shape
carat
color
clarity

The only thing I have from my dad is his ring

johngreen

Rough_Rock
hi,

A couple of months ago my father passed away and the only thing I have from him is his ring that he wore for at least 24 years (I'm 24). Somehow I've never asked him about it even though he always had it on his finger and he also had a habit to touch it and play with it whenever he was stressed. I decided that I'm gonna wear it so a part of him can always be with me, but it's killing me that I don't know anything about it or what it meant to him. I tried searching on google some infos about the model but had no luck so here I am asking if anyone knows anything about this ring. Where was it made? What is the meaning of the symbol/engraving? Is there a way to tell how old the ring is? I think that the ring used to have a gemstone at some point right on top of that circle. Also I'm from eastern Europe , so there might be a bigger chance that it has its origin around here.

The stamp faded a little bit, but I think it says 585.
Thank you! IMG_0493.jpg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry you lost your dad. I think wearing his ring is a lovely sentiment.

I can't tell you much about the ring, but I believe 585 is the equivalent of 14kt gold.

I think most of us would love to go back in time to see a loved one who has passed. It would be wonderful to ask one last question, hear their voice one last time, or have one last long hug. I really feel for you. Just know you're not alone. We are all here to support you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:(2 sorry about your dad John
i was just shy of your age when i lost my dad and its too early an age - we miss out getting to really know them as people not just as a parent

But its cool you have his ring and im so glad your wearing it
i inherited rings from my mum and i just don't beleave i didn't know her eternity ring was a present from dad when i was born
how could i have not known that ?

so you know i guess mums and dads have too much going on being mums and dads sometimes to have the time to tell us everything or we were just too busy with our lives to listen when they did have time
its just the way it is

i really like your dad's ring
i like men's jewlery
have you thought about putting a gem back into it ? maybe your dad's birthstone ? or maybe your own?

if the ring isnt quite the right size go get it sized at a jewler - its too precious to risk loosing it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Family pieces are the absolute best.
It’s a signet ring, unfortunately no way of telling when or when it was made but it would be vintage circa 1980s I feel.
The engraving I feel could be a representation of the sun rays ie dawn, the beginning of a new day.
And yes, the gemstone is missing. I would put in a new one, perhaps his “birthstone” (there is a list of suggested gemstones for the month you were born in) would be appropriate.
Treasure it as he did, he will never be far from your heart.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@johngreen I am sorry for your loss john. What a wonderful ring! As my fellow PSer's have suggested putting your fathers birthstone in would be a lovely way of remembering him.
We can help you with that if you like! ;)2

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
I’m really sorry about your dad...I hope you believe there will be sunny days ahead and that you’ll get to a point where you smile when you think of him.
I think it’s a lovely idea to put his birthstone in as Daisys and Bron suggested.

johngreen

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I just wanna say thanks to all of you for the support and the awesome responses. The idea with the birthstone sounds pretty cool. My birthday is on 14.09.1995 and his is on 08.09.1952. What stones would be appropriate for that?

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys, I just wanna say thanks to all of you for the support and the awesome responses. The idea with the birthstone sounds pretty cool. My birthday is on 14.09.1995 and his is on 08.09.1952. What stones would be appropriate for that?

My condolences.

You both share a September birthday, it seems if I am reading the dates Correctly,look like ddmmyyyy format. Sapphire is the most widely known births one for September. Sapphires and yellow gold always look lovely together.

Q

Queenie60

I am sorry for your loss - my condolences. The ring will be a part of him on your hand. Take care.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto - sapphire. Blue sapphires and yellow gold - as @caolsen said - are always a great combo. What a lovely thing to share, too! I'd get it polished also, so it looks its spiffy best.

A ring to be proud of, on so many levels.

johngreen

Rough_Rock
Hi again, I finally managed to find someone to fix the ring. I've also put a sapphire stone on it. I found out that the ring is 40 to 50 years old and that it was made in Romania during communism.

Thank you guys.
106043416_2610780179177442_2864950380573274464_n.jpg

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Oh it's so wonderful to see your dad's ring back to all its glory! I hope it brings you some peace and good memories every time you look at it. Thank you so much for updating us.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi again, I finally managed to find someone to fix the ring. I've also put a sapphire stone on it. I found out that the ring is 40 to 50 years old and that it was made in Romania during communism.

Thank you guys.

Wow !.
It looks amazing
Im so glad you replaced the missing stone
i would think this would have made your dad happy
wear it with happy menories

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you guys.

Im so glad you came back to show us Dad's restored ring :appl:
Thank you John

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a handsome ring and it looks wonderful on you! I am sure he would have been pleased to see it proudly displayed on your hand.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The lightening looks different but im on my phone and i wanted to compaired before and after

someone did a lovelly job with your Dad's ring
and i love you went with a saphire Screenshot_20200625-224843.png Screenshot_20200625-224901.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks fabulous - and loved and well cared for, as well. And how wonderful that you were able to nail down its general age and provenance! Tells you just a little bit more about your father.

Great job on this - and a lovely tribute to your Dad. Hoping it brings you many warm memories.

And thank you for coming back and sharing - this was a ring with a real history.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That’s lovely! Enjoy wearing it!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring turned out SO well @johngreen, it looks great on you! I am so glad you have such a special reminder of your dad to wear and enjoy every day. May it bring you comfort and peace. My heart goes out to you, you're too young for such a loss.

Thank you for coming back with this good update! <3

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
thanx for hte update. that sapphire looks great....
agree with @Daisys and Diamonds - the lightening does look a little different. perhaps it is more polished and looks newer??

enjoy wearing it. such a beautiful commemoration

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful restoration. Enjoy thinking of your dad every time you wear it!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He would have been so proud of you having it fixed and now you are able to remember him. Please be sure to check on the prongs and sapphire every so often (once per year or so) to be sure that the stone is firmly in place and no loose/damage prongs. Remember when swimming, at the beach or heavy gardening, you want to take it off and put away in a safe place. Another story where my friend lost weight and lost his wedding band when swimming/playing in the water.. and definitely don’t put in your pant pocket that doesn’t have a zipper! (Just some friendly tips! From a mom) ;-) -C4C

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out great! I'm glad you will get to wear a meaningful remembrance of your dad.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
That gold glows — it’s lovely and the person who did the work did a great job, refreshed but the ring you knew from childhood shines through.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
This looks fantastic!! Thank you for the update.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Im so sorry for your loss. Thank you for the update, that ring looks great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results