shape
carat
color
clarity

the naturalsapphirecompany.com?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pvang712

Rough_Rock
Hi,"

I just posted asking about "thenaturalsapphire.com I meant to post "thenaturalsapphirecompany.com". Has anyone done business with this site? OR is there a site you would reccomend for sapphires, particularly blue and violet?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion :)

Pauline

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 9:20:28 AM
Author:pvang712
Hi,'

I just posted asking about 'thenaturalsapphire.com I meant to post 'thenaturalsapphirecompany.com'. Has anyone done business with this site? OR is there a site you would reccomend for sapphires, particularly blue and violet?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion :)

Pauline

The site was formally called walterarnstein.com. They are well known, been around for years and are reputable. I have talked with Micheal Arnstein and he is a nice guy. There has been some debate as to their pricing (if it is a bit high) but that is easily solved (as with any place you buy from) as long as you have your sapphire independently appraised during the pre-sale evaluation period.

However, as a consumer who recently bought a fine untreated sapphire I highly recommend www.cherrypicked.com. Richard Orbach is a real class act. I feel cherry is among the top tier in colored gem sources on the net.

If you have not already done so please do some research here on Pricescope on sapphires (use the search function) also check out the information on the sellers web sites. Although I am a big fan of untreated sapphires – I think that is one of the first decisions you need to make for your self – treated vs. non- treated. Also you need to decide whether you are going for top tier (like cherrypicked) or more "middle market". Lastly please note that when you are looking at the natural or cherry web sites – you may not find what you are looking for posted on their sites. A call placed to Richard Orbach or Michael Arnstein will provide personal attention to your search – and they can locate stones for you.

Best wishes in your search for your sapphire. Have fun !
9.gif

pvang712

Rough_Rock
what are the advantages and disadvantages of treated vs untreated sapphires?

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 9:44:28 AM
Author: pvang712
what are the advantages and disadvantages of treated vs untreated sapphires?

Well that is a hot debate! (LOL!). Many people have discussed this here on PS.

First you should know that untreated does not mean better looking. 98% of all sapphires are treated to make them look better - and we all want nice looking gems!

I would strongly recommend you read all the information posted on the education section of the www.naturalsapphirecompany.com web site. The published articles section says more than I could on why you may want to get an untreated sapphire.

I think it really comes down to a "mind game". Do you care that perhaps your sapphire was originally brownish/whiteish or off- color and then treated in a lab to have a nice color? Does the rarity factor - that fact that your sapphire came out of the ground with that color matter to you? Are you willing to pay 20-40% more for that rarity? Do you think that untreated sapphires might hold their value better than treated? Are you willing to wait and hunt to find a fine untreated sapphire (less than 1-2% of available sapphires)?

Obviously, the important thing is to find a nice looking sapphire. Lively, with good hue, tone and saturation. Not dark and dead. So whether you go treated or non treated - find something that looks great!

Also, depending on how much you are going to spend, I strongly encourage you to use a good independent appraiser before you agree to purchase it.

P.S. I see you are from Rochester, NY. My Fiancé is from there! Been there a few times. Love Johnnys Irish Pub! It is a bit of a drive to NYC from Rochester. Both cherry and walter are in NYC I believe. I would have loved to have visited them and had them bring out some selections of fine sapphires to drool over - in person!

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never done business with The Natural Sapphire Co...but i''ve heard nothing but good things about them and Michael Arnstein...

Treated vs untreated? As Bertrand said...the debate rages on!

Many people feel it is absurd to pay the premium for untreated, when treated stones can be just as beautiful, are in plentiful supply, are so much more affordable, and importantly, just as durable as untreated gems.

Having said all that, I opted for an untreated sapphire, probably for all the "mind game" reasons alluded to by Bertrand, and perhaps because I hope the stone will hold it''s value (or perhaps increase) because of it''s rarity.

I would not purchase an unheated sapphire that was not certified by one of the major gem labs. In the US: GIA, AGTA, AGL

Good luck!
widget

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Some people say the prices are high on thenaturalsapphirecompany.com, but they have some very nice stones. Plenty of other places charge about the same if not more for quality unheated stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results