shape
carat
color
clarity

The 'Just 10' plan, by Brad Lamm.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone else heard of Brad Lamm? He's been featured on Dr. Oz and is an 'interventionist' - who handles people with both food and drug addictions. He was addicted to both food and drugs at one point in his life, so his perspective is unique.

He has a newer book, called "Just 10 Pounds" - Reading this book has literally changed my life.

His plan starts off with encouraging you to heal the emotional aspects of the struggle with food/addiction and this has already helped me immensely. He also has you focus on 'just 10 pounds' at a time (within 30 day periods), especially if you have a lot to lose, which keeps you focused and prevents a feeling of being overwhelmed by looking at a larger amount of weight.

I can not even explain how much this book has helped me! The emotional healing portion was truly life changing for me... The food plan is similar to other plans I have had success with in the past, so I was able to hit the ground running with the food portion too... I had been able to lose weight on similar 'diets' before (as far as the 'food choices' go) but had always gained the weight back, because I had never fully dealt with the emotional/addiction aspect before...

So far, I have lost 9.1 pounds in 22 days...I have 8 days to go on the 30 day plan, and less than a pound to reach my first 10 pound/30 day goal! And I can HONESTLY say, I have not been tempted, or have felt deprived, because I am eating healthy and ENJOY doing so, because I now LIKE myself enough to take good care of myself, thanks to the emotional healing that has taken place. I am eating good food because I want to be healthy and take care of myself.

Anyway, just wanted to share...if anyone is having any self esteem issues relating to weight, or views dieting as a form of punishment, or in a negative way, I strongly urge you to read this book! =)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on losing over 9 pounds already! That is awesome. It sounds like his book is very helpful. I will have to check it out.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Marcy!

I reached my first 10 pound goal today! With a day to spare! Today is the 29th day!!

Now on to the next 10! :appl:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I reached my next goal this morning! 20.1 pounds! Feels great...and I like how the focus of this plan is 10 at a time... I can celebrate each 10 pound goal as I go...keeps me from getting discouraged or from focusing on how much more I have to lose.

Just wanted to share! :wacko:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! It sounds like the plan is a solid one-slow and steady wins the race! :appl:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Thing! =)

Yeah, I feel pretty good about the 10 pounds in a month pace...although this last month went a bit slower...took 5 weeks to lose the second 10...but I had a few days where I was under the weather...and I realized I was also eating more fruit servings than I should have been. I do better on a lower carb plan, so the extra fruit was slowing me down a bit. I cut back on that and lost the last 3 this week! And bumped up the exercise a bit too. I'll get there, 10 pounds at a time! :mrgreen:

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ara ann-Just wanted to let you know I purchased this book after seeing your progress today. I've lost 15.5 lbs on Weight Watchers and post regularly in that thread but it's taken me three months to lose that much and I definitely have food issues with emotional and bored eating. So, I'll start reading tonight and will keep you updated if I feel it helps me with my weight loss goals. I still plan to use WW even if I feel this book is good for me because I feel like WW can compliment other plans and that WW can be easily worked into other plans.

Just wanted to let you know you inspired me to go out and buy the book!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Stepcut, happy to hear that! And congrats on your 15.5 too!

And yes, the Just 10 diet plan is fairly simple, but I am sure it is more restrictive than WW....

But I will give you a tip that has helped me a lot and this is part of the Just 10 plan...try cutting out wheat and grains (if you are eating them)... I have found in the past (from previous plans) and once again on this plan, that wheat and grains are huge trigger foods for me and I feel much better when off of wheat, etc. I really attribute a lot of my weight loss to avoiding them completely ...I guess I am technically now "gluten free"...I avoid the gluten free 'treats and snacks' too, which are typically higher in sugar....just thought that may help. Sometimes we don't realize a certain food can be holding us back from weight loss, especially when we are told that whole wheat and grains are good for us...well, not everyone can tolerate gluten, etc. and it can lead to extra weight, or a harder time with losing.

I hope you can find some useful tips from the book! Please keep me posted and let me know what you thing! :wavey:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just to update, I reached the big 3-0 this morning!

I was really lagging toward the end of this '30 days', took me a couple of extra days again this month, to reach the third 10, as I had a gallbladder attack 3 weeks ago! I had to change up my eating plan, had to totally drop proteins for a while and ate mainly fruits and veges and brown rice, etc., and while lots of people would lose more weight on a plan like that, my body does not. My system needs protein to function at my best and to lose weight too. The last week or so I have been able to add more proteins back in and started losing weight again. Whew.

