shape
carat
color
clarity

The more I read the more confused I get :)

BoyfriendToHusband

Rough_Rock
Hi All - I've been reading around and am just getting more and more confused. I have been recommended Blue Nile by friends and even the gf's friends. But reading around here and other places, it looks like BN is not the preferred vendor due to the diamond not being in-house. I look at the sites mentioned here and they just don't have the same selection and if they do, it seems more expensive. I have a gf that wants around a 2 carat ring and I am thinking of spending around 10k, maybe a tad more . The best I could find IMO was on Blue Nile. The one that has my eye right now is:

Carat weight 1.90
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color I
Clarity VS1
Length/width ratio 1.01
Depth % 62.2%
Table % 57.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence Strong
Measurements 7.87 x 7.92 x 4.91 mm
Price: $12,706

What do you guys think? On the right track? Totally off?

Thanks so much!!

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Do you have the other measurements such as crown / pavilion angles? That would enable you to run through the HCA tool to see if you're on the right track.

I'd look into fluorescence too. It can be known to make a stone look a bit murky / oily.

I've just had a look on the in-house PS search. It depends what your priority is but I feel you may struggle to get a truly well cut 2 ct. stone for the budget. I expect most here will suggest to go down a touch in size to afford the best chance of going for a better cut. There's no point in going big if it isn't going to sparkle.

Good Old Gold have this which may be worth a further look at... http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1.75ct-i-si1-platinum-select-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

Whiteflash....http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137125.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really do have to see pictures, because even stones called Excellent aren't always that great. You can easily see this by looking at a site like James Allen and limiting your search to Ideal-True Hearts. I'd say I might be okay with one out of every ten even after you limit the search to Ideal-True Hearts. You are on the right track as far as size goes. Here are some parameters to help you stay in the ideal cut range. Stick with GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal cut only.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34.0-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

I do recommend Whiteflash and Good Old Gold as I have bought from both of them. You might look at their ideal cut stones in WF Expert Selection and GOG Platinum Select as those will be a little less than their top tier hearts and arrows stones. Victor Canera and High Performance diamonds have gorgeous stones, as well, and all of these offer photos and light return images.

BoyfriendToHusband

Rough_Rock
Sphene|1443345437|3932346 said:
http://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/diamonds?compare=true&stockno=

Check this one numbers stack up - strong blue will make it look whiter and over 8mm - IF - good price - perfect

Nothing came through with that link. :( Can you send it again?

BoyfriendToHusband

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443358366|3932370 said:
You really do have to see pictures, because even stones called Excellent aren't always that great. You can easily see this by looking at a site like James Allen and limiting your search to Ideal-True Hearts. I'd say I might be okay with one out of every ten even after you limit the search to Ideal-True Hearts. You are on the right track as far as size goes. Here are some parameters to help you stay in the ideal cut range. Stick with GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal cut only.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34.0-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

I do recommend Whiteflash and Good Old Gold as I have bought from both of them. You might look at their ideal cut stones in WF Expert Selection and GOG Platinum Select as those will be a little less than their top tier hearts and arrows stones. Victor Canera and High Performance diamonds have gorgeous stones, as well, and all of these offer photos and light return images.

Thank you. I will try to use this information.

BoyfriendToHusband

Rough_Rock
craiguk|1443343281|3932341 said:
Do you have the other measurements such as crown / pavilion angles? That would enable you to run through the HCA tool to see if you're on the right track.

I'd look into fluorescence too. It can be known to make a stone look a bit murky / oily.

I've just had a look on the in-house PS search. It depends what your priority is but I feel you may struggle to get a truly well cut 2 ct. stone for the budget. I expect most here will suggest to go down a touch in size to afford the best chance of going for a better cut. There's no point in going big if it isn't going to sparkle.

Good Old Gold have this which may be worth a further look at... http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1.75ct-i-si1-platinum-select-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

Whiteflash....http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137125.htm

More Info on BN diamond:

2015-09-27_07_17_21-build_your_own_ring_-_diamond_details___blue_nile.jpg

I notice both the ones you link are Clarity SI1. I was looking for VS+ do you think its ok to go down to SI1 on this size diamond?

Thanks,

Paul

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I really like Blue Flu because I can always tell if the diamond they hand me after cleaning or repair is mine. BUT since this is a Strong Blue Flu diamond I think you'll need to see it before committing to it. Rarely will Blue Flu have a negative effect on a diamond, but it happens with Strong Blue Flu. And what you see may be different than what someone else sees. So once you think it's the one, check it out with your own eyes before committing fully. HTH

ETA: You may be able to go down in clarity to an SI, but it depends on where the inclusions are in the stone and what type of inclusions they are. You don't want any inclusions that break the surface of the stone. You want an "eye clean" stone. To some vendors that means from 12 inches away. What does it mean to you?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you will have to compromise no matter what to get close to your desired size with the best specs your budget can afford I would suggest you reach out to a select amount of vendors and see what they can come up with. We have often seen success with people contacting ID jewelry in NYC. They are in the diamond district so they have on hands access to just about anything and they can call in stones and give you an insight inspection. They can help you balance the 4cs to maximize your budget. They have many many positive reviews and are known for being able to work well on a budget. There are a lot of Jewish holidays this time of year so I would recommend emailing and calling them with 24 hours if you don't get a response. Explain that you are from Pricescope. I have been there in person and they are very helpful without being "pushy".

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
BN stock number LD06284827 and GIA 6177298535 in my opinion its a beauty :love:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1443366655|3932398 said:
Since you will have to compromise no matter what to get close to your desired size with the best specs your budget can afford I would suggest you reach out to a select amount of vendors and see what they can come up with. We have often seen success with people contacting ID jewelry in NYC. They are in the diamond district so they have on hands access to just about anything and they can call in stones and give you an insight inspection. They can help you balance the 4cs to maximize your budget. They have many many positive reviews and are known for being able to work well on a budget. There are a lot of Jewish holidays this time of year so I would recommend emailing and calling them with 24 hours if you don't get a response. Explain that you are from Pricescope. I have been there in person and they are very helpful without being "pushy".

I could not agree more with this advice, this is how I got my diamond in my budget from them. I worked with Luann but have heard she is no longer there. :(

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shopping diamonds with strong florescence will definitely help you save money as they tend to be heavily discounted for several reasons. Here is a short article from the pricescope knowledge base that will give you an overview of the issues and help you decide if it is right for you.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results