shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
OK...so here goes nothin'...I would like to officially start the TTC thread (hopefully it takes off just like the WWT and the Calling all the Pregnant PS'ers thread). Many of us on PS are thinking of TTC, TTC or are having difficulties. I thought this might be the best place to give each other advise and chat about all the questions and concerns that come up when preparing for and trying to have a baby.

I know for me, I didn't realize how important it was to start taking prenatals BEFORE TTC. Or to make sure that I have the proper health insurance coverage to cover all aspects of labor/delivery and beyond. Or what happens to me once I go off BC and how soon to start trying.

It's a lot to think about and I find myself searching through all the threads in the Calling all the Pregnant PS'ers thread searching for any info that will help me in the phase of TTC that I'm at (not that I don't LOVE reading about what's happening with all the preggo PS'ers..
5.gif
).

So, let's see how this thread goes! Take it away ladies!!
36.gif
36.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Thanks for starting this thread, blushingbride!

I went off the pill at the beginning of October, and I've been having some unpleasant symptoms. Weirdly enough, several are like pregnancy symptoms (from what I've read, I've never been pregnant). But they're subsiding, day by day, so hopefully my hormones are balancing themselves out.

I'm on pre-natal vitamins, have had my pre-conception checkup with necessary bloodwork (all normal!), and now we're just waiting to see if next month feels right, or the month after that. Like I said in another thread, we're flexible.
2.gif

I've been reading birth stories recently (research), and for whatever reason, I've been coming across the goriest, most painful-sounding stories. They've all been unmedicated home births, but yikes! I won't lie, they've freaked me out a little. The birthing process can't be that bad, or else women wouldn't have more than one, right?

Oh well, I'm just chattering now. I can't wait to hear from other PSers TTC. Hopefully, we'll be the next members to take over the pregnant thread!
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I messaged Admin earlier to ask how to get the thread a "permanent" thread like the "LIW".

I think we should have a list of names of the Mommies in Waiting. What do you think?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Obviously I am not TTC (more like trying to induce labor
2.gif
) but I just wanted to say good luck to you ladies. I STILL remember how hard it was waiting to be officially "late" in order to test (and yes, you SHOULD wait). Against all odds I did get preggo the first month. But if that doesn''t happen don''t give up hope. I never did a pre-conception appointment. I get yearly paps so I wasn''t too worried about it but yes, make sure you at LEAST take folic acid while TTC.

Ebree, my first period off the pill was HORRIBLE. It was very painful and heavy. I think it takes awhile for your body to flush out all the hormones (I was on the pill for 13 years).

Anyways lots of baby dust and BFPs to each of you!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi girls! I have a question for those of you going off BC first. Are you planning to use condoms for a few months before TTC or just trying immediately?

Also, ebree--this is just andecdotal, but my husband has been doing an ob/gyn rotation in med school an seen about 15 vaginal births and 15 c-sections (very up close--he even delivered some of the babies), and he said that 90% of the women choose epidurals and they actually seem to experience minimal pain after that happens (both from how they react and what he asks them). Even during the pushing, there has been a little grunting from the effort, but no screaming and little grimacing. :) On the other hand, the two he's seen w/o pain meds--mostly because labor was progressing so quickly or they got to the hospital late have been much, much more painful looking. When one of the woman was screaming a bunch of the nurses started crying because they weren't used to it. Soooo, there are really good pain interventions that work the majority of the time. Just wanted to put that out there!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
EBree - looks like you and I went off the pill at the same time. I actually haven''t gotten Aunt Flow (AF) just yet. If I were still on my pill, I should''ve gotten it this past Friday. I keep thinking I have it because I''ve had some cramping over the weekend, but still nothing. Wonder how long it will take for my body to return to normal.

I haven''t had a pre-conception check-up though. I am due for a visit at my gyno in December, so I will have to talk to them about that and whether it''s necessary.

Right now, I''m taking some over the counter prenatals and have been taking them for about 2 weeks.

BTW, one of my best friend''s was induced last Thurs. and we went to visit her this past weekend. She actually thought she was going to delivery vaginally (pushed for 2 hours) until they discovered the baby was slightly tilted...so then stopped her contractions and did a C-secton instead. Poor girl had to experience BOTH...and she was very graphic in her story telling.