Just wanted to share (and it helps for me to keep track this way too! I thought I was losing way slower this month, but now I can see from my last post it was the 25th when I had hit my 20 pound goal!).... :razz:

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Sorry, I thought I had responded to this a month ago! How did May go for you? I'm still thinking about doing this, though it is more restrictive than I'd like. Seeing you have such success sure is motivating.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
HI there!

Thanks for asking about me! =)

How are you doing on your plan?

I am right on target for the month, just under my next 10 goal, which will be a total of 40! :appl: Going great! Feeling better than ever too...I feel 10 years younger. Can't beat that! :D

I had a bit of a tiff with my BFF yesterday though that kind of upset me...she had assumed that something I had said in an e-mail about temptations/food (referring to myself) was aimed at her, she got quite upset over it and sent me a detailed reply, saying how she felt like I was judging her, etc., and I had to explain my comment wasn't aimed at her...but I get the feeling this is a subject I am going to have to avoid in detail for a while.

She is not really doing a formal diet, but is trying to eat less and exercise, which is fine and totally up to her...I have not said anything derogatory to her at all, I am not like that about dieting (I don't talk about it every day either and don't 'flaunt' my weight loss, not to anyone really, other than my hubby, who is super great)...

I have explained to her, why I do need to be strict (Health reasons and trigger foods, etc.), but I kind of feel like I had to explain and defend myself to her at first...she saw this as just another diet, I saw and see it as a life changing experience...once we had moved past that stage, I felt we could "talk shop" about dieting, etc., but she somehow ended up feeling judged by something I said.

I just felt kind of hurt. Not sure if she is jealous, or feels like I am being too strict or whatever...she says things to me like she "could NEVER try a plan like I am on" - and apologizes for talking about foods she's made or ate (which doesn't bother me at all) but the thing is, for my system, if I want to be HEALTHY, this is how I have to eat and it is NOT about deprivation, I don't feel deprived of 'treats' - because I feel SO much better OFF of that stuff... But she sees my plan as deprivation and I don't like having to feel I need to defend myself...she's making her choices and has her opinions and I have mine...I do not feel deprived, but can't seem to convince her of that....going to have to let it go...I can't change her opinions and I will just keep doing my thing, as I know what is best for me.

Sorry, just needing to work through this a bit (instead of eating!) ...but I am going to avoid the topic for a while and let this misunderstanding blow over.

I AM super excited though, I have worked really hard to get this weight off, and want to 'celebrate', but will do so within myself and not look for validation from others.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am so impressed with your success! I know you must feel amazing! 40 lbs is a huge accomplishment!

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Sometimes I think as people in general we tend to think every little thing is about ourselves and if it's an insecurity we have to begin with, we can take anything as a slight against us and run with it, even if the other person has no intent in it. I think you handled it well and you are probably right that for right now, you need to not mention it to her. Clearly something about your success is striking a cord in her.

So, I'm only half way through the book. I started re-reading it this morning because when I got it, I only made it as far as the eating plan before putting it down and never picking it up again. I have a few questions that may get addressed later in the book, but I'd like to ask you about because I'm giving more serious consideration to doing this plan as I've found myself a little "strung out" on carbs (sugar) lately.

1)Do you exercise?

2)Do you adhere to the allowed fruits and veggies or do you allow yourself any fruits and veggies but in the same allowed amounts?

3)Do you eat just 1 snack of fruit a day or is it one between breakfast/lunch, one between lunch/dinner and one after dinner?

4)What do you do when you go out to eat if you do?

5) Have you "cheated" at all? If so how does it play into the eating plan?

6)Were you hungry in the beginning? Do you get hungry now?
Thanks for any help!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
It wont let me edit but I thought of something else. Do you drink coffee? If so how does the cream play into the food plan?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Again! Thanks for the support...it's just nice to be able to vent some personal stuff anonymously sometimes! =)

I will answer your questions below... this is all from my experience (not intended to be medical advice). ;))

stepcutgirl|1306801822|2934086 said:
I am so impressed with your success!

So, I'm only half way through the book. I started re-reading it this morning because when I got it, I only made it as far as the eating plan before putting it down and never picking it up again. I have a few questions that may get addressed later in the book, but I'd like to ask you about because I'm giving more serious consideration to doing this plan as I've found myself a little "strung out" on carbs (sugar) lately.

1)Do you exercise?

*** Yes, I do exercise about 25-30 mins. a day. Something I started doing, once I heard this tip on Dr. Oz, really does seem to be working for me. He mentioned on his show that it is best to exercise first thing in the morning, before breakfast. This way you are burning fat from the fat stores, rather than burning calories from the breakfast you just ate. Makes sense. I had never done this before and I do seem to be shrinking in size faster than what had been typical for me in the past. Also, do any weight bearing exercises before doing aerobic exercises. I head this recently too and have started doing my arm curls and deep knee bends before I walk or use my mini-trampoline, which I do for 20-25 mins. and also do a cool down.

