shape
carat
color
clarity

The interiors of your homes!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer, I love the minimalist, yet traditional vibe of your dining room! Very calming, comforting and beautiful!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly--I love the room you posted. It looks like the perfect place to curl up with a good book and spend hours and hours reading in front of the fire.

Diamondseeker--Your home really does look like a showroom home! I tell DH that we don't have a "grown-up" house yet, and when I think of "grown-up" homes I think of homes that are super sophisticated like yours. I could never design spaces as beautifully as you do! And your FIL's pieces are amazing!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006, you're living room wall color is very close to ours, and the plantation blinds and shutters are like ours, too. I love that combo of the white woodwork and the warmer color on the walls.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Here are living room alternate views (taken August 2010):

Living room Aug 2010 view from kitchen.jpg

living room different angle.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewelerman|1318606750|3040252 said:
Diamond seeker,
You have an amazing showroom home! It is so warm and inviting and you have really made the style consistent through out each room!When can i come visit?!Is this all your own handy work or did you have help?You have found a great balance in using objects and art work for detail without getting cluttered!

Thank you jewelerman and Haven for your incredibly nice comments! I actually did it all myself other than the drapery lady suggested designs for the window treatments and I selected the ones I liked and picked out the fabrics. I actually paid an interior designer to come for a one hour consultation this summer because I was thinking I needed to change the color of the dining room, choose a new light fixture for the breakfast room, and decide which windows needed valances or draperies. But I honestly did not follow a thing she said! I realized it was going to be her taste and not mine! I honestly did not know whether anyone would even like my pictures because I don't have much confidence. I bought each piece one at a time over the last year and a half because I have fabulous outlets from very good furniture manufacturers here in NC. So I really wasn't sure if it came together as well as it would have if a designer came in and did it all at one time! But I don't have the money to pay for that, so I had to do it all myself on a budget!

I love so many styles! I love each of the homes posted so far! I was just invested in some pieces such as our bed and the clock, etc. that I had to stay in a traditional zone. My last house was more farmhouse style and I got rid of many more rustic antiques because they just wouldn't have looked right in this house.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A few more photos of decor and dining room.

We have not bought a dining room set yet, as the size and shape of our dining room is odd and somewhat small. We are using my great-grandmother's kitchen table which my dad refinished more than 40 years ago. The table in the background is in the 'entry'. My front door opens up right into the dining room, and past the brick columns is the living room. It is an open concept ranch - - I'm guessing. We could only have a table and maybe a buffet/server in the dining area; there are only two walls and they have windows. It has been hard to find something in a size that doesn't dwarf the space, so we're still searching.

dining room centerpiece for fall.jpg

fall 2011 fireplace mantel.jpg

Thanksgiving 2010 dining room.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, Holly...you've just given me a great centerpiece idea!

I love PS!!! Everything you ever need you can find out here!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1318615093|3040341 said:
Holly,
can i say how cool is the Brick work and the beam work is in your home!The bricked columns are killer!

Haven. I WANT THE MUG WALL!!!The table would be the center of my universe as well and the nephew,niece painting looks 1950s modern! great space for every day living!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1318613280|3040316 said:
Jennifer W|1318613132|3040311 said:
Haven, I love your mug collection. I also love your Frank Lloyd Wright style house! My husband and I went to an exhibition of FLW's work on our first date. I was a little bit bemused, to tell the truth. I've come to appreciate his designs over the years though. J is a passionate devotee of the man.
Thank you, Jennifer. I love your home, too. I'm very torn between loving two very different styles of home: modern ranches with long lines, and farmhouse/country style homes. I'm not sure if farmhouse/country is the right thing to call your style, but whatever it is, I love it! It's so cozy and warm.
An exhibition on FLW is an interesting choice for a first date . . . :cheeky:
one thing i forgot to mention...i am a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright! i had the opportunity in the early 1990s to sell an set of 1940s aquamarine and diamond jewelry (Tiffany & Co.)that he gave his third wife!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
So how has everyone that has posted learned to BEAUTIFULLY edit what they put in their home? i have a very eclectic taste and like several styles! its hard to pick a look and stay with it! I was raised in The western united states and so i have collected alot of genuine American Indian art.I love the look of leather and pottery in a room and really like the warm,un cluttered look of the arts and crafts movement.I also really like the look of art deco and the 1950s modernist because its so clean and direct.I think it would also be cool to have a traditional southern style home like DIAMOND SEEKERS,with the great cherry wood pieces that never grow out of style! I have packed away boxes of china,crystal and silver by Lenox, and Wedgwood that Ive inherited and collected over the years that i would like to use or display someday in a home...So how do you pick and edit when your taste and possessions is eclectic? i would like to post pictures of these things to show,but currently im in a bachelor pad type home and most everything is packed and waiting for a new home!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
JMan--How cool that you sold some of FLW's jewelry!

