shape
carat
color
clarity

The Journey Continues...Her Wedding Band CAD's

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking you should go with the double bands since that is what your fiancee prefers - but as others said, it's going to be a pretty wide ring. I really like the look of the single band, noticable but let's that beautiful ring get most of the attention.

As for a stand-alone ring, you could always get her a diamond band for your first anniversary for times she wants a simpler look...don't I have really good ideas sledge? :P2:halo::kiss2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won't bore you all with the details, but I've had a lot going on the past few weeks and just didn't feel the creative juices on this so I put it to the side. I am trying to re-engage.

In talking with my girl I have a few issues going on:
  • She doesn't think adding diamonds in the wedding band is a good idea. It's her thought, plain will provide balance and be more complimentary.
  • I don't disagree with her; however, just slapping a plain band on it seems so....blah. So I'm struggling how to do it tastefully that has some sort of interest. Yes, I know it won't be "just a plain band". It will still curve around to fit the e-ring, but I feel it needs more. I just don't know exactly what.
  • She really wants a band on each side. I agree that I think it makes the ring look too perfect and maybe even too big. When I mention the single side without diamonds she tends to shut down and take an approach of "okay, then design it how you want". It's my opinion she feels I am not listening to her, so why should she have an opinion.
  • Since I can't exactly pinpoint what needs to be done, I think we are both frustrated at how to move forward.
  • While I don't think it would work for this style of ring, I've seen people add milgraining, etc. to an otherwise plain band and it just pops. While milgraining may not be right for this ring, I am looking for something similar to add a pop of interest.
  • Because we both love the e-ring, I think we are both not wanting to mess it up and somehow detract from it.

So here is one option I was thinking about. Basically using the flow from an earlier design. Making it a little less skinny (maybe 1.5mm or less?). Smooth it out a bit. There is a part I circled in yellow, where there was a "break line" of sorts. I am guessing this signifies an elevation change. Maybe this is that little extra oomph to add some interest?

option1.jpg

Inkedoption1_LI.jpg

The second idea is a little further fetched and I don't have it perfectly aligned in my head. But using the inspiration wedding band, I was thinking somehow you create a taper so that it looks like the wedding band thins out to nothing near the center stone. While very crude, in the pic below the bright green would be the tapered wedding band, and I tried to roughly draw the e-ring on top.

Does this make sense?

proxy.jpg

Inkedproxy_LI.jpg

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how I missed this thread!!

So I've read what you said your girl wants and what others have suggested... I would go with the plain bands that she wants.

You could make them appear sleeker/thinner by doing a slightly softened knife edge style and maybe even milgraining the point of the edge for texture (if you think she'd like that). However, I feel like the ring is modern with clean lines, so I'm not sure milgrain really goes with that aesthetic. I would stick with thin, shiny (polished) plain bands with fluid lines.

Kinda like this, but thinner and curved to fit around her ring.
images

milgrain-wedding-band-27724701_934378_ED_M.jpg ^^ with milgrained knife edge ^^

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-11_10-12-16.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-11_10-12-16.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 16

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how I missed this thread!!

So I've read what you said your girl wants and what others have suggested... I would go with the plain bands that she wants.

You could make them appear sleeker/thinner by doing a slightly softened knife edge style and maybe even milgraining the point of the edge for texture (if you think she'd like that). However, I feel like the ring is modern with clean lines, so I'm not sure milgrain really goes with that aesthetic. I would stick with thin, shiny (polished) plain bands with fluid lines.

Kinda like this, but thinner and curved to fit around her ring.
images

milgrain-wedding-band-27724701_934378_ED_M.jpg ^^ with milgrained knife edge ^^

Soooo glad you jumped in here. One of the things driving me nuts is the thickness of the bands and having two that will make the overall design look too big.

Not sure why the knife edge didn't occur to me before. It seems obvious now. The Stellar Fields band you linked I like a lot, but now discussing with the real boss. :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo glad you jumped in here. One of the things driving me nuts is the thickness of the bands and having two that will make the overall design look too big.

Not sure why the knife edge didn't occur to me before. It seems obvious now. The Stellar Fields band you linked I like a lot, but now discussing with the real boss. :lol:

I really love a knife edge. I would do 1.8-2.0 mm thick at the top, around her ering, and start to taper at 10 and 2:00, making them pretty thin at the bottom... but the height will provide structural integrity. It will be very comfortable.

In this case, I'd say defer to her preferences. She's being reasonable and sounds informed about her choices. I like the first one that @msop04 posted (customized to fit the e-ring of course). And if she has a matching set, she can always stack those and wear them by themselves.
images

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes to listening to her and giving her *exactly* what she wants.
Yes to knife edge.
No to milgrain unless she specifically requests it. It clashes with the design aesthetic of her engagement ring.

There is already so much visual interest going on with the e-ring that I think your fiance is dead-on with this one - go plain. Even the great, accessory-loving Coco Chanel once said, "Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off." This is the wedding band equivalent.