2)Do you adhere to the allowed fruits and veggies or do you allow yourself any fruits and veggies but in the same allowed amounts?

*** I did adhere to the plan pretty closely for the first several weeks. The reason he suggests these foods is probably based on the glycemic index of the fruits and veges...lower in sugar means less insulin spikes, etc., so yes, I would try to stick to that part...but I did not use his recipes for each day though. I simply chose to eat the allotted amounts of proteins/veges/fruits for each meal and made my own food plan. I am not a good cook and like to keep things simple...some of his meals were a bit over the top for me.

3)Do you eat just 1 snack of fruit a day or is it one between breakfast/lunch, one between lunch/dinner and one after dinner?

*** I did eat snacks between breakfast and lunch, but not really after dinner, unless I was really hungry...and I never ate after 7-7:30 in the evening. I DID notice my weight loss slowed if I ate a lot of fruit...that is how my body processes fruits though, I am very carb sensitive, so even fruit would slow me down if I ate too much. I also like a handful of raw almonds as a snack, less sugar and more protein.

4)What do you do when you go out to eat if you do?

*** I eat out a LOT! :tongue: And I usually get a salad with some kind of meat (chicken breast, or even 'lamb/gyro' meat, like on a Greek salad)... I also used oil and vinegar dressing instead of creamy dressings. Skip the croutons and no breads of any kind either.

5) Have you "cheated" at all? If so how does it play into the eating plan?

*** Well...I don't 'cheat' - because I am only hurting myself by eating something that isn't good for me, or something that I know will make me feel icky after I eat it. I am gluten and wheat sensitive, so I just don't feel good if I 'cheat'. Yes, I have had a bite of ice cream...I had one very small coconut macaroon...but I was able to stop myself from going into a binge cycle...if you know you are prone to binging if you have a 'taste' - it is really better for you in the long run to get a mindset of not cheating...that cheating equates to hurting yourself...it is not a 'fun' thing. The thing to always remember about temptation, is that it is fleeting....it will pass. You can say no to temptation and if you keep saying it over and over, you will be successful with weight loss.

6)Were you hungry in the beginning? Do you get hungry now?

*** No, not really. You can eat if you have REAL physical hunger...not emotional hunger...real hunger is normal and it is ok to eat then. Again, by cutting out processed foods and carbs, that helps to curb any hunger SO much. If you get hungry, have your healthy snack... I don't get hungry now...I now have a proper relationship with food...it is fuel, not a medication. I eat when I am hungry and have not had a binge episode in months! Since starting this plan actually.

I do drink coffee and also green tea... I don't use cream every day, I do use it sometimes if I am out at a restaurant, but I'd use real cream, not a non-dairy creamer... Real cream is real food, creamer is highly processed and you want to move toward real food as much as possible.

But please do the emotional work in this book, it makes ALL the difference in your outlook and approach to food!
Thanks for any help!

Hope that makes sense and helped you! :wavey:

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your take on thing Ara Ann. It helps sometimes to hear someone talk about their own experiences. I am a little on the fence about what to do. I've really not lost any weight serious weight in months. I've just been gaining and losing the same 2-4lbs. I'm growing frustrated and had to have a heart to heart with myself tonight to realize the problem might actually be me and not my diet. I've slacked off on my exercise, measuring, weighing and have really been eating whatever I please and then swearing I only ate that one thing when if I really think about it, every day its been "just that one thing". I need to commit to something, anything and go through with it. I lost my first 18-20lbs with ease and now my motivation is lacking and I find myself making a lot of excuses week after week.

I'm not sure if I will do this plan or buckle down and get back to the basics with weight watchers but I appreciate you telling me how it's working for you. I'm really amazed at your success and it's causing a stir in me and making me realize I am really not having the success I deserve or enjoyed early on. Thank you for making me take a look at my own unhappiness and lack of current success. I don't know you, yet you've given me a little kick in the pants. :wavey:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
stepcutgirl|1306890858|2934961 said:
Thanks for your take on thing Ara Ann. It helps sometimes to hear someone talk about their own experiences. I am a little on the fence about what to do. I've really not lost any weight serious weight in months. I've just been gaining and losing the same 2-4lbs. I'm growing frustrated and had to have a heart to heart with myself tonight to realize the problem might actually be me and not my diet. I've slacked off on my exercise, measuring, weighing and have really been eating whatever I please and then swearing I only ate that one thing when if I really think about it, every day its been "just that one thing". I need to commit to something, anything and go through with it. I lost my first 18-20lbs with ease and now my motivation is lacking and I find myself making a lot of excuses week after week.

