color
clarity

The neon ring to rule them all!

Which one?

• Total voters

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ever since COVID19 started, I have been playing around with the idea of making "the most neon ring possible" with lab created gems. Basically I want to make something "eye-searing" that borders on obnoxiously bright.

I was trying to come up with unique layouts, but with 4-5 colors it's just not quite working and I think I need to stick with a more traditional 5-stone design. Thinking the stones will need to each be 5 or 5.5mm rounds (as that's the minimum for most vendors to do custom cuts for people), so it will be fairly big. My finger is a size 7 so it should work fine.

Question is: what "order" or layout works best? I took examples of the colors I like from Gene's website (precision gem). The mahenge-ish red color was only shown on the website in a cushion cut but if I order it I'll ask for round (just so you know why there's a random cushion in the pics).

Here are my best photoshop attempts on one of the 5-stone settings from Stuller (I'll likely go with one of their stock 5-stone options either with 4 prongs and a bar at the bottom or one of the U-settings).

Version 1:
Bright ring v1.png

Version 2:
Bright ring v2.png

Version 3:
Bright ring v3.png

Version 4:
Bright ring v4.png

Are there other alternative layouts that people prefer more? I'm hoping the pink sapphire one is "neon" pink rather than anything else (I think it will be from the pics I've seen here, but will confirm with Gene).

Just so people know, the stones are:
Yellow YAG
"Paraiba" YAG
"cobalt" lab spinel
"mahenge" lab spinel
pink lab sapphire

I'm also open to using Gene's "Pad" color (shown below), but think it doesn't quite fit the "neon" theme.

Screenshot 2021-01-21 085442.png

EDIT. Tagging @Rfisher @elle_71125 @YadaYadaYada @anangel @AnastasiaBeaverhausen because either I have mentioned this kind of bright ring before to you or I know you have good eyes for colors and layouts, etc.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great concept!! I love the symmetrical-ness of the pinks on the edges or vice versa, or them next to the yellow. I love the yellow in the middle being the brightest color there.
Can’t wait to see it!!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cool idea! I think I would be inclined to agree the pad isn’t neon enough for the theme. I like combination 3 best.
Have you considered going the other way and making it vertical, maybe with a bigger stone in the middle, like a modern take on an Edwardian dinner ring. Maybe not your taste and certainly not as suitable for day to day but might give space for the indivdual stones to really shine.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like V3 then V1 , because I like the yellow in the middle.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I like #1 because I think it would be nice to book-end the two pinks. I would keep the similar toned stones further from each other. #3 has the pinks too close and #4 has the green and blue too close. And I prefer #1 to #2 because I know the YAG is a "wow" colour and I would put it closer to the centre :)

Similar colours together would be nice if you did rainbow order i.e. mahenge, pink sapphire, yellow, yag, cobalt

They all do look nice though. I don't think you can go "wrong" :)

I was torn between 1 and 3 but ultimately went with 1. Just seems a bit more balanced to me. I like the yellow stone being in the middle cuz it's the most eye-catching to me. Then the green/blues are like oh ok, they're nice. Then BAM! Hit cha with the red and pink at the ends :lol:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
V1, unless the blue is actually brighter IRL, then v4.

Rounds would be easy to set and look fantastic, but a mix of shapes would be kinda fun and different. Years ago I had something similar with natural stones. EC, marquise, oval, round, pear, they all 'leaned' up against one another in a haphazard fashion.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would omit the yellow. I like all the others when I cover the yellow with my finger.

I'm not partial to the whole rainbow in one piece.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun project!
I like version 1, however I may try swapping the blue and green stones to see if I would like that even more.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, all! I think options 1 or 3 are my top choices after thinking more and hearing your thoughts.

I reached out to the vendor I've been talking to about this, so I'll keep this thread updated with progress, etc!

@dk168 good idea about swapping blue and green on option 1. I'm going to try to mock that up and see what I think.

@LilAlex the yellow is non negotiable lol. Its likely the most neon of the bunch and inspired me to do this project :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A multi colored Gene cut ring? Cool :love:
I do agree with not putting any lesser saturated options in.
I also seem to gravitate towards (if it’s not roygbiv -ish) symmetry of 1&3.
If I saw it in the wild - i would silently try to match it up with rainbow, symmetry, REGARD, infinity stones, how many kids you had/birthstones.............

