shape
carat
color
clarity

The plight of the large- a size 9 woman''s ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ikat

Rough_Rock
I have reached the stage in life where I want a great ring. Not married, not gonna be, so I guess it will be a right hand ring. I have several insignificant pieces, but now I really want a fine jewelry piece, with nice diamonds (why not, huh?).

However, I wear a size 9 ring. All the really wonderful styles available cut off at size 8 (if not size 7). Trying on a ring on your pinky just doesn''t work. A custom size 9 is not going to be returnable. I am tired of looking at pretty rings that just won''t look good on older, larger hands.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on where to be looking? I want a high carat yellow gold or white gold with some nice diamond sparkles. But I don''t want it to look like a man''s ring.

Any ideas out there?
33.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a budget in mind? Do you strictly want diamonds? I think having larger hands is not going to be a problem. Have you thought about cabochons with diamonds? I love looking at Mason-Kay catalogue. They deal in natural jade and there are some beautiful colours of jade with diamonds.
Or what about sapphire rings? There are some beauties on the natural sapphire co website 4-5 carats worth and certainly not man-like.
Maybe you're interested in classic and simple- a humongo 5 stone or eternity band from Facets?
1.gif

One of my favorites is an asscher in rose and white gold- please search that thread by queenmum

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Yes why shouldn''t you have a nice diamond ring? I like Lisa''s idea of an eternity ring or five stone band from Facets. Even though these kinds of rings can be used as wedding bands I think they would also make terrific right hand rings. If it made you feel less like an anniversary ring you could mix the diamonds with sapphires. I know Facets goes up to a size 8.5 and can make other sizes. I''d call and ask about their return policy on a custom size if they have anything that interests you. I also like the idea of a wider ring like the Simon G designs.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
stuller goes to size 9. also ross simon

the size nine thing is not going to be a big issue unless you want pave or channel set, in which case it will have to be custom. (can't stretch the pave or channel like that or stones will start to move and pop.)

what did you have in mind?

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
This might sound like a silly idea but have you ever noticed how much of the cheap cosutme jewelry comes in larger sizes like 8 and 9? Why not shop around, try on the fakey stuff to find a setting that you like? That looks terrific on your hand? Then spend a few dollars to buy it.

If you fall in love with something, then you could have the fun of finding a goldsmith to make it for you, design the stones with the clarity and sizes you want and you will KNOW that it looks great on your hand?

Again, maybe a silly idea but maybe one that would work for you? Good luck with the search!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 9:41:31 AM
Author: jmtomaui
This might sound like a silly idea but have you ever noticed how much of the cheap cosutme jewelry comes in larger sizes like 8 and 9? Why not shop around, try on the fakey stuff to find a setting that you like? That looks terrific on your hand? Then spend a few dollars to buy it.

If you fall in love with something, then you could have the fun of finding a goldsmith to make it for you, design the stones with the clarity and sizes you want and you will KNOW that it looks great on your hand?

Again, maybe a silly idea but maybe one that would work for you? Good luck with the search!
I totally agree w/ this suggestion. I have some fun costume and sterling cocktail rings- I call them my Saturday night rings because that''s when I can pull off wearing them. I have even *gasp*
23.gif
bought 2 from HSN.com and they are really fun and a great way to try a new style.

Ikat

Rough_Rock
Well, I don''t live near any large city with great jewelers, so I do most of my buying from the Internet. The ring I would pay money for is the Jean Schlumberger Vigne band ring from Tiffany''s- $16,000. It is just beautiful . ( Maybe one of the clever folks here can figure out how to post it on this site.)

I might just end up on HSN. sigh.

Ring-savy people here- what flatters a larger, older hand? ( Yeah, I know 5 carats takes the pain away)

honeybee

Rough_Rock
Here is the Schlumberger ring:

schlumberger1.jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Ikat- What a fun project you have! It makes me a bit sad that you mentioned that a large/huge diamond may "take away the pain" and while you probably said it in fun, it is important to remember that this project is celebrating being you (whatever that is, which I am sure is wonderful!)....BE PROUD!

I know plenty of "older" "single" women who have fab lives...and even more fab jewels...

I would go for a wonderful band-type ring like the Tiffany one you mentioned, or one with gems too...

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ikat,

I guess I personally dont'' understand your conundrum. I think it''s great that you want to find a lovely ring for yourself and dont'' get why your ring size should be an issue whatsoever. I have size 10 ring finger (size 9 when I am thin!). As I have called them before...little sausages! But I don''t forsee this ever being an obstacle to getting any kind of ring I want. Most jewelers can easily resize a ring to fit your finger. Yes, full eternity or pave styles do present an issue for this, but if you go the custom route, then it''s a moot point.

In short, I am encouraging you, my large-fingered sister in solidarity, to get out there and don''t let your ring size stop you!! Look at as many styles you can, find one you love, and have someone custom make it for you to fit you perfectly.
2.gif

Best,
Kit

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Schluberger rings. I don''t own one (yet) cause my husband doesn''t love them as much a I do . At some point I am just going to break down and get one anyhow!

