carat
color
clarity

The Music Thread

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know very little about music.

Let's share our favorite artists here. All genres are welcome. I'd like to learn the basics (so, great artists and classic songs, and current good songs) from pop, rock, rap, hip-hop, garage (is that still a thing?); jazz, country, bluegrass, and whatever else we can think of.

I found what I believe to be a little-known song/artist. Her voice is amazing, and this song is so gorgeous. It's "Holy Moses" by Jenna Nicholls.

And an obscure British band, The Levellers. This song, One Way, I like:

And a beautiful song from Irish band Bagatelle, Second Violin:

Post your fave artists and songs so we (I) can learn from each other! :appl:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is nice, too. "Summer in Dublin" by Bagatelle.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, the Rolling Stones are English! Who knew? And Mick Jagger was in them. They were before my time, and I always saw that band and that man as separate things. I can't actually name a Rolling Stones song, although of course I know their music from movies, TV, radio etc. I just can't put the song and the band together, bc I always heard things piecemeal. I didn't have a record player (in childhood) or later a stereo (early teens) growing up. My parents did, but they played Boney M and occasionally Elvis. And the soundtrack to Starlight Express about five million times.

Listening to "Gimme Shelter." I can't say I'm feeling it. Maybe it'll grow on me. I mean, the first time I heard Maggie May I was smitten.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a country girl through and through...I do listen to some classic rock, I currently have Whitey Ford and the 78's loaded on my spotify, but I listen to alot of older country, more like 90's and early 20's, love me some Tim McGraw and Big & Rich their music is a little eclectic but I love them! the stuff today not a fan of most of it makes me cringe...but I am old so that is probably why

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a country girl through and through...I do listen to some classic rock, I currently have Whitey Ford and the 78's loaded on my spotify, but I listen to alot of older country, more like 90's and early 20's, love me some Tim McGraw and Big & Rich their music is a little eclectic but I love them! the stuff today not a fan of most of it makes me cringe...but I am old so that is probably why

:lol:i think of older country music as Conway tTwitty and Hank Williams

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Daisy, I'm listening to Prove It right now. Very good!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom and dad always had music on when I was a kid. They were always listening to 50's doo wop, so I heard that stuff early on. In the 70s and 80s, my sister and I listened to all the rock stations, and between us we had quite the album collection. We went to lots and lots of concerts. I have seen the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Elton, and Bruce (@Daisys and Diamonds , I saw Bruce in '95), just to name a few.
I saw Def Leppard when the drummer still had his arm.
I saw Ozzy when he still had a drummer......
One of the most memorable was when Devo opened for Elvis Costello!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom and dad always had music on when I was a kid. They were always listening to 50's doo wop, so I heard that stuff early on. In the 70s and 80s, my sister and I listened to all the rock stations, and between us we had quite the album collection. We went to lots and lots of concerts. I have seen the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Elton, and Bruce (@Daisys and Diamonds , I saw Bruce in '95), just to name a few.
I saw Def Leppard when the drummer still had his arm.
I saw Ozzy when he still had a drummer......
One of the most memorable was when Devo opened for Elvis Costello!
'95
Im impressed
That's known as the shut the F up (and listen) tour :lol:
I really love the Ghost of Tom Joad album
It inspired me to read Steinbeck and join the union (that's a huge accomplishment of Bruce's because we don't share politics but im always listening to what he has to say)

Willie Nelson recently covered this song

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
For my Australian neighbours
Stay safe my freinds
John Williamson
Ive seen him in concert twice and i got this song at the lower hutt town call
Raining on the rock

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Well i don't need to be asked twice
This has rocked my world since the first time i heard it
it was akin to a religious experience
I was like i had never heard music before
It was like i had never heard anything before

While I'm just a casual Bruce fan, Light My Fire stops me in my tracks every time, no matter who covers it. Like you said, a religious experience.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Springsteen is my all-time favorite rocker. Period. Seen him oodles of times. The Promised Land is a gift from the heavens, and the best song ever written. You can't change my mind.

My parents loved music. I am a lover of Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald. Just wow! Then there's Dinah Washington, Nat King Cole, Neil Diamond, Streisand, the Eagles, the Beatles, Jackson Browne, and Carole King.

Love Broadway show tunes! Can't pick a favorite.

Country- Chris Stapleton, Thomas Rhett

Can never be in a bad mood when I hear Jimmy Buffett!

Classical- I'm all over the place there, but I love waltzes and violin concertos.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore music and enjoy it much of the day. I have so many favorite artists and genres that I cannot begin to list them. So instead I will share what we are enjoying this week.

Currently I am listening to 80s music. Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen, Violent Femmes, New Order are just a few I put on my 80s list.

I change the music playlists often though. For example, for the month of February all month we listened to classical (Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Vivaldi) and these past 2 weeks it's been all 80s music.