Part of me thinks about just scheduling a C-section from the get go, but you also recover so much faster if you go vaginally.

Decisions, decisions...
20.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:08:44 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Ebree, my first period off the pill was HORRIBLE. It was very painful and heavy. I think it takes awhile for your body to flush out all the hormones (I was on the pill for 13 years).

That's what I was afraid of. I don't expect it to be on Day 29 (aka Day 1), either, but hopefully it will be close enough so I can prepare (pain killers, hot water bottle, blankets).

But thanks for the baby dust!
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:11:59 PM
Author: blushingbride
EBree - looks like you and I went off the pill at the same time. I actually haven't gotten Aunt Flow (AF) just yet. If I were still on my pill, I should've gotten it this past Friday. I keep thinking I have it because I've had some cramping over the weekend, but still nothing. Wonder how long it will take for my body to return to normal.

It's different for every woman. Several women in my TTC communities (elsewhere online) were right at the 29th day, and others at CD40. Right now, I'm at CD20, so I've got a week to go, at least. I was irregular before starting the pill, so I have no idea what to expect!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I realize that you can get pregnant as soon as you go off the pill...but is it better TTC when you start having regular cycles?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:18:31 PM
Author: EBree

EBree - looks like you and I went off the pill at the same time. I actually haven''t gotten Aunt Flow (AF) just yet. If I were still on my pill, I should''ve gotten it this past Friday. I keep thinking I have it because I''ve had some cramping over the weekend, but still nothing. Wonder how long it will take for my body to return to normal.

It''s different for every woman. Several women in my TTC communities (elsewhere online) were right at the 29th day, and others at CD40. Right now, I''m at CD20, so I''ve got a week to go, at least. I was irregular before starting the pill, so I have no idea what to expect!
Yeah, my AF came like clockwork every month. My menstral cramps were the real problem...I got them pretty bad. So, we''ll see what happens...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebree, I ended up being on 40 day cycles after stopping (so prepare yourself). I had no idea when I even ovulated. I just BD (baby danced) as if I had a 28 day cycle AND a 40 day. Honestly (sorry if TMI but I am pretty open about this kind of stuff) we didn't even had sex that much. I got a UTI, and was sick, we were moving...But TGal only had sex once (well obviously NOT once but she knows the exact day) so sometimes it just works out. You only have a 20% chance when all things are "perfect" so don't expect too much. We even used KY (before we knew we weren't suppose to). Guess DH's swimmers are strong...

BB, I am a strong believer that things just happen for a reason. There is ALWAYS the possibilty of having a c-sec but remember it IS major surgery. You aren't suppose to drive or go up stairs for two weeks. Obviously more painful....I totally understand the appeal but I would never choose an elective c-sec. Most docs won't do them either. That being said I might need one and if I do I am okay with that. Now an epi. That I am excited for
9.gif
I'll let you know ALL the ugly details soon
3.gif

peony, we were VERY careful after I went off BC before we TTC b/c my maternity insurance didn't kick in until 1/1/07.

ETA: most docs suggest waiting AT LEAST one cycle after BC to get the hormones out of your system. Mine likes 2. I went off the pill last Nov. Not counting the period I had right after (since that doesn;t really count) I only had one before we conceived.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:25:11 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Ebree, I ended up being on 40 day cycles after stopping (so prepare yourself). I had no idea when I even ovulated. I just BD (baby danced) as if I had a 28 day cycle AND a 40 day. Honestly (sorry if TMI but I am pretty open about this kind of stuff) we didn''t even had sex that much. I got a UTI, and was sick, we were moving...But TGal only had sex once (well obviously NOT once but she knows the exact day) so sometimes it just works out. You only have a 20% chance when all things are ''perfect'' so don''t expect too much. We even used KY (before we knew we weren''t suppose to). Guess DH''s swimmers are strong...

BB, I am a strong believer that things just happen for a reason. There is ALWAYS the possibilty of having a c-sec but remember it IS major surgery. You aren''t suppose to drive or go up stairs for two weeks. Obviously more painful....I totally understand the appeal but I would never choose an elective c-sec. Most docs won''t do them either. That being said I might need one and if I do I am okay with that. Now an epi. That I am excited for
9.gif
I''ll let you know ALL the ugly details soon
3.gif

peony, we were VERY careful after I went off BC before we TTC b/c my maternity insurance didn''t kick in until 1/1/07.