As for choosing, I'm probably not the best to give advice because, as you can see, my house isn't nearly as well-decorated as everyone else's on here. Really, though, I just fill it with things that I find beautiful or inspiring. The pottery, for example. And books. I'll take pictures of our bookshelves in the family room later. I love natural woods, hence the dining room table and the buffet. I like quirky pieces--I haven't posted it, but I have a huge square ottoman covered in patchwork fabric. (It's a large version of the little one along the living room wall.) I don't think everything in my house "goes" per se, but since I love it all, it makes me feel like I'm home when I'm here.

There are certain things I like, such as bench seating, and I have a lot of that in the house, too.

ETA: The biggest piece of advice I can give is to give things a try. If you don't like 'em, you can always return them. But sometimes I don't know if I'll like something until I live with it for a short while.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Now that is my perennial problem! Left to my own devices, I'd live in something that looks like an episode of Hoarders. As we've decorated each room, I've decluttered, and forced myself to pare it down to the minimum that still looks reasonably warm and homely. To give you an idea of the level of challenge that is to me, here's a room that's waiting to be done... :bigsmile:

There are actually 7 singer sewing machines in this tiny space, and that's just for starters. Out of shot, there are three bookcases, 3 packing cases (unpacked, 8 years and counting) another piano (but it's going this weekend) a fetching cocktail cabinet shaped like a globe, a hat stand and a laundry hamper.

I should add, I do know that the walls need to be plastered - the pictures are up there really just because I don't have space to store them flat anywhere. ;))

DSC01097.JPG

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1318596780|3040158 said:
Holly, I love the placement of the furniture and the fireplace makes it so cozy looking!

Jennifer, I just love old houses and antiques! You did a great job on the dr renovation and the flower arrangement in the lr is gorgeous!

Thank you! I'm pleased with the rooms we've tackled, but there is surely still some work to be done!

Your home is gorgeous, btw. I especially love the kitchen. Mine will look like that when um, when... ok, it never will. For one thing, we're too messy! :bigsmile:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Haven|1318613280|3040316 said:
Jennifer W|1318613132|3040311 said:
Haven, I love your mug collection. I also love your Frank Lloyd Wright style house! My husband and I went to an exhibition of FLW's work on our first date. I was a little bit bemused, to tell the truth. I've come to appreciate his designs over the years though. J is a passionate devotee of the man.
Thank you, Jennifer. I love your home, too. I'm very torn between loving two very different styles of home: modern ranches with long lines, and farmhouse/country style homes. I'm not sure if farmhouse/country is the right thing to call your style, but whatever it is, I love it! It's so cozy and warm.
An exhibition on FLW is an interesting choice for a first date . . . :cheeky:

Yes. It should have been a great big red flag, right there, huh? :bigsmile:

I don't know if there's actually a word for our style. :lol: The house was a Victorian railway station, so that gives it a certain look - theme is too strong a word (I hope) but we do have a few railway artefacts dotted around. The object on the wall is a phonopore, a sort of early phone used on the railway network telegraph wires to keep in contact between stations on a line. The blurry photos on the wall are of the station in its heyday. Not a great quality pic, sorry. The last one is a lamp from a pullman railway carriage, circa 1932 (when the station closed to passenger trains). The cabinet it's sitting on houses a 1950s singer 201k machine, one of my favourites.

