shape
carat
color
clarity

The Mystery of the Five Strand Pearl Necklace

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
A couple of months ago, I happened to be watching an auction on Bidlive. This lot came up. The pre-auction estimate was $1,000 to $1,500.

To my amazement, a bidding war ensued. The necklace ended up selling for over $75K!

Ever since then, I have romanticized why this necklace fetched such a high price. It purportedly came from 'an Italian Philanthropic Family.' Did Catherine de Medici receive this from one of her lovers? I don't know. Perhaps, someone on PS can shed some light on the origins of this mysterious pearl necklace...

IMG_7009.jpg
IMG_7010.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the bidders were two members of the same family and each was determined they were going to have granny’s necklace

Haha! That never even occurred to me! I’m hoping someone will recognize the necklace from a museum painting:lol:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe if the pearls were all natural, it would be worth that much, but it says “cultured” which implies it’s much newer than the time of the de Medicis!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Maybe if the pearls were all natural, it would be worth that much, but it says “cultured” which implies it’s much newer than the time of the de Medicis!

Good point. Ok maybe a de Medici descendant then :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the final figure was a clerical error -

certainly not nearly romantic as other possibilities but surgeons make mistakes during heart surgery so why not a typo? :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If they are in fact natural pearls, they would be worth that much or more. What a mystery!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the final figure was a clerical error -

certainly not nearly romantic as other possibilities but surgeons make mistakes during heart surgery so why not a typo? :lol:

No error! I saw the live bidding. It was crazy!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps they are indeed natural pearls and not cultured or perhaps two people, as least, recognised it as a piece with providence.
Ive seen some very interesting auctions. At a local jewellery house an 18ct gold pendant of an Art Nouveau enamelled swan set with a natural Pearl drop with a few other gems for decoration, on a chain set with pearls every few inches had an estimate of $2k to $6K. What someone at the auction house failed to notice was the hallmark. While at least two bidders did recognise it. It sold for over $200k plus buyers premium.
It was a Rene Lalique piece.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps they are indeed natural pearls and not cultured or perhaps two people, as least, recognised it as a piece with providence.
Ive seen some very interesting auctions. At a local jewellery house an 18ct gold pendant of an Art Nouveau enamelled swan set with a natural Pearl drop with a few other gems for decoration, on a chain set with pearls every few inches had an estimate of $2k to $6K. What someone at the auction house failed to notice was the hallmark. While at least two bidders did recognise it. It sold for over $200k plus buyers premium.
It was a Rene Lalique piece.

I’d give up a kidney for a Rene Lalique piece!

pammbw

Rough_Rock
Old mine cut diamonds and cultured pearls? Do those belong in the same time frame? Graduated 5 strand seems to be a 1950s style and I don't think OMC were the prevailing cut then- most likely transitional? But of course they could reuse old stones. Seems to be some contradictions here but without more info we are just guessing

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results