shape
carat
color
clarity

The Little Jubilee Right Hand Ring That Grew!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

Well, some of you know that I was trying to get a little right hand ring made with some of the money I saved on the anniversary ring purchase.I was considering a small radiant or Jubilee.Many of you even helped me with some ideas on setting styles for which I am thankful.I wanted to have something made and surprise her, and after some thought and advice from here I decided to go with a Jubilee in a box and to let her pick the setting.That was the first right decision!Just in time I thought for Mother’s Day given our new baby would be two months old then.So contacting Jonathan on April 23 to inquire about Jubilees led me to a 0.63 carat SI 1 G (5.0 x 5.0 mm).Perfect I thought,….. except for strong light yellow fluorescence. Uggg

sad.gif
.Well, I’ve got some time before Mother’s Day to find one. Wrong!No inventory available anywhere, those rascals like limey and vertical horizon scooped them all up.So I got a great picture from Jonathan of the Jubilee and gave it to her with some pictures of some settings.

Well one month went by and then two, and no Jubilees. So that gave us (my wife) time to look at fancy yellows, different settings and all sorts of things.I had originally liked a Leon Mege design and was looking forward to having him do something, but she preferred something more traditional.So, she decided on a simple band with bead set pave.I considered different heads, such as cross prong and crown, but then decided on a simple basket.I looked a Daniel K that was close, but they wouldn’t make the changes I wanted.

OK, two months go by and I get a list of Jubilees from Jon.I pick out a 0.82 VS2 G and a 0.70 VS2 J.Since I have been waiting so long I got first dibs in that size range.The 0.82 was not in yet, so while waiting I looked at a 1.19 carat I1 G Jubilee with a spread of a 1.5 carat princess!

Special Mention:

appl.gif
Giangi gets credit for posting his great I1 stone, which inspired me to keep an open mind on clarity.I would have never given the I1 stone a second thought before that.

So I look at the I1 and see huge feather.Well I might as well ask Jonathan.He tells me it’s white and fairly clean and hard to see.Then, I go and make three squares on Powerpoint to scale and cut them out for the 0.70, the 0.82 and the 1.19 to ask her which size she prefers.OK, so how many of you are thinking what a dumb question, what answer did you expect?“Although any of them would be very nice, if there was a preference it would be for the larger one.”

wacko.gif

So back off hold goes the 0.70 VS2 J which chrono ends up buying (I’m still envious) and the 1.19 goes on hold.When the 0.82 finally arrives, both get shipped to Martin Fuller’s office where Allison graciously fits me in to see Etta on very short notice.It turns out this is the third Jubilee Etta will appraise!I take the big one out first and expect to see a huge feather.I can’t see it.I give it to my wife; she can’t see it.I then ask for a clarity grade (so far no one but me has seen the specs and cert) …… SI1

eek.gif
I’m told.Really?How come?The location and color of the feather is way off to the side and is not easily seen with the angle it’s on.Well I think SI1 is a bit generous, my personal feeling is SI2.But, I’ve got no problem with the grade on the appraisal; anything happens I get a replacement SI1 Jube.It would be very challenging to find an I1 replacement stone this clean and not one that looks like it was sprinkled heavily with salt and pepper.By the way two GIA GGs both said I1 was harsh and SI range was more appropriate.That’s great, I said, it’s priced as an I1.
9.gif

Now comes decision time.The 0.82 spread is 5.3 x 5.3 mm. The 1.19 spread is 6.3 x 6.3 mm.In the immortal words of Etta, the 1.19 looks appreciably larger. No kidding!

6.gif
It looks huge next the 0.82.So an office conference with four people to get a consensus on how visible the inclusion is.Group consensus, can’t see it until it’s pointed out and then it’s still not that easy.OK the 1.19 it is!Pack it up and off to Quest Manufacturing to make the ring.

At Quest we go through the whole design from width and thickness of shank, size of basket, pave channel, shared prong bead set, curvature of angles.Everything is spec’d out to the tenth of a mm.I also wanted the basket to square off the cut corners to make it look, well more square.I had determined the width of the shank I wanted and bought some ideal cut melee from GOG.So after a CAD drawing, and phone discussion, the ring was ready to be made.

It turned out absolutely amazing!It looks much better in person than in the pictures.My hat’s off to Quest again for another fabulous job at a very fair price.

