shape
carat
color
clarity

The Jewelry Judge appraisal of my omc!! wabi-sabi part 2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
(For anyone interested this is the 2nd part of my story regarding my inherited omc (which I refer to as wabi-sabi, since I find it beautiful inspite of its flaws) and my desire to get that sucker appraised for my own curiosity
3.gif
)

It finally happened & I had such a great experience! On St Pat''s day I had the pleasure of taking my stone to Barry Block @ The Jewelry Judge''s (TJJ for typing ease) corp headquarters here on Long Island. The hell with crazy traffic, insane housing prices and a gazillion grumps- I''m so greatful to have experts like Mr Block, his associate Joesph, and GOG within driving distance, it almost makes living on LI bearable!

I had found TJJ here on the PS list of appraisers and learned that a co-worker had recently had her new eternity band appraised there as well. After reading about the TJJ philosophy I made an appointment, had GOG take my stone out of it''s old mounting and counted the days. I was so nervous, not just about what I feared could be ugly specs or that a potential problem w/the stone that might prevent me from having it become my future e-ring, but also about dealing with an "expert" in person. I am easily intimidated and am an enthusiastic but very new member of the PS community. I was definitely feeling butterflies, afraid that I would make a huge fool of myself and might even be wasting everyone''s time by having it appraised!

My actual experience was nothing short of amazing!!! For the good part of an hour I got to interact, ask questions, learn and observe..I was treated as both a valued customer and student- I could not have asked for a better mix of service, knowledge and kindness. Mr Block was even so kind as to allow me to take out some photos I had brought of Buena Girl''s beautiful inherited stone, since Buena and I have been sharing our diamond experiences here on PS, and calculated her table % and gave his thoughts on the oec vs transitional question we have had regarding her stone (which is still up in the air until she too has hers appraised.) I wish I had been taking notes, there were so many things I would like to remember- when I go back after my stone is set I''ll be sure to write everything down!!! I also have to add that he & Joe were most kind in complimenting my stone and in encouraging me towards understanding and appreciating my omc''s unique beauty & characteristics.

As for the specs, well I had be realistic- I had a very good idea that the color would be very low (which I have been obssessing over,) I knew it had inclusions and I was always concerned that the cut would be considered poor....I thought the weight to be around 2 cts...here''s what you''ve been waiting for...

Old Mine Cut
8.21 x 7.47 x 5.45mm
2.21 ct
SI-1
M
Faint Blue Fluorescence
Depth 69.5%
Table 52.3%
Culet Large
Girdle Extremely Thin to Medium
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Cut Medium Good

Although my heart did sink when he took out the grading set and pulled out D through O, I did recover when the final grade was M, and he explained that there was twinning which resulted in the SI-1, so it was rather close to VS-2. He said it was very nicely cut, which was a suprise to me and that it actually showed little wear (I was afraid that there may have been girdle chips.) When our conversation turned to what I hope will be the setting (vatche x-prong in plat) he smiled and said something along of the lines that he was glad I was going to keep it simple and that I shouldn''t be afraid to set it in platinum (I think it does face-up whiter than an M)

I also left there with a huge smile because both Barry and Joesph spoke with me regarding the field of gemological appraising and Joe suggested that I should consider attending their next GIA alumni meeting as a non-member, so guess what I''m going to do this Monday night?
1.gif
I think it will be a great opportunity to learn more and to rub elbows with the experts!

Thanks to everyone for giving me the chance to share my experiences here on PS, hugs to Buena Girl for her support and help, and thanks again to Barry Block and Joseph (sorry, I left his last name at my office) for an amazing appraisal experience!!!!!!

fffalotofflash1appraisal.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like it was a wonderful experience.

And it also sounds like you have a gorgeous stone...but then you already knew that!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
fountainfairfax- i''m glad you had such a wonderful experience and that it confirmed for you (if only in your head) the beauty of your stone. it really doesn''t look very yellow at all from the pics you''ve posted- just fiery and wonderful! with that stunning and special stone, your e-ring is sure to be spectacular
36.gif
congrats
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you had a fun and educational experience!! You can''t ask more than that. Glad to know your omc is just as beautiful as you thought!! My grandmother gave me her mother''s engagement ring which has three omc''s in a milgrain setting and lots of filagree on the band. I treasure it as the quality of those stones is something that is very special. So glad you had a great experience!!!
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey fountain!!!

Be sure to introduce yourself to me on Monday. Barry Block is one excellent dude and appraiser. Thanks for sharing your experience with one of NY''s finest Gmen.

Best regards,

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
What a cool experience! I enjoyed just reading about it!
1.gif

That stone is special--and gorgeous. I can''t wait to see it set and wish you many years of happiness with it!
36.gif
1.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone for your kind words!!!I can''t wait until it''s set and I can wear and see it everyday!

I was just thinking the other day that my Aunt Ann would be so happy on many levels: that I love and cherish her stone, that it has re-ignited my interest in diamonds & gems (which she shared,) and that it was the catalyst to discovering the wonderful resource of Pricescope and its members. My Uncle Jack (her husband) told me he wants to hear all about my experiences with her stone when we gather for Easter and I look forward to sharing everything with him! Thanks again!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the great experience! When do you plan on setting the stone with GOG?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I was bubbling over with anticipation as I was reading the story! I forced myself not to peek down at the specs first, since I''ve been curious as to the outcome of your appraisal ever since you mentioned you were having it done!

Can''t wait to see the stone in its new setting...it is a wonderful, beautiful stone and seriously...that is a pretty freakin white M!!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2005 2:45:50 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I forced myself not to peek down at the specs first, since I''ve been curious as to the outcome of your appraisal ever since you mentioned you were having it done!
LOL, FireGoddess I did the same thing! I actually put my hand over that part of my computer screen just so I could read the story first!
2.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
What a great story fountainfairfax! I think it reminds us all that beauty is not just in specs, but in the stone itself. Add a heavy dose of history and sentimenitalism (is that a word?) to the stone and it makes it so much more than just a randomly beautiful stone that was bought for its specs.

Congratulations on a beautiful stone, and how great that you get to share your excitement with your uncle! Enjoy and cherish it.....

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
fountain - yay! I''d been waiting to hear about your stone!! 2.21 ct.. lucky lucky girl! I can''t wait to see it set!

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Fountain,
As soon as I saw Wabi Sabi in the title, I clicked on the post. I was so anxious to see the specs on your beautiful stone. I have loved it since you first posted. I think it looks much whiter than M, but maybe that is because it has a tiny bit of fluorescence.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience!
9.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
Congrats again! I can''t wait to see your gorgeous stone in a setting!!!

And thank you for sharing your journey with all of us
1.gif
and helping me out tremendously
2.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
And have fun tonight!!! Please share details, too
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results