DSC01085.JPG

DSC01098.JPG

DSC01099.JPG

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HollyS|1318613323|3040317 said:
Jennifer, I love the minimalist, yet traditional vibe of your dining room! Very calming, comforting and beautiful!

Thank you, Holly. I'm working really hard at keeping it clutter free, it doesn't come naturally to me. :bigsmile: One thing that room needs is a rug like yours - if you ever get tired of it, just list in the pre-loved section please!

ETA I LOVE this thread. So much fun to get a little peek inside PSers houses. Thank you to everyone who posted pics, I've really enjoyed seeing them.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jewelerman - how exciting to get your first condo! I just bought my first home - a 1950's mid century "modest" ranch. It is pretty bare right now, because I'm being picky and I'm taking my time to get design ideas. I will say that contemporary design's aversion to color makes me sad - so I'm sticking with color palettes from the 50's and 60's.

My favorite site for research is http://retrorenovation.com/

I also like this blog - lots of good ideas to mix retro with contemporary http://bradybunchremodel.com/

I don't yet have any pics of my home - but I did get this wallpaper for my kitchen: http://www.bradbury.com/5w_atd.html and this wallpaper for my master bedroom: http://www.bradbury.com/5w_goo_710.html

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really enjoying seeing photos of your homes!

jewelerman|1318619551|3040408 said:
So how do you pick and edit when your taste and possessions is eclectic?

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to display everything you own all at once. You can rotate different items through your home. Groupings of three similar items usually looks very nice. Or you can use a common color to tie different items together.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker, where did you get that metal wall art piece on the wall above your tv? Love it!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1318621647|3040433 said:
HollyS|1318613323|3040317 said:

Thank you, Holly. I'm working really hard at keeping it clutter free, it doesn't come naturally to me. :bigsmile: One thing that room needs is a rug like yours - if you ever get tired of it, just list in the pre-loved section please!

ETA I LOVE this thread. So much fun to get a little peek inside PSers houses. Thank you to everyone who posted pics, I've really enjoyed seeing them.

Easy to find at your local Walmart. I got the runner first for the entry tile floor, and decided to buy the matching 5 x 8 for the LR. I recently was eye-balling a different combo over at Kirkland's and another set over at Ross. Something less traditional with a mid century vibe. Hmmmm. . . Anyway, I also have a red/tan/green rug set in the kitchen; runner in front of the stove and cabinets, small rug in front of sink, and big one under the table and chairs. Also from Walmart, all very Pottery Barn/Ballard Design-esque for a whole lot less moola.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman|1318617434|3040379 said:
HollyS|1318615093|3040341 said:
Holly,
can i say how cool is the Brick work and the beam work is in your home!The bricked columns are killer!

Haven. I WANT THE MUG WALL!!!The table would be the center of my universe as well and the nephew,niece painting looks 1950s modern! great space for every day living!

We love these features. So completely unlike anything we had seen in any other house. We have an entire brick wall with two arched doorways leading to two bedrooms and a bath on the front, and the master suite on the back. There is a floor to ceiling built in oak bookcase behind that wall as you go to the master bedroom - - that was where Holly shouted, "SOLD!", and hubby knew I was done house hunting. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer jewelerman.....I think when you have a lot of art and objects to display, you can go with any general style you like but keep it fairly neutral. Then let your art and collectibles provide the color and interest. I still displayed some of my favorite handmade and antique items (pottery, handcarved bowls,etc.) on my bookshelves in the great room even though some were more rustic than some of the furniture. I think tabletops, walls, and shelves are the key to displaying things. Haven, Holly, and Jennifer all have objects displayed in various areas.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Haven, I love your built in nook! Adorable, perfect, cozy, homey!

And diamondseeker's house looks like she's a professional stager on HGTV! What a beautiful bed; the linens are so pretty.

Jennifer's is really quaint and eclectic.

I'm liking that everyone (so far) has the cozy bug when it comes to decor and furniture. I love to see wood rather than paint. I like colors found in nature. And I like a home to look lived in, evolved over time, loved, and welcoming.

Great thread!