I make new playlists depending on my mood. To that end we use Pandora or Tidal and the quality is pretty good.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Springsteen fan here along with @MrsKMB and @Daisys and Diamonds . I've seen him live more than 150 times (that's when I stopped counting) and traveled as far as Italy (try explaining to a priest on the plane that I'm going to Springsteen, not the Pope). I am much more a live music person over studio recordings and no one puts on a better show imo. His studio work does not do him justice. I thrive on my collection of bootleg concert recordings.

I've seen more than my share of concerts over the decades, not just Springsteen. . Although not the biggest fan, I have seen Billy Joel and Bob Seger about a dozen times each as their concerts make for fun nostalgic nights out with fans (same with Sir Paul). I loved Seger's sax player, Alto Reed, live and sadly he recently passed away. Fabulous musician and live performer most known for his sax intro on Turn the Page. Pearl Jam also puts on a great concert.

I am so glad I've seen Prince, Queen (with Freddy Mercury) and others before they passed. I always regret not seeing Tom Petty. I've given U2 and Jimmy Buffet two tries each and not a fan of their shows but others are.

Huge Carole King fan and I'm sad that she stopped touring...her final tour with James Taylor was awesome. Always try to see Darlene Love around Christmas (hard to believe she's still going at 79).

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (formerly the Refreshments) is a lesser known band that I try to catch when they come to the local club. They were the opening act for another band I went to see and they blew the crowd away. I've been a fan ever since. There are also a lot of smaller acts that I've gotten into over the years due to my Springsteen/NJ connection - Wilie Nile, Jesse Malin, Low Cut Connie, Marah, Alejandro Escovedo, Southside Johnny, etc..

On the side of something totally different, Pink Martini is also fabulous live...a little orchestra that crosses genres.

I know you are looking for new music to listen to at home...and I am rambling with nostalgia over live performers (who are at times better than their recordings)...must be the Covid effect...one of the things I missed most in 2020 was going to concerts and the theatre :(

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (formerly the Refreshments) is a lesser known band that I try to catch when they come to the local club

I love these guys! I have their CD "Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy"

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another Springsteen fan here along with @MrsKMB and @Daisys and Diamonds . I've seen him live more than 150 times (that's when I stopped counting) and traveled as far as Italy (try explaining to a priest on the plane that I'm going to Springsteen, not the Pope). I am much more a live music person over studio recordings and no one puts on a better show imo. His studio work does not do him justice. I thrive on my collection of bootleg concert recordings.

I've seen more than my share of concerts over the decades, not just Springsteen. . Although not the biggest fan, I have seen Billy Joel and Bob Seger about a dozen times each as their concerts make for fun nostalgic nights out with fans (same with Sir Paul). I loved Seger's sax player, Alto Reed, live and sadly he recently passed away. Fabulous musician and live performer most known for his sax intro on Turn the Page. Pearl Jam also puts on a great concert.

I am so glad I've seen Prince, Queen (with Freddy Mercury) and others before they passed. I always regret not seeing Tom Petty. I've given U2 and Jimmy Buffet two tries each and not a fan of their shows but others are.

Huge Carole King fan and I'm sad that she stopped touring...her final tour with James Taylor was awesome. Always try to see Darlene Love around Christmas (hard to believe she's still going at 79).

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (formerly the Refreshments) is a lesser known band that I try to catch when they come to the local club. They were the opening act for another band I went to see and they blew the crowd away. I've been a fan ever since. There are also a lot of smaller acts that I've gotten into over the years due to my Springsteen/NJ connection - Wilie Nile, Jesse Malin, Low Cut Connie, Marah, Alejandro Escovedo, Southside Johnny, etc..

On the side of something totally different, Pink Martini is also fabulous live...a little orchestra that crosses genres.

I know you are looking for new music to listen to at home...and I am rambling with nostalgia over live performers (who are at times better than their recordings)...must be the Covid effect...one of the things I missed most in 2020 was going to concerts and the theatre :(

Im impressessed and very erveouse of your Bruce count
How many times have you had the 78 intro ?

The tour i most miss retreating is actually the 2016 river tour
I own everyone single concert c/o Nugs
That last US leg was astronomical
Regarding the first leg - I just didn't think that a full album river album show every night was going to be so great !
But the way that album evolved each night he made every single song relevant and gave great meaning and purpose to what was fun and fluff on that album
I just think that album in all its seemingly bi-polar splender reflects real life the most - sometimes life is a great party and other times its just a long hard slog
my favourite is stolen car and wreck and the title track of course

Im drawn to the darkness that 2016 tour i so loved the party numbers
so spoken interludes (i think i was listening to the concerts life via a microphone in someone's coat pocket) they would keep me awake long afterwards
like how he said perhaps BTR was really about his mom and dad as much as him
and i had this deep profound realization that my mum and dad had exactly the same wishes and hopes and dreams as myself and my struggles had been there's, long before they were mine

and OMG - i thought point blank was better in '77 but wooooow
2016 was actually better !

I was a bit heart broken our summer down under tour in 2017 didn't even feature MMITCT and NYCS never even came across the Tasman to NZ and we got a stadium GHs set list for the casuals and bucket listers when i just wanted my loooooooong kitty and the 78 intro

Ive only been to 5 shows
the first was Moncton NB
Looling at The setlist does not reflect the most amazing acoustics they have at Magnetic hill - no wonder The Pope had been there !