/idealbb/files/jube1.jpg

As with the first anniversary ring project, this would not have been possible without the Pricescope community.I would have never looked at an I1 or J color stone before seeing Giangi’s, Patty’s or PQ’s stones.In the end I got a very white Jubilee at a great price because of the I1 grade that has a white feather on the side as the determining inclusion that under most normal viewing conditions is not visible.It spreads as large as a 1.5 carat princess and some of the 1.3 carat Jubilees because of a 65% depth.

/idealbb/files/DS00202.JPG

My thanks to all of you for such a helpful and educational place. Special thanks to AnA for help with colored stones when I was looking around (I’ll end up with a purple sapphire yet!) and Nicrez for radiant advice when I was looking at radiants and of course GOG, Martin Fuller and Associates and Quest Manufacturing.Sorry if I forgot anyone.And how about that I1?You never know what you find when you cross the safe boundaries of SI and H color!

Oh, and to the guys, don’t ask what size of diamond she prefers unless you are prepared for the answer!Naively, I actually thought she was going to pick the 0.82 because that was he size I liked.And I’m glad I asked for input.Even after all of these years, the ring I would have made would have been different.I would choose less of an e-ring look, but in the end she got what she wanted, a larger stone and a classic style. Surprises are nice, and I ended up spending more than twice what I had planned, but I prefer her to have exactly what she wants.

I’ve been told to cease and desist on jewelry purchases.How many wives would tell their husbands that?Anyways, I think a 7 stone band would compliment this ring quite well. What do you think?

/idealbb/files/DSC00180.JPG

Pictures aren’t the best since it was very grey and cloudy and natural light was at a premium.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

Here’s some more under different light conditions.Not the best, but it was a terrible dreary day.

/idealbb/files/DSC00222.JPG

/idealbb/files/DSC00184.jpg

/idealbb/files/jube2.jpg

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

Here’s some looking through a 10x loupe.Find the I1 inclusions?On the bottom is a arrows shot and on the end of my finger (size 6)

/idealbb/files/jube4 copy.jpg

Gale

Shiny_Rock
That's a terribly pretty ring! It is just so elegant looking.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
FABULOUS!! I'm so impressed that that's an I1 - great pick! and great pics! and the band is so classically elegant
love.gif
simply gorgeous! ...now, about those hand shots...
naughty.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
It's absolutely beautiful. I really love the way the prongs look. It's perfect for the Jubilee.

You forgot to mention that you, and GOG, originally thought the measurements of the .82 were bigger than it ended up being as well as why it took so long for GOG to get it.
2.gif

In the end, I think you got the best value of all the Jubilees you looked at.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:

The only "feather" here, sir, is the one in your cap: congrats on a beautiful stone and ring.

Sharon

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...the other feather is the one in your cap!!!
1.gif

I ADORE ADORE ADORE the setting....That is really an amazing example of how the jubilee can be set and still retain its square appearance!!!! Love it!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
WOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME ring--what inclusion??????????????
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

This may make the 10 yr princess obsolete (don't tell MMM!)--it looks so square (but in this case, it's hip to be square...
2.gif
)

That is an awesome ring.... A 7 stone would work...or an eternity band with the same size stones as the setting.
9.gif

Wow--I love it! Congrats!
appl.gif

SLH

Shiny_Rock
Noobie,

Your ring is very beautiful. May I ask what type of camera you used to take your pictures.

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
It is beautiful, best looking right hand ring I've seen!
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Great job with the ring! I LOVE how square it looks!!! Your setting was a great choice!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That is absolutely breathtaking.
Geez, are you for real man? What a lucky lady.

Quest is awesome. They made something for me. It was a great experience.
I love the setting and the (I1 my tail) stone.

Wow, what size are the melees? I love it.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that's really stunning. I especially love how they did the prongs to emphesize the square-ness of the Jube. It's little details like that that really make a piece of jewelery.

Congrats on the baby, btw
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Way to go, noobie! Congrats on being open to an I1. I love the combo of G, I1 myself.
2.gif
I have tried to point out my inclusion to people and they can NEVER see it.

The setting is perfect! I love the Jubilee shape and you really have accented it.

