shape
carat
color
clarity

The Jewelry Exchange non certified diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brjnsbuco

Rough_Rock
I was just browsing The Jewelry Exchange website and saw non certified 1ct. diamonds for under $500. I have no experience dealing with diamonds, but isn''t this unheard of? What kind of problems can one expect from something like this? Does anyone have any experience with the Jewelry Exchange? I have read every article/tutorial/etc. that I could find about non certified vs. certified diamonds and what to consider when buying any diamond. If I have a ring, and I am looking for something that just looks good to the naked eye, and am not concerned with exact dimensions of the cuts, etc., do you think this is a route I should take? I am completely new to this, and just want some feedback as to the pros and cons. I don''t have a lot of money and want the engagement ring that I end up purchasing to be something I can be proud of. Any advice, insight, or opinions would be really helpful. Thanks!

togal

Shiny_Rock
If you want something you can be proud of......don''t buy a 1 ct uncertified diamond for $500 from the Jewellery Exchange. Figure out your budget and try to get something with some quality in a smaller stone....that is certified. People here can help you find something in your price range if you tell us your budget.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey brjnsbuco! welcome to ps
35.gif

the very best, most sparkly, clean, awesome performing diamonds are those that are well cut. there is absolutely no comparison between a well cut diamond and one of poor, or even mediocre cut. a well cut diamond will always have a grading report. if a cutter took the time to cut a nice stone, you can be assured it will be sent to a reputable grading lab.
if you want something you can be proud of, take your time and find a well cut diamond within your budget. i guarantee you will not be dissapointed.
2.gif

best of luck!

esp102

Rough_Rock
The Diamond Exchange around Philadelphia is a hole in the wall. If you only have a few teeth and drive a 1973 Ford pickup and use AquaNet - then go for it. If not... look online here.

brjnsbuco

Rough_Rock
I actually do drive a Ford pick up, but I have all my teeth, what''s aqua net? I guess more than ridicule I was looking for some advice from experience beyond what I can read in an article. I know absolutely nothing about diamonds and wanted to get an idea of what something like that would look like, and the reasons why it would be so cheap.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
For that price, you will probably get a heavily included stone that is not well cut with poor color. As a comparison, I recently purchased a .42 carat J/VS2 AGS000 for just under $600.

I remember when my husband started to look for my engagement ring he was shocked by the prices of good quality diamonds. He saw the same advertisement you did!

Do a few searches using the tool at the top of the page and you can start getting an idea of how much good quality diamonds are. Don''t worry, you will find something that works with your budget. You can always purchase from a vendor with an upgrade policy and go bigger later on.

Remember that cut is important if you want a diamond that performs.

Welcome to PS!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GoodOldGOld.com has a GREAT diamond tuturial. It will take you through the four C''s and then some. Sit down when you have an hour and go through it... and post here with any questions you have. No ridicule will be flung your way.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2006 4:15:11 PM
Author:brjnsbuco
I was just browsing The Jewelry Exchange website and saw non certified 1ct. diamonds for under $500. I have no experience dealing with diamonds, but isn''t this unheard of? What kind of problems can one expect from something like this? Does anyone have any experience with the Jewelry Exchange? I have read every article/tutorial/etc. that I could find about non certified vs. certified diamonds and what to consider when buying any diamond. If I have a ring, and I am looking for something that just looks good to the naked eye, and am not concerned with exact dimensions of the cuts, etc., do you think this is a route I should take? I am completely new to this, and just want some feedback as to the pros and cons. I don''t have a lot of money and want the engagement ring that I end up purchasing to be something I can be proud of. Any advice, insight, or opinions would be really helpful. Thanks!
$500 for a 1ct ??
6.gif
all kinds of problems.
38.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I did a quick search on PS for a 1ct between $100-800. This is what it will get you...an L which will be yellow with lots of inclusions.

I think Jewery Exchange will do a bait and switch on you. They'll get you into the store with a crappy 1ct for $500, but try and sell you somebody else and really rip you off, especially if you don't go in there with some research and knowledge on diamonds.

Your best bet would be to come down on the size of the stone, and get a better quality. It's not always about size
emwink.gif

1ct.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results