shape
carat
color
clarity

The one that got away...

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I realized over time with diamonds, there is always another 'unicorn'...Two years later, I found current stone, which I call my 'super unicorn'. But having lost out on the 2.8 I VS2 did make me pull the trigger MUCH faster on my current stone. :lol::lol::lol:

A cool ending - and a new term for me to use now "The Super Unicorn" - love it!:razz:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A ruby and diamond ring at an antique jewelry story. I loved it but decided to think about it. I saw it around 11:00 AM on a Saturday. The store was closed on Sunday. I called as soon as they opened on Monday and it had sold on Saturday afternoon. That was years ago and I still think about that ring.

So many regrets--but one of them also involved a (new) ruby ring. I, too, still think about it!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's never happened to me. I tend to be the snatcher.

Ha- I couldn't help but think of my children as they were watching Dora the Explorer: No swiping, Swiper! I know, snatching isn't swiping - but it still stuck in my brain.

I guess that begs the corollary question - have you ever snatched up some jewelry that caused buyer's remorse? Or do you just love it all?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah. I had my eye on a bag of really fine Opal rough from Lightning Ridge and had spoken to the seller to find out what his asking price was. I had a gap of contact with him for about 30 mins where I contacted my wife/boss(hehe) to discuss the purchase. We agreed it was worth the price, so I went back to the seller to request an invoice.
Too late. Gone.

I've missed the purchase of a lot of rough Opals by being a bit too late, but that one stung really badly. I learned that my current way of obtaining rough is much more reliable.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yeah. I had my eye on a bag of really fine Opal rough from Lightning Ridge and had spoken to the seller to find out what his asking price was. I had a gap of contact with him for about 30 mins where I contacted my wife/boss(hehe) to discuss the purchase. We agreed it was worth the price, so I went back to the seller to request an invoice.
Too late. Gone.

I've missed the purchase of a lot of rough Opals by being a bit too late, but that one stung really badly. I learned that my current way of obtaining rough is much more reliable.

Interesting - care to elaborate on the 'current' vs. 'old' way?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting - care to elaborate on the 'current' vs. 'old' way?

Early on I used to look for packages and was relatively indifferent on supplier; I missed some bags I wanted because I didn't know the seller well enough to put it on hold, I also had one seller drop-sell me a sold package which really frustrated me as drop selling is a big no-no in rough Opal trading here in Australia regardless of the availability.

Nowadays I've got a reliable supplier who only shows me stones he will sell to me, usually stock that he hasn't got listed so it never gets bought out from underneath me and I'm happy with the quality most of all. So I don't chase other sellers with advertised packages anymore as I discovered early that it's too much of a gamble on a stone that is colloquially known as gamblestone among cutters :lol:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m stalking a stone now that I imagine I’ll regret not getting. Sigh. Happens sometimes though. There’s an outside chance I scrounge the funds to get it before 2019 but slim. And I suspect it won’t stay unsold for too long.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Early on I used to look for packages and was relatively indifferent on supplier; I missed some bags I wanted because I didn't know the seller well enough to put it on hold, I also had one seller drop-sell me a sold package which really frustrated me as drop selling is a big no-no in rough Opal trading here in Australia regardless of the availability.

Nowadays I've got a reliable supplier who only shows me stones he will sell to me, usually stock that he hasn't got listed so it never gets bought out from underneath me and I'm happy with the quality most of all. So I don't chase other sellers with advertised packages anymore as I discovered early that it's too much of a gamble on a stone that is colloquially known as gamblestone among cutters :lol:

Your "new way" is certainly MUCH better than the old way - thanks for sharing!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
There was this beautiful Art Deco ring at a local jewelry shop and I was like a moth to the flame. They had it for a year and I would go up and look at it and try it on pretty often. I decided to get it myself and my boyfriend now husband said no I want to get it for you and he went back and it was gone. I was so devastated, it was the jeweler said antique cushion cut but I think it could be old mine it was about 1.25-1.50 ct. I still look for one similar, I loved that ring. I’ve never seen one like it. It was 10 years ago so the pics aren’t very good. Is there a place to post to see if other might have seen so thin like it? A56FCE5A-83B3-4FF8-B5A3-67BE8797DC37.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was this beautiful Art Deco ring at a local jewelry shop and I was like a moth to the flame. They had it for a year and I would go up and look at it and try it on pretty often. I decided to get it myself and my boyfriend now husband said no I want to get it for you and he went back and it was gone. I was so devastated, it was the jeweler said antique cushion cut but I think it could be old mine it was about 1.25-1.50 ct. I still look for one similar, I loved that ring. I’ve never seen one like it. It was 10 years ago so the pics aren’t very good. Is there a place to post to see if other might have seen so thin like it? A56FCE5A-83B3-4FF8-B5A3-67BE8797DC37.jpeg

It’s gorgeous. Maybe post in preloved WTB?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results