BTW, I've used cell phone photos, and it looks as though it sort of distorts how big a room is. My LR looks huge in the photos and it is actually quite a bit more compact than that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Holly! I am truly humbled at the comments. Our bedroom did turn out to be my favorite room and I started with that bedding because I loved it.

I loved what you said: "I'm liking that everyone (so far) has the cozy bug when it comes to decor and furniture. I love to see wood rather than paint. I like colors found in nature. And I like a home to look lived in, evolved over time, loved, and welcoming."

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I'm glad I was wrong earlier, and I love seeing everyone's pics. Beautiful homes, everyone! They all look so cozy and comfy. That's my favorite style.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1318596780|3040158 said:
Holly, I love the placement of the furniture and the fireplace makes it so cozy looking!
ITA, I was thinking the exact same thing. Looks soooo comfy and cozy!! I like the choice of neutral colors, too.

Wow, everyone's homes are so neat, tidy and perfectly decorated!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, I LOVE your C&B table. I also love your collection of mugs. Such a creative, fun idea... adds a pop of color in a really unique way.

Jennifer, I love your dining room and the sewing machine on top of the cabinet. I also like the framed photos on the wall in the other room. I want to do that on a wall in our condo - different sized framed photos hung together but at different levels.

Diamondseeker, Gorgeous... your bedroom looks like a photo out of a magazine! In fact, your entire home could be featured in House Beautiful.

Holly, Your living room space is to die for with the beams, brick and vaulted ceiling. Wow!!

This is a great thread. I really enjoy seeing different styles and decor. Even if it's not my own style, it's always interesting to see and draw inspiration from others spaces.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning houses everyone! I love looking at houses and interiors!!!!

Our style is quite minimalist and somewhat contemporary, I love open spaces and not much 'stuff', plus any 'stuff' we get, the dogs destroy anyway :bigsmile:

HousePics 016.jpg

HousePics 017.jpg

Attachments

• HousePics 016.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 405
  • HousePics 017.bmp
    529.1 KB · Views: 403

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
portia|1318642105|3040652 said:
Haven, I LOVE your C&B table. I also love your collection of mugs. Such a creative, fun idea... adds a pop of color in a really unique way.

Jennifer, I love your dining room and the sewing machine on top of the cabinet. I also like the framed photos on the wall in the other room. I want to do that on a wall in our condo - different sized framed photos hung together but at different levels.

Diamondseeker, Gorgeous... your bedroom looks like a photo out of a magazine! In fact, your entire home could be featured in House Beautiful.

Holly, Your living room space is to die for with the beams, brick and vaulted ceiling. Wow!!

This is a great thread. I really enjoy seeing different styles and decor. Even if it's not my own style, it's always interesting to see and draw inspiration from others spaces.

Thank you! Funny that everyone likes the sewing machine - it's our biggest domestic squabble. Every time I leave the house, DH puts it in the garage. It's his most hated thing. Every time he leaves the house, I bring it back. :bigsmile: Yesterday, he put it in the garage while I was visiting my mother. Today, he has foolishly left the house to take the kid for a walk. There are now 11 such machines in our dining room, on every flat surface (I have a collection). I'm hoping this will make my point. I'm actually hoping this will be the Final Word on the matter.. :lol:

Holly, no Walmarts where I live, but I am going rug shopping tomorrow in earnest. You inspired me. I also love that soft honey coloured brick work. Such lovely house.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
DandiAndi, your kitchen is gorgeous. I know you use it, because I've seen the cupcakes, but it looks like a showroom!

Mine looks like a junkstore with a sink and cooker. :bigsmile:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1318761759|3041395 said:
DandiAndi, your kitchen is gorgeous. I know you use it, because I've seen the cupcakes, but it looks like a showroom!

Mine looks like a junkstore with a sink and cooker. :bigsmile:

Yeeeaahhh....you should see MINE when I've dragged out my soldering stuff (since I don't have a dedicated area for it). Torch rig in the middle of the floor, hoses around, pliers, tweezers, pickle jar, flux, blah blah blah. And you can't put it away every time you step away.

With all the stuff we do in the kitchen, it's a wonder we can actually COOK in it! ;)) :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results