shape
carat
color
clarity

the infamous setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
I fell in love with the classic tiffany, six prong, soltaire on a platinum band ring. I realize now, after extensive research- that it was most certainly the setting that I fell in love with, as I know I can get just as stunning a diamond on a platinum band (for much less money) elsewhere. BUT- i have yet to see one six prong setting that rivals Tiffany. There are not nearly as delicate...they are "taller"...they are generally jutting right out of the band, rather than the band going completely around, uninterrupted, and the setting above that. I am beginning to think that Tiffany can charge the money they do, b/c that setting is so coveted, and you just can''t get it anywhere else. They own it- and they are marking up a fortune b/c of it. Is there a patent?? I mean, honestly, is there a reason why it is IMPOSSIBLE to find that exact setting anywhere else....and does anyone else on this board feel as frustrated as I do!?!?

IP

Rough_Rock
I agree. That is my dream setting. It's so classic and simple. It compliments the diamond beautifully. I've looked into the Tiffany look-a-likes, but none compare. You are right, they are taller and thicker and cover the diamond more. I haven't talked w/ a jeweler about replicating it exactly so don't know if it's possible.

I think it boils down to what you love and what you can afford. For me it's all about the setting. I would love my boyfriend to pay $5k more for my ideal ring/setting that I fell in love w/ than to get the best deal possible for something that I won't like as much. Spread out $5k over all of the years you are married and it's nothing.

I don't really care that people think the cut isn't as good at Tiffany's. Tiffany rings look fabulous and that's all that matters. Nobody's going to be going around showing off their diamond certs or talking about what they paid for their ring (I hope) so who cares. Go with what you love!

bht122

Rough_Rock
Hey
1.gif

Yep, the Tiffany & Co. setting is stunning. I don't think you'll find the EXACT setting but there are some that are very similar:

Fusaro
Mednikow

icey

Rough_Rock
what do you guys think of the cartier setting?

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Im in the exact same situation. The tiffany ring (diamond and Setting) look 10X better, as a complete package, than any comparable setting Ive looked at. It certainly is a great marketing tool and everyone knows that equivalent diamonds (or better diamonds) can be had for a few thousand dollars less. But again I think nothing compares to the tiffany combo. I looked at some tiffany "style" settings at other jewelers and was shocked that they even compared it to tiffanys. The bulkyness, the noticeable "knife edge", the higher setting for the stone, the thickness of the prongs were all noticable to me and I am not a ring expert by any means.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The Cartier setting makes me swoon. I've never been all that fond of the Tiffany setting, but the Cartier setting blows me away.

That said, the Tiffany setting is very different from most of the knock-offs. I'm one of those who believes that the setting is as important as the stone, so if the Tiffany setting makes your heart beat faster and you can afford the premium, then go for it.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/18/2003 1:52:37 PM Hest88 wrote:

The Cartier setting makes me swoon. I've never been all that fond of the Tiffany setting, but the Cartier setting blows me away.

----------------

Can you provide a link to where I can see what the Cartier setting looks like. I looked on their website but am not sure which ring you are refering to.
Thanks.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Kiz, Cartier's site is really annoying, isn't it? I thought Tiffany's was annoying, but Cartier's is much worse. This isn't a good picture, but you can sort of see it.
http://www.mychoice.com.hk/image/jewellery/cartier/cartier-28s.jpg

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Thanks Hest...
Not only is the Cartier site annoying, I didnt even see anything resembling this setting on the site.
rolleyes.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think it's called their 1895 solitaire, and is their classic engagement ring.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
thanks again Hest. There is a Cartier store near Tiffanys and I may just go to see it in person during my next trip to Tiffanys. (Just for fun ofcourse, the last thing i need is another variable in the equation)
confused.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
C'mon I find it impossible to believe there are no exact knock offs...

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Exact knockoffs would be a trademark infringement, and Tiffany has been pretty zealous about protecting their designs. I believe they busted a ring of knockoff artists in NYC a few months back.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
In some sense, this is why I believe that Tiffany's rings are partly worth the price. I mean, nobody makes them so beautiful! You're all right, the knock-offs are mostly terrible looking, with extra high prongs, distinct knife edge and do not have those beautiful, sleek lines...
Now, if you can afford the Tiffany premium, then go for it. Their stones are not so bad. Some of them show very nice arrows. Think about HOW MANY Tiffanys knock-offs we see: the 6 pring engagement, the etoile semibezel, the etoile band, diamonds by the yard and so on and on...
Some tiffany's pieces truly look special to me. Okay, now you can kill me!
9.gif

BTW, Mednikow's ring looks VEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRYYY nice and somewhat close to the real thing!!!!
1.gif

liz

Rough_Rock
Check out this six-prong Tiffany setting by Juan Manuel of Van Graff. I think it's the best Tiffany reproduction I've ever seen. You can find Juan's e-mail address at the Van Graff site: www.van-graff.com.

Tiffany.jpg

IP

Rough_Rock
That's pretty, but the diamond still sits higher than the Tiffany.

Go to http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond_setting.asp? and you can see the side view and how low the diamond sits.

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
As far as a setting goes it truly can make the total perfect ring for you. You can have the perfect diamond and if you see a setting you like better than what you have you might have buyer's remorse.

I had a tiffany style (not the original) setting for years and wanted something different and unique. I looked for almost a year before I found something that said to me, "This is it" The attachment is a custom design made for me. I saw something similar and worked with the designer to make my set. It took over a month from start to finish and he even determined which alloy of platinum would work best for my preferences. I like the shinier look and didn't want the quick matte of the 950 plat. We went with 900 plat/100 iridium and so far my rings are holding the high polish just as well as my previous white gold rings did.

Anyway to make a point, if you absolutely love the true tiffany setting than I would say, "go for it" You won't be disappointed.

Good luck,
Sheila

ShowLetter.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results