ETA: most docs suggest waiting AT LEAST one cycle after BC to get the hormones out of your system. Mine likes 2. I went off the pill last Nov. Not counting the period I had right after (since that doesn;t really count) I only had one before we conceived.
OK - I didn''t realize most doctors didn''t due elective C-sections. I had considered it only after seeing what my friend went through...she had wished she had the C-section all along. She mentioned how doctors seem to opt for it a lot more now to avoid complications. Of course, up until her ordeal last week, I had always considered doing it the natural way...with lots of drugs of course!
3.gif
BTW, she said she didn''t even feel the epi go in. Her DH had to leave the room though since just the sight of that big needle made him queasy!
6.gif
] Good luck Tacori...can''t wait to hear all about it your delivery...best of luck!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I just thought I''d tell a bit about my TTC. We TTC for almost six years before I carried my son to term. My son was born on FEB 21, 2006 after a 39 hour induced labor that ended in C-section. We haven''t been "TTC" per se, but we''ve done nothing preventative since his birth. I don''t have problems getting pregnant, I have problems carrying, so we won''t do IUI or IVF. I have endometriosis and PCOS which cause several inconveniences.

So, I''ve been through lots of the TTC difficulties and I would be happy to answer questions or help research.

Good Luck to all of you!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I started taking prenatals about 3 months ago and we officially started TTC this month. I''ve just started my 2 week waiting period. The waiting is hard! I hope it doesn''t go by too slowly. I''ve decided that I''ll test on my birthday, the 13th, which will be 16 DPO. If I''m pregnant, it''ll be the best birthday present ever! But I''m trying to not get my hopes up since it''s our first time trying and even if you time everything perfectly, you only have a 20-25% chance of conceiving. I''m a big believer that things happen for a reason...and I''ll get pregnant when the time in right.

Lots of baby dust to those who are TTC!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
blushingbride, my friend just went through the same thing as your friend. And she was freaked out about the thought. But she said the "worst" happened for her and it was not that bad at all. She is recovering beautifully. We women are made of tough stuff.

I wouldn''t opt for an elective c-section personally, unless something prevented me from going through L&D. I''m curious about the whole process and want to try it. What can I say...I''m a nutter.
9.gif

And, uh...yeah, we did only have sex once (for conception...not talking about our regular sex life here!) We conceived on July 4th. I have no idea if my periods are regular or what not because I didn''t have the chance to get my first real one off the pill. All I can say is we were lucky, I suppose (I didn''t feel that way when we saw that second line on the EPT though). The only unscientific (and lame) advice I can give is to enjoy the process and relax....

So obviously I will be lurking more on this thread than participating because my advice is really not up to snuff!!

Baby dust to all...............

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:43:28 PM
Author: snlee

I started taking prenatals about 3 months ago and we officially started TTC this month. I''ve just started my 2 week waiting period. The waiting is hard! I hope it doesn''t go by too slowly. I''ve decided that I''ll test on my birthday, the 13th, which will be 16 DPO. If I''m pregnant, it''ll be the best birthday present ever! But I''m trying to not get my hopes up since it''s our first time trying and even if you time everything perfectly, you only have a 20-25% chance of conceiving. I''m a big believer that things happen for a reason...and I''ll get pregnant when the time in right.

Lots of baby dust to those who are TTC!
Snlee - did you start having regular periods after you went off BC? Fingers crossed for you and losts of PS Baby Dust coming your way!!!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:54:20 PM

Snlee - did you start having regular periods after you went off BC? Fingers crossed for you and losts of PS Baby Dust coming your way!!!
Thanks blushingbride! I went off BCP awhile ago. I just didn't like the hormonal affects. I get bad cramps so the light periods I got on BCP was great. But I'm glad I went off of the pills awhile ago because it took me a long time (years!) to become regular again. I'd give yourself some time - I recall reading that for most women it takes a few months to become regular.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
On the topic of our bodies taking a little while to get back to normal after going off of hormonal birth control, did anyone else start charting right after going off of hormonal bc? I had my IUD removed 3 weeks ago (for non-TTC reasons, but I''m going to be watching this thread so that I''m prepared for when we do TTC), and I''ve been having such a hard time interpreting my chart. It doesn''t look anything like the sample charts in TCOYF. Is this common when hormones are still working their way out of your system?

