shape
carat
color
clarity

The odds of certain grade being eye-clean

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone care to live dangerously and stick their neck out taking a stab at this?

Here are the odds I'd give to a stone being eye-clean.

For this thread let's use the description of eye-clean that is on Whiteflash's website:

WF's eye-clean definition

Using GIA's clarity standards:

I1 and below 0%
SI2 10%
SI1 30%
VS2 95%
VS1 and up 100%

Do you agree?
What percentages would you assign?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, you would also have to take into account the size of the stone - the larger the stone, the more likely to see...

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
SI2- 40%
SI1- 80%
VS2- 99% (the tutorial says only 1 in 100 can see a VS2 inclusion)
VS1 and up- 100%

This whole eye-clean SI thing is new to me. When I was shopping 4 years ago everyone told me you had to go down to Is to get visable inclusions and I thought GIA''s own grading sheet suggested SI inclusions were visable under a loop, not to the naked eye.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on who is doing the grading AGS has been very strict lately on clarity, more so than any lab, and EGL-Israel is very lax
So the question becomes whose si1 vs2 etc.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 5:06:39 PM
Author: strmrdr
It depends on who is doing the grading AGS has been very strict lately on clarity, more so than any lab, and EGL-Israel is very lax
So the question becomes whose si1 vs2 etc.
So true.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
using average AGS/GIA and 1ct well cut rounds and pulling numbers out of my hat :}

i1 - .05%
si2 - 60%
si1 - 75%
vs2 - 99.99%
vs1 - 99.9999%

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 2:51:02 PM
Author: :)
Kenny, you would also have to take into account the size of the stone - the larger the stone, the more likely to see...
Also, shape of the stone, and, per Garry''s charts, age of the person.

Storm, you''re getting older like Garry. Very recently, he told someone to fugget about VS2 and go for SI 1 & 2.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might not be able to see I1 inlcusions with my naked eye! But there are other reasons people choose VS or VVS over SI or I. Just like some people enjoy a $6 bottle of wine from the grocery store and others enjoy a $100 bottle (thinking of Dee Jay the other night!)
2.gif
I think it is not wasteful to buy a well cut diamond with high color and clarity if one desires to and has the money, regardless of visual acuity!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 5:43:42 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 1/8/2007 2:51:02 PM
Author: :)
Also, shape of the stone, and, per Garry''s charts, age of the person.

Storm, you''re getting older like Garry. Very recently, he told someone to fugget about VS2 and go for SI 1 & 2.
LOL
actualy if I take my glasses off and hold the stone close to my left eye I can see some vs2 inclusions and many si1 inclusions.
In wifey2bs diamond I can see the inclusion easily that way but have a very hard time finding it with a loupe.. its a vs2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results