shape
carat
color
clarity

The jewel2004/lan.bo4 setting is here....And honestly it is way better than I expected. Problem is

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Hello All

I will post the pictures tonight when I am home but honestly it is very nice. The diamonds are white and evenly set (they are VS but single cut). There gold seems nicely finished no clumps etc (nice weight to it forsure). The jeweler I brought it to confirmed they are diamonds and the craftsman ship was good etc. The packaging was very nice and secure. Here is a ref picture however, I had it it made in yellow gold.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-setting-for-the-sapphire-need-quick-opinions-thanks-txt.113621/ vender pic (will post shots tonight)

[url=https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gem-854-from-gene-is-here.113536/]https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gem-854-from-gene-is-here.113536/
stone pic

My problem (not to do with seller or setting)
Now my problem. The setting is made for 7-8mm. My stone from gene is 7mm. The jeweler I went to said he could set it but he is affraid to bend the prongs to secure the 7mm stone as diamonds would fall out. He said there is a easy way to do it with heat but (he thinks my sapphire from gene is a Zicon so he won''t heat it). I know my stone is a sapphire but I don''t want him heating it to try to shove it in the setting either as it is a non heat treated sapphire. He said he could do it all by bending but can''t quote me a price as he would have to see how many diamonds fell out first (not sure I like this :/). I live in Toronto and I need a referal to a good setter for this setting as it is a bit more complex I have been told. charmypoo? It is a very pretty setting and I don''t want it mangled by someone.[/URL]

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know of anyone in Toronto, but I agree that I wouldn''t trust your jeweler to set that. You''re smart to look for someone else.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had an answer for you. The jeweler I went to was good but my prongs are still oversized! First they said no way and then I showed them my e-ring which has a much larger stone with prongs less than half the size. They tried again but couldn''t do it and refunded my money ... at least, they did the right thing.

I am going to try the following ... let me know what you find..

1. Diamini Jewelers
2. P&H
3. Find out who USA Certed Diamonds recommend and go to them ..

I checked out a couple other jewelers that were recomennded by my friends. The work isn''t up to my standards.

I got 3 more rings from another China seller (I actually won from 3 different sellers but they turned out to be the same one). All very good quality as well.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
I called a bunch of places and felt most comfortable with P&H. I am going to see them on wed and they will let me know if it is possible etc without the horror of the pave all falling out etc. The gold is smooth though some reflections make it look odd in the pictures and the diamond are more white looking than they appear here. My FI took them for me outside when I was at work

tearinggold.jpg

Icce

Shiny_Rock
:)

teagoldring3.jpg

Icce

Shiny_Rock
:razz:

goldringtea5.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I really like this setting!! There''s another one like it except that it has a cutout heart in the gallery - I think this one is so much nicer (without the heart), and I think it''s a more substantial setting than the other one too. Good luck with getting your stone set, ''cause I definitely want to see this one when it''s done!

Icce

Shiny_Rock
:razz:

tearinggold20.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very beautiful setting, hope to see your finish piece soon with your new gem.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Hope you get it set soon!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad your setting exceeded your expectations. My Lan.bo4 one did as well.

Do you guys have anything like Yelp up there? I found my setter with Yelp.

It's a studio that specializes in CAD and Cast and custom design with three GIA gemologists and two benchjewelers. I read the reviews of the local independant jewelry stores and just called them up to talk to them about repair work and setting outside stones-- if they do it in house, etc. I got a good vibe from this place and went in, and was really pleased. I've had repair work done by them, but this is my first time I'm using them to set a stone. Pricing is important too. One of the other local jewelers that would do it wanted to charge me 130 dollars (HAHA!), and kept telling me how difficult it was going to be and how my stone was going to break in the process.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 8:04:25 PM
Author: Gypsy
and kept telling me how difficult it was going to be and how my stone was going to break in the process.

Signs that it is time to look for a new jeweler!
9.gif

Icce- I understand your pain! Looking for a good jeweler has been tough for me, as well. I''ve found one back home that does a nice job, but no one I trust locally. But then, I am moving again so I''ll have to start again anyway
19.gif
Sometimes that is the trouble of buying online; it makes it more difficult to find a good local jeweler. (I do have someone good in Buffalo, but that is a bit of a trek to set an ebay ring)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icce,
I sorry to read about your troubles. Sounds like you are doing the right thing in shopping for an experienced bench person who would feel comfortable doing the work. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your area, hence am unable to recommend anyone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
How much was P&H for setting? That was going to be me the next one I try but I will wait until I hear back from you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Did you get your stone set? I have an appointment with P&H next week to set a stone and fix a setting.

I also dropped off a setting and stone at a jeweler at Pacific Mall. It was a simple setting and it was the only place opened at 7 PM on Sunday :razz:

exturkconner

Rough_Rock
The fellow in my local mall is actually terrific. He''s not cheap I think on average his setting price is $90.00 which is on the lower end of the high range but he does quality work. Also wil ldo complete custom pieces for $90.00 per hour plus material expenses. Again not too bad considering the fellows skill at the craft. When I get my next one done I''ll be sure to post up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results