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I am just seeing this, notifications are unreliable for me lately.

One or three, I also think this is a really cool idea.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I once did a combo like this with bedding !
Well neon orange, purple, lime and pink (like the colours in a packet of high lighters)
Gary never batted an eye lid although he did raise an eyebrow when i painted his bedroom furniture the same very bright lime !
He did admit it did brighter the bedroom up - so i briught him lime undies and a lime singlet to match !
So naturally i think this ring is a really fun idea and i think having a ring like this is just going to be so happy

i would want to incorporate orange but i see the yellow is non-negotiable ;)2 (that's ok, we are painting our house a similar very bright shade:lol:)

Life is too short not to do things for fun and because one's heart and one's eyes desire it

Im really looking forward to seeing how this turns out and above all else i hope the process is 100% fun (well probably not the paying $$$ bit ;)2) and absolutly zero stress ! :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs have you seen "real" photos of all the colours before or seen them in real life?

Yes for 3 of the 5. I own a larger round of both the paraiba YAG and cobalt spinel, and have seen IRL pics of the neon yellow.

The only ones I haven't seen IRL pics of are the mahenge spinel color and the bright pink sapphire.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not a suggestion as you seem to be moving forward with your original concept (which I am sure will look gorgeous) but how cool would these stones look on a background of black like onyx they would really pop, think wacky 80s deco vibe

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Yes for 3 of the 5. I own a larger round of both the paraiba YAG and cobalt spinel, and have seen IRL pics of the neon yellow.

The only ones I haven't seen IRL pics of are the mahenge spinel color and the bright pink sapphire.

Oh cool. I was going to offer my pics of the YAG and cobalt spinel but they are the two you have, haha! :lol:

Here is the one video of the pink red spinel I've seen if it helps:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCEhFwhBz28/?igshid=1hlal5rsi4d0s

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually like v2, because I like having (almost) two sets of complimentary colors side by side...pink + yellow flanking blue mimic orange to me, which is the complimentary of blue.

Otherwise - I am a sucker for rainbow and would go with that.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to report that the stones are being cut (likely starting next week)!! Ended up buying all from Gary Braun at finewater, as Gene's rough wasn't well suited to stones this small.

I really wanted to work with Stag and Finch bc they are incredibly nice and we spoke about the project months ago, but unfortunately they only had the 2 YAG colors (not the other 3), and dont work w outside stones. But I 1000000% recommend them to anyone, and I insisted on paying Bryan a "consulting fee" for discussing this with me over such a long time.

Gary is amazing and hes going to cut all 5 stones in his "waverly" design, as he thinks it will be best suited to keeping the colors "neon" compared to an h&a cut.

I cant wait! The only issue I expect is that since each stone is 5.5mm, a few mm will "hang over" between my fingers. My size 7 ring finger on my right hand can fit 6x4mm stones across the top (24mm), and this will be 5.5x5mm stones (27.5mm). So I might end up getting a bigger ring size so it will fit on my middle finger, as it has a few more mm of "real estate" lol

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Happy to report that the stones are being cut (likely starting next week)!! Ended up buying all from Gary Braun at finewater, as Gene's rough wasn't well suited to stones this small.

I really wanted to work with Stag and Finch bc they are incredibly nice and we spoke about the project months ago, but unfortunately they only had the 2 YAG colors (not the other 3), and dont work w outside stones. But I 1000000% recommend them to anyone, and I insisted on paying Bryan a "consulting fee" for discussing this with me over such a long time.

Gary is amazing and hes going to cut all 5 stones in his "waverly" design, as he thinks it will be best suited to keeping the colors "neon" compared to an h&a cut.

I cant wait! The only issue I expect is that since each stone is 5.5mm, a few mm will "hang over" between my fingers. My size 7 ring finger on my right hand can fit 6x4mm stones across the top (24mm), and this will be 5.5x5mm stones (27.5mm). So I might end up getting a bigger ring size so it will fit on my middle finger, as it has a few more mm of "real estate" lol

OMG I cannot wait to see these stones - I really admire Gary's designs so much - they are spectacular.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Exciting! Looking forward to seeing the stones!

Eeeeee! We're, I mean, you're one step closer!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
can't wait!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

did you decide on an order? the stones might tell you when you see them IRL =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results