yes, it is! :) So beautiful. I don't feel I need platinum for the setting, otherwise I'd go with VC. I'm thinking more along the lines of 14k white gold. Oh, yes, I have a lot of questions for this new jeweler! And I want to see a lot of his work, especially claw prongs since I know those are on my list. The trick does lie within the detail and craftsmanship for simple settings, you're absolutely right.

Just received a message from VC: we could either do the nice scroll engraving in the middle or milgrain the grooves which creates an art deco look. The last option sounds fascinating but I find it hard to visualize. According to VC he has seen some vintage art deco examples.

Your gorgeous stone will shine in 14K WG! And aaah... Claw prongs will be gorgeous. Double or single claws?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1417626092|3794559 said:
I like Option A.

So glad I prefer low profile and plain shanks, as it makes spec'ing ring designs for myself so much easier!

My taste varies from very arty modern to richly vintage, especially modern vintage art deco. Which sometimes makes it difficult to choose. Also I sometimes seem to prefer very expensive options :???:
And haha, I can definitely see that you are very deliberate in choosing the most stunning stones from JD :lol:

Thank you for sharing your opinion! This is very helpful for me.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Truthstar|1417628420|3794575 said:
That's pretty. Is there a method to private message? I'd like to get your experience getting this stone.

Thank you Truthstar! Unfortunately we do not have a private message on PS. There might be some helpful information for you in the 15th post on page 2. If not, ask along and if I can I will answer your questions.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
Just received a message from VC: we could either do the nice scroll engraving in the middle or milgrain the grooves which creates an art deco look. The last option sounds fascinating but I find it hard to visualize. According to VC he has seen some vintage art deco examples.

Your gorgeous stone will shine in 14K WG! And aaah... Claw prongs will be gorgeous. Double or single claws?

I'd personally prefer the milgrain look. For some reason I don't see the scroll with your stone, but that's just me talking out loud.

Aw, thank you, Acinom. :) Double, for sure. That's the one detail I know I must have!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1417631663|3794603 said:
Acinom said:

I'd personally prefer the milgrain look. For some reason I don't see the scroll with your stone, but that's just me talking out loud.

Aw, thank you, Acinom. :) Double, for sure. That's the one detail I know I must have!

Hi Sparklie :wavey:. Like some people will halo everything, I could apply engraving on everything. But looking at this stone my requirements are:
- simple (bot not boring)
- impeccable craftmanship
- smooth non fussy lines
In other words: Trueste :lol:
I now have to decide what a translated version looks like for an elongated stone :read:

For me, some nice engraving can spice up everything but I want to keep it simple at the same time. Luckily I am not in a hurry :roll:
I have now narrowed it down to:
1. and 2. Milgrained grooves setting OR the tapered carres
3. Tapered setting with engraving

Double claws will look great combined with your stone. Do you look at it often?

S

SparkliesLuver

Hello! :D Those are good requirements. haha Yes, that does describe the Trueste, but you'll figure out what that means for your stone. :) I think your narrowed down choices sound great. Just a matter of preference and look, really. Has Victor received the stone or is it still in transit?

Thank you very much. Oh yes. hehe I sneak away often (well, as often as possible with a 17-month old) when I'm at home to look at it. I think sometimes DH wonders where I go. :lol:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

i love the milgrain and engraving ideas! Please post more inspiration shots if get them!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ha ha @ Acinom. :bigsmile: Good job I do not like champagne as I earn beer money! I make my Christmas Bucks Fizz with Asti or similar sparkling wine, as champagne is wasted on me! :bigsmile:

As for jewellery, I guess I am not into very ornate and intricate designs as they do not fit my lifestyle. I do not have much opportunity to wear my nicer jewellery with my smarter work wardrobe, hopefully that may change next year. ;))

And no, I am not staying up tonight to snipe on eBay. My normal bedtime while I am on the late shift is around 02:00h, honest! :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1417471590|3793479 said:
Ladies, I am working with diamondmounts of eBay for my EC reset that is going to be cast in platinum, price is very affordable/reasonable, and I shall let you know how I get on, if you do not mind waiting until Jan 15 when I get my new semi-mount.