I recommend you try on the ring to determine the correct size. I tried on the Schlumberger 6 rope ring and because it is rather wide I found that my normal size was too small for me - it squeezed my finger a lot.

I totally agree with you - if you want a nice ring, just do it - don''t wait around for someone/something to give permission. I am sure you''ll find a ring in larger sizes.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m wearing a size 10 ring and I love it. My jeweler had NO problem sizing it up for me. In fact he did it before I even said I wanted this ring, just so I could see how it looked on my hand. If somebody hassles you about it, they aren''t the right jeweler!!! Definitely play around with the costume stuff to get an idea of what style you like, but find a good jeweler to work with and a size 9 will be no impediment to bling!!! Enjoy!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 9:21:31 PM
Author:Ikat
I have reached the stage in life where I want a great ring. Not married, not gonna be, so I guess it will be a right hand ring. I have several insignificant pieces, but now I really want a fine jewelry piece, with nice diamonds (why not, huh?).

However, I wear a size 9 ring. All the really wonderful styles available cut off at size 8 (if not size 7). Trying on a ring on your pinky just doesn't work. A custom size 9 is not going to be returnable. I am tired of looking at pretty rings that just won't look good on older, larger hands.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on where to be looking? I want a high carat yellow gold or white gold with some nice diamond sparkles. But I don't want it to look like a man's ring.

Any ideas out there?
33.gif
how bout a band like this with various small diamonds (2 - 4 ptrs) "sprinkled" alongside the band at different intervals.. you can also decide if you want it to be a 3 or 4 "bump" band and if you want the inner "bump" to be equal width or larger width than the side "bumps"... is what i'm saying intellligible? :)

ps. i saw later in the thread just now that you wanted to spend quite a bit more than that.. sorry. nm

gx02Sm.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you ever buy anything???

ger100

Shiny_Rock
I just found this thread today. Did you buy anything?

I''ve been at "that single stage" for awhile. Most of my "younger" rings don''t fit and it would have been a matter of enlarging a bunch of cluster rings (cheaper, from a younger age). Rather than do that, over the past year I bought myself SEVERAL nice colored gemstone solitaire rings: a 2 ct melon spessartite in white gold with small diamonds, a 1 ct emerald (pretty nice) surrounded by a double halo of diamonds, and my last, a 1+ ct green Andesine/Labradorite (Oregon Sunstone) with 2 rows of diamonds, one green, one white. My finger is usually a 9. I buy an 8, which I can just push on (then soap to get off), but it gives me a good idea of what the rings look like. THEN, if I''m happy with the ring, I get it sized up. Here is the last I bought. It has the design only as you see it; the diamonds stop and do not go alongside or under the finger. Makes for a very comfortable, stable ring. I also have no large jewelers nearby and bought this off JTV several months ago...before they started mucking around with lousy stones (this stone is great).

I also bought myself pendants and earrings to go with all 3 rings.
21.gif
The green Andesine/Labradorite is my favorite. I prefer having 3 different colored rings to wear over one diamond! But that''s me.
37.gif

So, did you buy anything?

Labrad ring 2.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
The ring on an "old" hand.
9.gif

Labrad ring 1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think large rings are great and if you''ve got the hands then wear them! this ring looks great on!

movie zombie

uafly1

Rough_Rock
I have a size 11 ! Let me tell you, trying to find ring has been a joke. One lady at Nordstrom, said to me, well that is just too big. Lucky for me the people over at Tiffany did not think so. After months of searching for a RHR, I decided on this one.
17053833_xl_1.jpg

The best part is I get to pay the regular price that size 7 pays. Tiffany is very accomodating when it comes it larger sizes.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
one gorgeous ring! i think that one also look good with color stones!

you also have another world open to you. i''m not locked into men v. women''s rings and have lusted over some in the men''s case that i couldn''t wear....i wouldn''t hesitate with some of them if i had big enough fingers. not all but some of them would suit me just fine.

movie zombie

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 11:11:49 AM
Author: uafly1
I have a size 11 ! Let me tell you, trying to find ring has been a joke. One lady at Nordstrom, said to me, well that is just too big. Lucky for me the people over at Tiffany did not think so. After months of searching for a RHR, I decided on this one.
17053833_xl_1.jpg

The best part is I get to pay the regular price that size 7 pays. Tiffany is very accomodating when it comes it larger sizes.
OM gosh! That ring is gorgeous!!!
3.gif

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
AWESOME CHOICE!!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE THIS, LOVE THE YELLOW GOLD!!!
12.gif

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 11:11:49 AM
Author: uafly1
17053833_xl_1.jpg

That ring is stunning. My little heart skipped a beat when I saw it!

uafly1

Rough_Rock
The picture does not doe this ring justice. My Mom and Aunt both did not like the picture, but when they went the store, they changed their tune.
I was truly surprised. I was told the price would the same, but when I actually went to order it, they told me I would receive a phone call to confirm.
It''s suppose to take a few months, I''ll post pictures

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful ring
36.gif
I hate wearing large sizes, my left hand is a 8 1/2, my right is a 9 1/2, its so hard to find rings in larger sizes that are afordable.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Ger100 and Uafly1 those rings you posted are both just stunning!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is just GORGEOUS. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results