shape
carat
color
clarity

The never-ending search for my perfect cushion. (SOS, help, etc.)

Annachering

Rough_Rock
Help!

I am on a seemingly endless search for a cushion brilliant stone. These suckers are hard to find! Haven't been successful on Blue Nile, GOG, local jeweler, pricescope database...maybe I'm missing something?? If you've happened upon one recently or want to join the search party, please share!

Here are my specs:
Cut - cushion brilliant (or the rare modified that isn't crushed-ice) aka pretty and sparkly and NOT crushed-ice, elongated (prefer >1.07, max 1.15)
Carat - shooting for around 2, up or down a tad is fine; a nice face-up spread would be much appreciated
Color - I'd prefer on the upper end of near-colorless at the lowest...DEFG, could probably handle an H though
Clarity - truthfully, eye clean; likely SI1 and up, but open to whatever I can't see
Polish/symmetry - VG/EX
Cost - maxing out at $20,000 (obviously would be happy with as low as ya got)

I got Navy (courthouse) married 4 months ago and my church wedding is in 5 weeks, so I needed this dang ring like yesterday!
(My husband thanks you in advance for your help in taking my nose out of my computer and my defeated mood out of the gutter. ;)2)

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what stock of these long cushions exists - WWW

You need a fan of barion style faceting to comment on the interesting D/SI1; it does look bright & right. Too obviously, my heart is elsewhere WWW.

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile lets you search their stock by L/W ratio ... There are many cushions with that ratio above 1.1 & videos, that fit your other specifications. I did not look at all of them, but your find does stand out above the dozen I have looked through.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I am by no means an expert, especially with cushions but that black inclusion on the table would concern me.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While I’m far from a cushion expert, I absolutely adore cushion brilliant cuts and ended up with one when I revamped my ring. The one you selected definitely has the plot I would target, however, the video is showing an interesting dark contrast pattern under the table that would cause me hesitate. I would also have the JA gemologist confirm it’s eye clean.

I didn’t have much luck finding many options with the elongated ratios, however, I found this, which is at 1.07:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-383135

Here is another, but it is more squarish at 1.05:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-383137

I would normally want a lower depth %, but under 70% doesn’t affect the spread too much. Both are H color, which is the lowest I’d consider for a cushion cut. Should be well within your budget - and don’t forget to ask JA to apply the advantage pricing when you make your final selection. That usually provides a 3% discount or more depending on the price range and stone.

Annachering

Rough_Rock
While I’m far from a cushion expert, I absolutely adore cushion brilliant cuts and ended up with one when I revamped my ring. The one you selected definitely has the plot I would target, however, the video is showing an interesting dark contrast pattern under the table that would cause me hesitate. I would also have the JA gemologist confirm it’s eye clean.

I didn’t have much luck finding many options with the elongated ratios, however, I found this, which is at 1.07:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-383135

Here is another, but it is more squarish at 1.05:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-383137

I would normally want a lower depth %, but under 70% doesn’t affect the spread too much. Both are H color, which is the lowest I’d consider for a cushion cut. Should be well within your budget - and don’t forget to ask JA to apply the advantage pricing when you make your final selection. That usually provides a 3% discount or more depending on the price range and stone.

Awesome, thanks for the insight and contenders. I do like the look of the 1.07. Truthfully, it's hard for me to really imagine what it'll look like when all I can see is the huge blown-up picture, so I'm never quite sure what 20x terrible-looking inclusion will end up being invisible in the day-to-day.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm never quite sure what 20x terrible-looking inclusion will end up being invisible in the day-to-day.

The 1X seems to lenient. 10X would be harsh in real life, but perhaps not too much so in this environment. The D / SI1 seemed acceptable this way.

I am certainly not a clarity hawk !

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GOG D looks nice in the video & impecable otherwise.

Annachering

Rough_Rock
The GOG D looks nice in the video & impecable otherwise.

I appreciate the opinion, especially since I can't see the video or the report...it's sort of hard to really appreciate what it looks like without them! I thought the ASET looked pretty good to my untrained eye, though.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results