If anyone gets the opportunity to see a concert by anyone in Moncton the sound quality alone is worth it

being my first ever concert i thought that was nornal

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
Are you a fan of music covers? I do! :D

I am starting to love the REO Brothers with their Beatles, BeeGees, and other 60's, 70's music covers. You may wanna listen to them on YTube. They are so humble yet so talented :D

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I have known @Daisys and Diamonds and @lilmosun for years from a Springsteen message board. It’s fun to see our worlds collide here. I’ve been a Springsteen fan for years and have seen him live 50-something times. But I’m sorry, @Daisys and Diamonds , I don’t like the ‘78 intro to Prove It...and I really don’t like Kitty! I loved the 2016 River Tour and had first row side stage seats three times on that tour. My luck will never be the same! I got EStreet radio about a year ago so I now hear a lot of his official music. Before I got that, I was like @lilmosun and only listened to bootlegs

I also love Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, James Taylor, Bob Seger, Tom Petty (RIP) and U2, and have seen them all live.

But my absolute favorite the past few years has been The Avett Brothers. I’ve seen them 4 times in the past few years (before the pandemic) and I can’t wait to get back to seeing them live. I listen to them more than Bruce these days, so that’s a lot. Their harmonies are wonderful and they span the range from sweet, pretty music to crazy rock and roll...sometimes in the same song! I had a Bruce friend who recommended them to me for years and one day he called me and told me that he was getting me great seats to their St. Louis show, so I finally broke down and gave them a listen. I‘ve loved them ever since.

Last edited:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Moses is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

I love this Diana Krall song featured in O Brother, Where Art Though. Her voice is beautiful.

This live performance by the Civil Wars is one of the best things ever. Put your feet up and enjoy. My favorite is Barton Hollow but really, the whole things is phenomenal.

For classical, I never get tired of these. Bach's Cello Suites, The Goldberg Variations, and Chopin's Nocturnes:

For something more current, this is Rosalía. She's from Spain and writes, produces, and performs her own pop music but she's classically trained in Flamenco. This is her own arrangement of a song called "I would stay with you". It's about being given a choice between many things but always choosing love.

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
I adore music and enjoy it much of the day. I have so many favorite artists and genres that I cannot begin to list them. So instead I will share what we are enjoying this week.

Currently I am listening to 80s music. Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen, Violent Femmes, New Order are just a few I put on my 80s list.

I change the music playlists often though. For example, for the month of February all month we listened to classical (Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Vivaldi) and these past 2 weeks it's been all 80s music.

I make new playlists depending on my mood. To that end we use Pandora or Tidal and the quality is pretty good.

Love the 80s! Just brings back so many great memories of a more calm time. 8-)

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I love this Diana Krall song featured in O Brother, Where Art Though. Her voice is beautiful.

I love this song. When Springsteen did his River Tour in 2016, this was his walk off music. You knew the show was over when the lights came up and this song started playing. It was always sad because the show was over but it was also uplifting because this song was so beautiful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the 80s! Just brings back so many great memories of a more calm time. 8-)

Yes, it really does. And so many great memories of dancing to the great music. I love dancing and I used to go to the dance clubs with my friends every Tuesday night and also with my boyfriend on the weekends. So much fun. Danceteria, Palladium, The Limelight, Club A to name a few. We enjoyed life so much more easily in those days. Our biggest stress was studying for tests and getting good grades. Life was sweet and easy (for us) in the 80s.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm stuck in the 80's but also listen to classic rock from the 60's. Some of my personal musical highlights were meeting Glen Frey of the Eagles when no one knew who he was (including myself) and attending a Billy Joel concert in the late 70's for $2.00. My very first concert in Boston was Black Oak Arkansas, Foghat, and Brownsville Station. Ok, please don't guess my age :)

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any PSers into 50-60's music? Love this song. I was 4 months old.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I will give you a small list:

French rap/pop:
Indila - danse
Soprano - Millionaire
Cheb Khalid - Aicha
Vitaa - A fleur de toi
Stromae

Spanish:
J Balvin
Maluma
CNCO
Nicky Jam

Khmer:
Search YouTube for Dengue Fever (band)

English slow jams:
SWV, New Edition, Xscape, BBD,
Newer artists: Bruno Mars, Anderson Paak, H.E.R., Alicia Keys, Andra Day

Hip/hop:
Cardi B - Up (good beat, listen to the clean audio lol)
Saweetie - Best Friend
Doja Cat- say so
Kendrick Lamar - DNA
Drake - God's Plan

That's all I can think off the top of my head. I'm currently listening to the Hamilton mixtape right now and crying at "Quiet Uptown" by Kelly Clarkson. I also have Dua Lipa, Justin Beiber, Flo Rida (Hola), Black M and Jay Sean on my playlist. Last month was mostly Beethovan and opera. Oh I've also been watching Postmodern Jukebox on YouTube. They have various artists do covers of songs and some are really good. Good luck! Thank goodness for technology!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results