I'm not sure if I will do this plan or buckle down and get back to the basics with weight watchers but I appreciate you telling me how it's working for you. I'm really amazed at your success and it's causing a stir in me and making me realize I am really not having the success I deserve or enjoyed early on. Thank you for making me take a look at my own unhappiness and lack of current success. I don't know you, yet you've given me a little kick in the pants. :wavey:

Well, I hope I didn't kick you too hard! =) But happy you seem motivated to try again. Another tip that has helped me too is try to eat natural foods as much as possible...processed foods most often have empty calories so you don't feel satisfied for long and they aren't very nutritious most of the time...our bodies are smart and want real food. I think that has helped me with the cravings and hunger too.

Keep me posted and if you have any more questions, just ask!

PS - I am still 2 pounds from my next goal. Taking a bit longer this month, as I had to take a week off from exercising...I had an abscess tooth which had to be pulled and couldn't do my normal workout routine and had to eat foods I normally wouldn't have had. But I didn't gain and I am back on track....hoping those 2 pounds will come off now! :razz:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
GOAL # 4!!! I finally reached 40 pounds today! A few days late for my month goal, but again, that was due to some health complications I had this month and having to be on some strong antibiotics...I don't do well on antibiotics, they really disrupt my digestion...But it feels great to be back on track again! Woo hoo! :appl: On to the next 10! :razz:

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Woot! Congratulations! You are doing AMAZING! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Update...

Things went a bit slower this month, I lost 7 pounds...not too bad! Plus the more weight one has to lose, the faster it comes off at first, so I think my body is adjusting my weight loss pace as I go down. That's fine with me, as long as I keep losing! =) I'll get there!

And UGH. I JUST cleaned out my closet, got rid of FIVE bags of old stuff, some fat clothes, some I won't wear anymore...felt SO great to clean out my closet and drawers...and my MIL calls me this morning telling me she is going to drop off some of her old clothes that don't fit her anymore!!! :errrr: She knows I lost weight, and sees that as an opportunity to get rid of her old stuff by giving it to me. Now, while I appreciate the 'thought' - she hangs onto things forEVER, so I know I am not going to want any of this stuff...she mentioned 'jumpsuits' :o I'm thinking they are circa 1989? :shock: ...not to mention we don't have the same body type at all. I don't want to tell her "no" out right, I don't want to hurt her feelings, but my husband and I already set aside this weekend to declutter and clean our house, it needs it desperately and now I am going to have her castoffs in the mix. :roll:

Well, at least my old stuff is still in the trunk waiting to be dropped off at the Goodwill...I guess there is enough room for hers too. :roll:

Sorry, just had to vent a little. Could keep going...but yeah, I'll stop now. :mrgreen:

Now... On to my '50' goal!!! :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wishing you continued success!

cheers--Sharon

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick update, I reached 51 pounds today! :appl: Finally broke the big 5-0 barrier!

I have about 29 more to go! :mrgreen:

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! That is AMAZING!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, thank you and thanks for the support!!! :wavey: I appreciate it very much!

I am amazed though...even though the pace has slowed a bit this last month, this has honestly been the 'easiest' weight loss of my whole life (and I have yo-yo'd a lot during my life). After reading this book and kicking my food addiction, it just isn't 'hard' like it used to be. Yep...just amazed. =)

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it seems like 7 pounds a month is my new weight loss pace. I've lost 57 thus far. 20-25 more to go! =)

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am so happy for you!!!! You are doing amazing and I am so amazed at how you have stuck with this and are really making the changes you needed to. Hooray!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your reply! :wavey: I really appreciate your taking the time to comment and lend support! =)

Kind of another vent (seems I vent a lot in this thread, but I really am a happy person over all! :razz: )...

I shared with my best friend today that I have 20-25 more to go and she got very defensive about that, saying I would be too thin if I lost 25 more! :| Umm, nope, by the charts, even 25 puts me at the top of my normal range. :rolleyes: I am being realistic and I have been that same weight before and had maintained it for a long time...but just before I met my friend, I had gained a lot of weight...so she's never seen me 'that' thin before...I get her concerns and all, but yeah...not fun having to defend and explain my goal weight...but I will get there, or at least somewhere close to it...hoping by my birthday, the first week of November! :D

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Vent away!

To be honest, your friend is jealous. I don't know what size she is but if she's been smaller through your relationship she probably is afraid that will no longer be. If she is close to the same size you were or are she is seeing what is possible and what she isn't doing. I say this because I found myself doing this to my hubby and had to really examine what my problem was.