Good job!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
That is simply beautiful. Congrats on a lovely lovely ring, and kudos for taking your wife's tastes into account. Great teamwork and stunning result!!!
1.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous ring. I own a "J" SI1 Hearts and Arrows and like you, I would have never thought of looking at I & J colors...I was focusing mostly on G & H. Hey, do you know the type of alloy used with your platinum and the %?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all for the nice words. I'm especially pleased with the way this turned out since I didn't approach it with an open ended budget like the annieversary ring. I guess I still blew the budget,
2.gif
but I think it was a very good value, if there's such a thing.

SLH: Believe it or not I used a Sony digital camcorder TRV30 with a 1.5 MP snapshot feature set on the lowest resolution. I have a Canon G2 and a new elph S500 and can't get these cameras to take a good macro picture. Go figure. Bumbled around for awhile until I got off my butt and found the tripod. It was much easier then.

Sevens: The melee stones are 9 on each side for 18 total. 26 points in all and the graduate in size from small at head to larger down the shank. 2x0.5, 2x1.0, 2x1.5, 2x2.0, 1x3 points is the layout. The band ranges from 2mm wide at the head to 3mm wide at the bottom. And yes those guys at Quest are awesome. I had them remake me a pendant at the same. I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

msbennie: thanks, it's actually a G color, but the one I was going to buy was a J and it was white just like yours! And platinum is 950, asked, but forgot what the other 5% was.

Thanks everyone (for the inspriration as well)! This was actually fun
9.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! That turned out great... and different than you had originally planned. Funny. Etta is quickly becoming the area Jubilee expert now.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous gorgeous ring! I absolutely love it. The prongs are great and I can't believe it's an I1.
love.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring! You did a great job all the way around. I think an eternity band with the same size melee would look great with it.

And....my bet is that the direction to stop with the jewelry gifts should be taken with a grain of salt. Don't give up on them completely! Just space them out so that they are novel and unexpected! Down deep, we never get tired of new treats!
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noobie,
wow, what a beautiful ring. i think that I1, the I stands for INCREDIBLE in this stone.
love.gif
congrats

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owwie! Somebody get me some sunglasses.
10.gif
I think the diamonds have burnt my retinas.

Noobie, the setting is beautiful and really showcases the Jubilee. Congratulations on a wonderful choice.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any pictures taken from the side?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
The ring is a dream!
love.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

Here you go ep, please excuse the fingerprints and lint.

/idealbb/files/DSC00179.jpg

/idealbb/files/DSC000241.JPG

You know VH it’s funny how different it is from what I would have picked.I would have got a tension looking setting or a split shank pave, but she’s happy and that’s what’s important.

Thanks for the congrats chilea

I should mention that when I had both stones you could notice differences in them even thought the Brilliance Scope scores and Light Scope images were similar. The smaller one had smaller flashes, (due to facet size?) and slightly better fire and scintillation.However the ever so slight better performance was far outweighed (no pun intended) by the size.

Chrono, I can’t wait to see yours.I wanted to do blue side stones at first as well.

Hmm, I’ll need to start another thread about opinions on a matching band, but not just yet!

1.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I'd thought about having someone make custom prongs like that for my Jubilee.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
GREAT choice, that stone is on fire!! I adore the pave in the ring, but my taste on prongs are for the more delicate ones...the head is too bold for my taste...but the stone really sings. Just shave down those prongs to miniscule and I'd be all over it.
2.gif
But I know you wanted it to be more square...while I tend to like the more cushiony look.

I do love the work on the sides and the pave, very classy and a clean line.

Excellent on the I1 selection, that is such a great way to save a bundle if you can't see the inclusion. I'm hoping for a great I1 pendant or something, what lucky that there was an I1 Jub...most of the clarities seem to be too high for my taste (VS). I'd adore a J SI2 or something like that for a pendant so I could get the price break!
2.gif

Congrats and a great story!!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/28/2004 9:57:30 PM ep6585 wrote:

I wish I'd thought about having someone make custom prongs like that for my Jubilee.
----------------

I thnik your ring in that double x prong is going to look great. Besides, you can always get an anniversary gift

2.gif

Mara, I would of had Leon make the split shank pave ring
1.gif
. You know before seeing all of the great stones here I used to stop my search at SI1 and G. Now I'll look at anything. You never know when you might find that diamond in the rough
1.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I know, I know...I just think the prongs on your ring look really nice.

I'm still waiting to get the completed ring. GOG told me that Vatche told them it would be done by the end of next week. The wait is killing me.

They also haven't added the new setting to their website.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results