Blushingbride, this is a great idea for a thread!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 4:08:37 PM
Author: snlee

Date: 10/29/2007 3:54:20 PM

Thanks blushingbride! I went off BCP awhile ago. I just didn''t like the hormonal affects. I get bad cramps so the light periods I got on BCP was great. But I''m glad I went off of the pills awhile ago because it took me a long time (years!) to become regular again. I''d give yourself some time - I recall reading that for most women it takes a few months to become regular.
Wow...years???
40.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Hi All!! We''re not offish TTC *yet* but it''s in the plans. I''m on my pre-natals and we''re trying to finish the basement reno over then next few months so that once we do concieve, I wont be doing anymore physical labour. haha. From a long line of DIY''ers, that will be the first and last time in my life I''ll get out of ''physical labour''.

Anyhoo - Have any of your HCP (health care practitioners) said anything about too much folic acid??

Also, to those just coming off BC - it''s a bumpy road to ''normalcy''. I went through about 3-4 really really emotionally unstable months (I even checked into a therapist at one point because I was SO LOW!!!) but I eventually evened out. Phew!

Hang in there!
37.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:20:48 PM

Date: 10/29/2007 3:18:31 PM
Author: EBree

It''s different for every woman. Several women in my TTC communities (elsewhere online) were right at the 29th day, and others at CD40. Right now, I''m at CD20, so I''ve got a week to go, at least. I was irregular before starting the pill, so I have no idea what to expect!
Yeah, my AF came like clockwork every month. My menstral cramps were the real problem...I got them pretty bad. So, we''ll see what happens...
Me too. My entire PMS / Cramp / flow is EVIL now that I''m not on the BCP. It goes to show you how strong those wee little pills can affect you!!!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:07:53 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I messaged Admin earlier to ask how to get the thread a ''permanent'' thread like the ''LIW''.

I think we should have a list of names of the Mommies in Waiting. What do you think?
Let us know what the Admin says...thanks! I up for a Mommies in Waiting list...although, if we put any dates on it, it might be a bit depressing if some that our TTC take longer than others...

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
Hi ladies! I got off of the pill in late August and started TTC starting in September. I''m on the 2ww of cycle 2 right now so I''m pretty excited. My period is due tomorrow but I''m not feeling any symptoms of anything. I was bad on Friday and took a HPT and it was a BFN. I knew it was too early but I couldn''t resist. I''m back on the wagon now and will only test after my period is officially late.

I got bit by the baby bug earlier this year, but DH and I held off until two months ago because the timing just seemed right. I''m surrounded by preggos now so it doesn''t help!
19.gif

My last two periods (the first ones off the pill) were pretty bad - heaving bleeding, cramps, mood swings you name it. Now I remember why I got on the pill!

I had a pre-conception visit with my doc right before I got off the pill and got the all clear from her. I''ve been on prenatals since then and also a folic acid supplement. I take the supplement in the a.m. with breakfast and the prenatal at night before bed - usually with some toast or other small snack.

I also started being better about getting some exercise every day. I dance on Tuesdays (tap) and on Mon, Wed and Fri I go to my in-laws and use their treadmill for at least 25 minutes (fast walk/slow jog). Thursday is my "free day" and the weekends I just do whatever sounds good - dance, treadmill, weights, cleaning house, etc.

Wishing baby dust to those that are trying!

~Jess~

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Jess, good luck! Lots of baby dust going your way! Keep us posted!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
We''re going to TTC as soon as we''re legally married in March, so I''ve just started taking a womens'' multivitamin to make sure my iron and things get a head start. I guess some women start out deficient and it''s hard to catch up and I read that sufficient iron is necessary to help the development of a baby''s brain. I''m going off hormonal b/c in January.