My hubby has recently lost about 35lbs and he looks fantastic! I am super proud of him and supportive but every time he tells me he wants to lose 15 more I tell him he will look like strung out drug addict and he looks great as he is. One night I could tell he was really needing me to support him and I realized what I was saying was not nice at all and not how I felt. I know he could stand to lose another 15lbs. I had to really examine why I was acting the way I was and I didn't like what I came to realize. I am jealous of his success. He is driven to keep going, goes to the gym even when he doesn't feel like it and eats like he should. I don't. I stay motivated for all of a day or two and then go back to my bad habits and I am jealous because I see the changes in his body and self esteem. Once I realized I was acting poorly and not being supportive and understood why, it's been easy to now be supportive and be there for him. But it took me asking myself what my problem was to get there. I think that is where your friend is at, but it would take her realizing she is being a tool for her to change and be supportive.

Good luck with meeting your goal by your birthday! Keep us updated! I love hearing your monthly progress!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again for the reply...you are so sweet to respond and lend encouragement and your own experiences too. Congratulations to your Hubby BTW! And a pat on the back to you, for seeing something you were doing and realizing you had a negative thought/behavior pattern going on. LOTS of people are NEVER mature enough or honest enough with themselves to see something like that...now that you are aware of it, you can move forward!

I wish my hubby would get motivated to lose a few pounds too...he isn't very overweight, but has a mini belly going on. He has put on about 15 pounds, he carries it well and doesn't look heavy, so I guess it's not as bothersome to him as my 'all over weight' was to me.

And yes, I figure some of my friend's apprehension is related to jealousy. She has also put on weight and is not happy about it (who is?)...and in fact, she just started this program, after she and I got together last week! ;)) I haven't seen her since I was at about the 38 pound mark, which was GOOD, she could tell I had lost weight, but 57 is a big difference and that must have made an impression on her that I am serious about my health this time and its' for REAL. :wacko:

She also got the book a couple of months ago, and looked at it then, it didn't make an immediate impact on her like it did for me. And she probably figured I'd fall off the wagon again, like I have done several times since she and I had met. I don't blame her for being skeptical, LOL, my previous track record over the last 5 years wasn't very good... :oops: But as they say, 'time will tell' and the last six months has had a lot to say. =)

We have both felt that some people are too thin though, as they age, they can look gaunt and even older than they are because they are too thin. That is what she was trying to convey to me, that she didn't want me to look old and dried up if I get too thin, BUT, even if I lose 30 more pounds, I won't look gaunt.

I think she thinks I am already about at the weight where I want to end up...I think I am heavier on the scale than what I look like (thanks to yoga and pilates, I am in better 'shape' and look thinner than I really am :)) )...so yeah, if she thinks I am already at a lower weight and still want to lose more, she would have a valid reason.

But since I know I can comfortably lose at least 20-25 with no danger of being 'too thin' - I am letting it go.

And I am being supportive of her too, she is really digging into this book/program now, on her own. I have been pretty vague about everything, since I started this...she was kind of negative about it in the beginning too, so I backed off and decided to let my success do the talking for me. it worked and now she's asking me for advice...I am just letting her know how it worked for me and not being pushy or know-it-all-ish...nothing worse than that. :saint: ;-)

So I think this will all resolve itself. I guess I just wouldn't say that to someone, that they will be 'too' thin at their goal weight, unless they were 'already' anorexic looking and still wanted to lose more. I am no where near that level and just want to be healthy. Heck, my body may stop itself at some point too...I am not going to go crazy with hour long workouts, etc., just to get to a certain number on the scale...I will be happy no matter where I end up...but hoping I can get at least 20 more off. 8-)

I'll keep you posted! :razz:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AA:

Stay on your own train...don't let her negative projections derail you! Congrats!

In the "healthy thread" I mentioned how a colleague has lost close to 50 pounds since January thru portion control (she eats what she wants, albeit much less than she used to...) and running on the treadmill. I was SO proud of her! It has required effort, naturally, but she feels this is part of her life & lifestyle and doesn't feel the deprivation. She eats to live and not the other way around--a mantra I understand completely. She now wants to try a triathalon!

Wishing you continued success! WAY TO GO!

cheers--Sharon

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sharon! Thanks for the support! :))

And I am not discouraged at all by anyone's comments, it just sometimes leaves me wondering why they say the things they do. :roll:

Down another pound today, 58! :mrgreen:

I also went to the doctor for some blood tests...I have had some significant hair shedding and muscle aches, etc., and with the slower pace losses over the last 2 months, I suspect my thyroid is out of whack. Waiting to get the results back, hoping it's soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results