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
  • I don't disagree with her; however, just slapping a plain band on it seems so....blah. So I'm struggling how to do it tastefully that has some sort of interest. Yes, I know it won't be "just a plain band". It will still curve around to fit the e-ring, but I feel it needs more. I just don't know exactly what.
  • She really wants a band on each side. I agree that I think it makes the ring look too perfect and maybe even too big. When I mention the single side without diamonds she tends to shut down and take an approach of "okay, then design it how you want". It's my opinion she feels I am not listening to her, so why should she have an opinion.
  • Since I can't exactly pinpoint what needs to be done, I think we are both frustrated at how to move forward.

ultimately it is her ring. you had your fun with the e-ring, let her have the wedding band design. go hog wild with your own band!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel you should let her help design her band/bands however she wants them to look.
I also agree with the poster who said her ring already has a lot going on so keep it simple. To my eyes (but it’s not my ring :oops2:) her ring is perfect as it is. It needs nothing more. The design already has the look of multiple bands. Anything more and It looses it’s balance and detracts from the design. Good luck.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In talking with my girl I have a few issues going on:
  • She doesn't think adding diamonds in the wedding band is a good idea. It's her thought, plain will provide balance and be more complimentary.
  • While I don't think it would work for this style of ring, I've seen people add milgraining, etc. to an otherwise plain band and it just pops. While milgraining may not be right for this ring, I am looking for something similar to add a pop of interest.
  • Because we both love the e-ring, I think we are both not wanting to mess it up and somehow detract from it.
I wanted to touch on this point... the ering has lot going on visually. If you add any more diamonds to it, it would start to look a bit OTT and may even verge on looking *inexepensive* (i.e. cheap). ;-) I think two thin shiny metal bands would look very classy and understated. I also sense her need for the look to keep balance and symmetry, thus the bands on each side. Sometimes more is better. In this case, more is just... more -- and not in a good way, KWIM?

Any more diamonds and you will most certainly detract from the overall look of the ering.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely vote for the plain band too. The simplicity works with her engagement ring and it is what she wants.

If you want to spend more money on diamonds, how about studs or a pendant for her?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely vote for the plain band too. The simplicity works with her engagement ring and it is what she wants.

If you want to spend more money on diamonds, how about studs or a pendant for her?
Wonderful idea!!! Perfect wedding present material!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for whatever your girl wants and her ideas sound sensible to me. Your job is to make sure the design goes harmoniously with the e-ring you created. Pent up design energy can be put into drawing up plans for a matching pendant? Would make a good anniversary gift!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You absolutely have to give her the wedding band(s) she wants. I know that you would like them to look how you envision them but you must listen to her. It’s very important. You don’t want her to feel like she has no say. As others have suggested, make her another piece of jewellery. You could surprise her on your wedding day with something beautiful to wear down the aisle.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have suggested, make her another piece of jewellery. You could surprise her on your wedding day with something beautiful to wear down the aisle.

Something blue ...

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Comparing the CAD above with this, there would need to be some changes.

1) The Jareds band is an E/W symmetrical wave, not a notch.
upload_2018-7-21_18-32-10.png

So, if you cut the left side of the WB at the center prong and mirror it, you get the orange colored area. So, you've now make the symmetrical. The wave gets the pave added just like the halo. The melee stones will tile outward away from the ering at 20 degrees IF she will always wear together. If she wants to be able to were the WB alone, then you might want them level to the ground. I would just get a plain band for wear alone days, but she should vote for what she likes. BUT, I'm not sure this perfect symmetry will work with the ring as designed. If you look at the right side, there is a curve mismatch. That could be my bad cut and paste, but re-reading the thread, the curved shanks are at different angles (remember the whole not a plus sign, make the shanks meet as an squatty X???). But, check with Amy/DK.

upload_2018-7-21_18-39-40.png
2) The wedding band she loves also looks to be more symmetrical N/S. The photos is a bit tilted, but if you draw a straight line where the two shanks (plain and pave) are parallel, they look to be mirrored. The DK version has a inward arc.

upload_2018-7-21_18-43-57.png

I guess this is option 4? I like this band the best!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, life happened and this got shoved to the back burner. We were actually just talking about her band and my band the last few nights. It's back on our radar, so I should have more to report. I think she has scrapped the idea of dual bands and going back to a single band like the original inspiration.

Whatever she decides DK will be the one doing the work for us so it matches perfectly. :cool2:

Stay tuned and I will post some updates soon.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
94F6632B-AFDD-4BD0-8A5F-7FB586EA3393.jpeg Personally I love the idea of two bands with diamonds. My sister in law has a similar ring and had two diamond bands custom made to fit her engagement ring. They are dainty but so beautiful together with her engagement ring.

Here’s a picture of a similar style but I would prefer the wedding bands to be a little thinner.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
add some color? Whats her favorite color?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I also agree with the idea of doing exactly what she wants for the band and then thinking about a necklace that you can do whatever you want with as a gift - colour, diamonds, etc.

Adding colour to the band is risky unless you put a coloured stone on the inside of the shank that is private to you and her.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she would appreciate some separate pieces in purple as that is her favorite color. Maybe earrings and a necklace. I've got the impression she's not a fan of colored stones in her wedding set though.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Personally I think her engagement ring has enough going on without adding anything additional. With its current banding, it already appears almost as a "set". I would worry about the center diamond being overwhelmed by adding more, as often happens in "cluster" type wider settings. I would buy a separate wedding ring to wear on the right hand and/or alternate with the engagement ring.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
What about a separate stand alone wedding band that has the same shape/design as her engagement ring, either plain or with some diamonds added.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would vote for getting her exactly what she asks for even if that’s two plain but shaped to fit bands. Chances are once she wears them, she’ll either decide she doesn’t love the look (and just wear one of the bands) or she’ll be ecstatic because you honoured her wishes in the ring that is the most symbolic of the lasting commitment you make when you marry someone. You could do one part of the swoop brushed or something like that to fancy it up but anything additional is really over-egging the pudding given how elaborate her ring is.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think she would appreciate some separate pieces in purple as that is her favorite color. Maybe earrings and a necklace. I've got the impression she's not a fan of colored stones in her wedding set though.

I know you meant to say WISTERIA! :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results