DK :))

DK, I just noticed that an old thread was bumped; it mentioned that one PSer who bought a setting from diamondmounts had a poor experience as they used moissanite instead of diamonds in her ring :confused: :confused: ... I am hoping that you are using a different company by the same name, or if it is the same vendor, that they have improved!! Hoping your experience will be good...I have my fingers crossed for you!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1417671224|3794960 said:
dk168|1417471590|3793479 said:
Ladies, I am working with diamondmounts of eBay for my EC reset that is going to be cast in platinum, price is very affordable/reasonable, and I shall let you know how I get on, if you do not mind waiting until Jan 15 when I get my new semi-mount.

DK, I just noticed that an old thread was bumped; it mentioned that one PSer who bought a setting from diamondmounts had a poor experience as they used moissanite instead of diamonds in her ring :confused: :confused: ... I am hoping that you are using a different company by the same name, or if it is the same vendor, that they have improved!! Hoping your experience will be good...I have my fingers crossed for you!!

Thanks for the information. I have to chance it and see how it goes. They are still listed as trusted vendor for CS, so only time will tell.

So far so good with my communications with them. Fingers firmly crossed.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1417633332|3794623 said:
Hello! :D Those are good requirements. haha Yes, that does describe the Trueste, but you'll figure out what that means for your stone. :) I think your narrowed down choices sound great. Just a matter of preference and look, really. Has Victor received the stone or is it still in transit?

Thank you very much. Oh yes. hehe I sneak away often (well, as often as possible with a 17-month old) when I'm at home to look at it. I think sometimes DH wonders where I go. :lol:

:lol: I love the 'adapted Trueste' concept :lol:. The stone is indeed still in transit. How long does it normally take to ship from East to West coast... :confused:

How cute that you have a 17-month old :D. And since having a young child you deserve some quality time with your stone as well :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo|1417638415|3794665 said:
i love the milgrain and engraving ideas! Please post more inspiration shots if get them!

VC sent me this inspiration pic. The sidestones are not going to happen, but I like The Groove 8-). I do not see how the milgraining works together with the grooves though? :confused:

_24867.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
:lol: I love the 'adapted Trueste' concept :lol:. The stone is indeed still in transit. How long does it normally take to ship from East to West coast... :confused:

How cute that you have a 17-month old :D. And since having a young child you deserve some quality time with your stone as well :appl:

I'm not far from Gene and it took a few days, so I'd say 5-7 days or possibly more? It also depends how it was shipped. I know he sent mine via registered mail. Regardless, I hope it arrives soon!

Cute is one way to say it. ;-) :lol: Alone time is extremely rare, so I love the moments I get to spend with my new sparklie.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
VC sent me this inspiration pic. The sidestones are not going to happen, but I like The Groove 8-). I do not see how the milgraining works together with the grooves though? :confused:

I know this is a man's ring but hopefully it helps you visualize both. And I see the milgrain along the outer edge on the inspiration ring - lined in red - if that makes sense. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

_24868.jpg

_24869.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Ricezo! How friendly of you to send a message to DK.

And DK: I am sending vibes your way to ensure that your project works out smoothly!
You have a gorgeous new stone from JD by the way. I love your rapidly growing collection!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1417718512|3795200 said:
Hi Ricezo! How friendly of you to send a message to DK.

And DK: I am sending vibes your way to ensure that your project works out smoothly!
You have a gorgeous new stone from JD by the way. I love your rapidly growing collection!!

Yup, thanks ricezo for the heads up. :))

Acinom, I already got a quote for the ring I have in mind for the round pink Spinel, and piggy bank needs to fatten up first!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for posting that ring Sparklieslover and also for looking closely at the inspiration ring :wavey:. The inspiration ring indeed has milgrain on the border of the sidestone, so I can imagine it's also there throughout the shank where you indicated it. I will have a closer look at my PC screen: I normally browsing PS on my smartphone. I wonder whether the Tourmaline ring actually needs milgrain? What do you think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results