shape
carat
color
clarity

The Mysterious Eightstar...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
After about 2 years of mainly lurking, this is my first thread. Here''s my situation:

I''ve read a TON of information about Eightstar diamonds, I''ve seen countless pictures of them on-line, and through my own subversive means, I''ve gotten SOME price info. As much as I hate to admit it, I''ve been sucked in by their mystery. I''m so ashamed
nono.gif

Anyway, I''ve never seen one and there isn''t a dealer in my state anymore. My boyfriend and I aren''t going to be buying for about 6 more months (give or take) and our budget for the diamond will be about $4000. The size I want isn''t huge - 0.50-0.60 carat, but I do want a higher color (D-G...maybe H) and clarity (VVS2-SI1).

The thing is, I don''t really want to waste our time driving to another state, or the jeweler''s time if our budget isn''t right for what we want. And I''m pretty much set on the size, color, clarity parameters so I''m not willing to lower them just to make an Eightstar fit our budget.

I''m very familiar with the secrecy regarding Eightstars. But I was wondering if anyone who has one or has looked into getting one can chime in and let me know if this is "doable" or if I''m way off base and should look at other options. Please...HELP!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink is an Eighstar dealer... and here's one of these stones (LINK) that has been sold a while ago. You might want to compare the respective presentation with it's peer rocks around and maybe drop an inquiry where this one is comming from ?

8*flash

Rough_Rock
Why don't you just email Dana directly at Eightstar. I am sure he could let you know what your $4k can get you. I will tell you right now, you are going to need to drop down on the color and clarity. Take it from me, with an Eightstar, an I color and VS2 is MORE than ample.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I just talked with Wink about some stones and he has got about 3 right within your range. Give him a jingle at 1-800-524-7904.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
EightStar markup is about 40% over regular H&A ...so this gal could definitely get a .50-.60c stone for $4k in her desired color and clarity ranges! It may be more along the lines of G/H VS or maybe F SI, but I VS2? I don't think she will have to drop that far at all.

There is a .54 H I1 EightStar at my local jewelers that is 99% eye-clean for about half your budget. A sweet deal. I am eyeing it for a future pendant, we'll see if it's still there much later!
2.gif

I didn't know that EightStars were shrouded in secrecy?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Rodentman bought one recently that wasn't too outrageously priced. Search for "eightstar" and "price" or "cost".

Didn't someone post prices for about a dozen eightstars? Or was that HOF? I couldn't find the thread.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/great-experiance-at-the-maul-and-other-fine-tales-t3334.html

this is a link to the long-winded, poorly written story about when I was looking for a diamond for my fiancee. I decided on an .61 H VS2. I can tell you this, it was worth every single penny. Even when it is really dirty, it still shines like crazy. Like no diamond i have ever seen, especially in a lower-light situation witha lot of neon signs etc. (like a bar or something, it just looks crazy cool.) Honestly, the H looks just as nice as any diamond i have ever seen. She gets lots of compliments about how "clear" her diamond is, I would think this is a reference to the color, or maybe they have just seen really heavily included diamonds. either way, you can't tell at all, even in platinum.

Can't get to specific about price, but you are definatlely in your price range and size range with your budget.

EightStar asks that any time one receives quote information from them that the information is kept between the person giving and the person receiving. They just don't want their prices posted all over the place. I guess I can understand that. So i guess "mystery" is an acceptable term, but it is really just marketing if you ask me. Gives them a chance to promote their product directly if you want to find out information about price.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
okay, i'll break the silence then...

5 years ago, i paid $5800 for a 1.18 ct I VVS1 8*. have no idea what it cost to buy the same stone today.

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback!

It is a pretty generous budget considering what I want (IMO, anyway). It's just REALLY frustrating trying to get a feel for what a ballpark figure might be - I didn't want to get my hopes up if wasn't in-line.

Being in a state without an Eightstar dealer may end up being a good thing, since, if we decide to, we can work with Wink when the time comes.

Thanks again for the responses!

wavey.gif

8*flash

Rough_Rock
I'll tell you this much, $5800 for a 1.18ct I VVS1 8* is crazy cheap. I can assure you they are considerably more now.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/19/2004 8:26:21 PM vtigger86 wrote:

okay, i'll break the silence then...

5 years ago, i paid $5800 for a 1.18 ct I VVS1 8*. have no idea what it cost to buy the same stone today.
----------------

You MUST post pics!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/20/2004 4:42:43 PM 8*flash wrote:

I'll tell you this much, $5800 for a 1.18ct I VVS1 8* is crazy cheap. I can assure you they are considerably more now.----------------

Yeah... it does not take much to see that this price is more in line with what "ideal cuts" sell today (BN 'ideal', for example, not the PS's H&As or BN's "signature"). And the extra bells and whistles of H&As would add even more.

With the numbers hidden, I can only guess that 8* would keep it's prices a tad above everything else just to make sure their cut gets the recognition it deserves. Since "other" ideals got more popular and already defined a 'typical' premium for their quality standard... 8* will be more than that, no matter what. Easy, no ?

But wait! Eight Star indeed has the best cut, so it is only right for it to be the most expensive. As if no one knew how hard it is to tell these hair-splitting quality marks apart. It still is the good old price that makes comparison a no-brainer: the more expensive must be the better, right? Or is it the other way around..

Those 8* really are wonderful stones though
1.gif

Oh well..

msb2ncsu

Rough_Rock
Can anyone help me identify any 8* dealers in the Raleigh, NC area. The form on EightStar.com always messes up on my PC so I can't get through. I've been wanting to see one of these in person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results