shape
carat
color
clarity

The matter of depth in a princess-cut by Paul Slegers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
No problem, Gary! I was just taken aback because I''m trying to understand this concept and am not quite getting it. Interestingly, I had two Sarin reports. They are as follows:

Sarin 1
Carats: 3.24 ct
Dimensions: 8.12x7.93x5.88
L/W ratio: 1:1.02
Total Depth: 5.88 mm (74.1%)
Pavilion Depth: 4.75 mm (59.9%)
Pavilion Angle: 61.9
Crown Height: .87 mm (11%)
Crown Angle: 43
Table: 5.62 mm (70%)
Girdle: .24 mm (3%)
Culet off center: .05 mm
Table off center: .03 mm
Table off culet: .04 mm

Sarin 2 (I don''t have all the data from this one unfortunately)
Carats: 3.22
Dimensions: 8.14x7.95x5.89
l/w ratio: 1:1.02
Depth: 74.4%
Table: 70.8%
Girdle: M-TK
Polish and Symmetry: Very Good
Crown: 11.2%
Crown Angle: 43.6
Pavilion Height: 60.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.0

I''m curious why this crown/table combination doesn''t work. Also, why is VG/VG looked down upon? Are the new standards for EX/EX only? That''s great to hear!!! In my search I only saw one stone with EX/VG, and it just didn''t do it for me (it had a depth of 80%). BTW, your ideal scope image is pretty close to mine, but mine shows a lot more scintillation and has deeper reds
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/23/2005 7:15:40 PM
Author: researcher
No problem, Gary! I was just taken aback because I''m trying to understand this concept and am not quite getting it. Interestingly, I had two Sarin reports. They are as follows:

Sarin 1
Carats: 3.24 ct
Dimensions: 8.12x7.93x5.88
L/W ratio: 1:1.02
Total Depth: 5.88 mm (74.1%)
Pavilion Depth: 4.75 mm (59.9%)
Pavilion Angle: 61.9
Crown Height: .87 mm (11%)
Crown Angle: 43
Table: 5.62 mm (70%)
Girdle: .24 mm (3%)
Culet off center: .05 mm
Table off center: .03 mm
Table off culet: .04 mm

Sarin 2 (I don''t have all the data from this one unfortunately)
Carats: 3.22
Dimensions: 8.14x7.95x5.89
l/w ratio: 1:1.02
Depth: 74.4%
Table: 70.8%
Girdle: M-TK
Polish and Symmetry: Very Good
Crown: 11.2%
Crown Angle: 43.6
Pavilion Height: 60.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.0

I''m curious why this crown/table combination doesn''t work. Also, why is VG/VG looked down upon? Are the new standards for EX/EX only? That''s great to hear!!! In my search I only saw one stone with EX/VG, and it just didn''t do it for me (it had a depth of 80%). BTW, your ideal scope image is pretty close to mine, but mine shows a lot more scintillation and has deeper reds
1.gif
Researcher I am wrong yet again. although Don Hulio, you could please read my nasty post to Researcher on 4/22.

"I''m curious why this crown/table combination doesn''t work. "
Sorry Researcher – I got that wrong - that crown angle /table size crown height is possible for both the Sarin #''s. The second crown angle would be around 28 or 29 degrees.

"Also, why is VG/VG looked down upon?" GIA top grade is Ex Ex.

AGS claim to go a bit higher – they put Ideal above Ex, so AGS will give a VG (assuming GIAVG = AGS VG) a top grade of AGS 2.

BTW, your ideal scope image is pretty close to mine, but mine shows a lot more scintillation and has deeper reds
Then it will be a nice stone and the spread will be well within the AGS spread criteria.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Gary! I just find it funny that AGS is more concerned with polish and symmetry, when so many people tell you "good" is just fine. I myself could tell a difference in symmetry between some of the "good" stones and the "VG" stones so it was important to me to get VG, but, as I said, there were no stones when I searched that were EX/EX. Part of me wants to get my stone certified by the AGS just to see what they say, but if my stone has no chance of getting the AGS-0 rating I think I''ll stick with GIA
1.gif

newbie22

Rough_Rock
When will AGS stones become available for sale?

I am in the market know for pricess cut earrings. Should I wait until I can get AGS graded stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results