In terms of "it couldn''t be that bad, or women wouldn''t do it", well, according to most of my friends who''ve had kids, it''s pretty much worse than you could possibly imagine, and there are all kinds of horrible things you don''t hear about until your friends start going through it (the tearing being a favourite of mine). Don''t forget that it used to be the number 1 cause of death for women. That said, I''m still hoping for two, despite it being the most horribly painful, flesh tearing, gut wrenching, bowel emptying in public, body deforming thing I''m ever likely to go through. I hear motherhood is worth it. And of course it''s no longer likely to be lethal. But I don''t have a single friend who is willing to say that childbirth is any way BEAUTIFUL, having a baby is beautiful, but birthing a baby (at least the totally natural way) is supposed to be something of a horror-show.

My dad still likes to tell the story of how he had to hold my ex-step-mom''s intestines in while she was giving birth to my sister.

We may''s well accept it ladies.
9.gif
I''m still willing to do it, even if FH has to hold my intestines in. But I probably wouldn''t do it multiple times like women used to have to, before they had control over their fertility. I think twice will be enough.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just got a response from Andrey, he may "pin" this thread if it''s a hit!
36.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 4:14:40 PM
Author: Blenheim
On the topic of our bodies taking a little while to get back to normal after going off of hormonal birth control, did anyone else start charting right after going off of hormonal bc? I had my IUD removed 3 weeks ago (for non-TTC reasons, but I''m going to be watching this thread so that I''m prepared for when we do TTC), and I''ve been having such a hard time interpreting my chart. It doesn''t look anything like the sample charts in TCOYF. Is this common when hormones are still working their way out of your system?

Blushingbride, this is a great idea for a thread!

Your charting probably won''t be dependable for several months, particularly after an IUD because it causes not only hormonal but also physical characteristics in your body for a while. However, you may still become pregnant before you''re regular. So, it''s good that you had it removed before really TTC.

Some of us have a crazy chart ALL the time!
3.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so we are definitely NOT TTC (let me say that again in case in some alternate universe my MIL is lurking on PS - NOT TTC!!), but my gyno and I have had talks about it because I was diagnosed with endometriosis at a young age (16). My gyno says its actually really common, and those of you ladies who had really painful periods before going on b/c might consider that as a possible cause.

I''m contributing to this thread because my gyno is amazing and he gave me slightly different advice that I wanted to share. He has been practicing for years, and he told me that for women with endometriosis, you can (and should) start TTC as soon as you go off the pill. Literally, that same day. He said as long as you''ve had a checkup so you know you''re otherwise healthy and are taking pre-natal vitamins, don''t wait, just start trying right away.

Anyway, I just thought I''d share that for anyone who is dealing with actual or potential endometriosis, as its very common - at least 10-15% of the female population.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, has anyone yet mentioned that, "TTC" stands for, "Trying To Conceive"? I had to ask what it stood for a week or so ago in another thread.

Second, I agree that a list of women waiting to become mothers has a definite downside for those who are having difficulties. It is hard enough to see other women getting pregnant when you cannot. I can''t imagine having your name on a chart with nothing next to it. On the other hand, I did not experience the Ladies in Waiting list. Some of you probably have.

Oh...third, I am not trying to conceive :). I have a teenager.

Deborah
34.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 3:11:36 PM
Author: peonygirl

Also, ebree--this is just andecdotal, but my husband has been doing an ob/gyn rotation in med school an seen about 15 vaginal births and 15 c-sections (very up close--he even delivered some of the babies), and he said that 90% of the women choose epidurals and they actually seem to experience minimal pain after that happens (both from how they react and what he asks them). Even during the pushing, there has been a little grunting from the effort, but no screaming and little grimacing. :) On the other hand, the two he's seen w/o pain meds--mostly because labor was progressing so quickly or they got to the hospital late have been much, much more painful looking. When one of the woman was screaming a bunch of the nurses started crying because they weren't used to it. Soooo, there are really good pain interventions that work the majority of the time. Just wanted to put that out there!

peony,

Having done very little research in the way of epidurals, from what I've heard, they sound wonderful. There are pros and cons I have to read up on, though, before I make any final decisions. My friend Molly had her baby naturally and medication-free after what she'd read about them (causing unnecessary c-sections, etc.) so I'm not sure exactly where I stand, but I DO know I want to deliver my first in either a hospital or a birthing center with the necessary equipment in case of anything bad happening!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results