shape
carat
color
clarity

The Horse Lovers'' Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
YAYAYAYAY! I love horses. I''ve been around horses my whole life and sometime I''ll post pictures of all of my horses old and new. Right now I have two arabian geldings, an appendix gelding (my sister barrel races on him) and a rocky mountain cross who is retired (he broke his right hind a few years back, just a hairline but not rideable now so he just gets to be fat). I do mostly english, with a foundation in dressage. I''m currently working towards doing eventing, and hope to get to where I can professionally train arabians and half arabians for this sport. I can do dressage just fine, just gotta build up my seat and balance in jumping. I''m certified in equine sports massage therapy and am going back to school to major in equine sciences.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dragonfly ~ There you are! I was wondering when you''d check in! I would LOVE to get certified in ESMT. Did you do yours through Equissage? They''re located in Round Hill, VA, which is relatively close to me, and I''ve been thinking about it. Do you use it much, and has it paid for itself yet? I''m just full of questions about this! LOL!
2.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I actually got mine through Animal Dynamics here in Ocala Florida. They were fantastic and offer courses in acupuncture, acupressure and saddle fit. I plan to go back after I finish school. It''s a great learning process and you really will never look at a horse the same. I''m in the process of re studying as I want to memorize all of the bones and muscles without referring to the charts.

oceanlove

Rough_Rock
wishful - I know you said you don''t do it much anymore, but I''m a saddle seat rider myself so I thought I''d say hello!
1.gif
I''ve ridden saddle seat pretty much since I started riding when I was a kid, and I just can''t seem to get comfortable in anything else so I even trail ride in my flat saddle LOL. It''s funny though, outside of my personal circle of horse-friends I don''t meet a lot of saddle seat riders, and most non-horse people don''t even know what it is--they always think I mean "side-saddle"
3.gif
. Oh, and I''m super jealous of your job, that''s so cool!

NEL - I''ve always loved the "spirited" horses myself...and I think they make you a better rider as well. I''ve had a couple really spirited mares (it seems like the mares -or stallions- are usually the unpredictable ones, *most* geldings I''ve dealt with are more well-behaved. Not to say that geldings can''t be spirited) who loved to try and buck me off and such, and I think they really made me into the rider I am today (and not to mention, how to stay on!).
10.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2008 5:34:34 PM
Author: dragonfly411
I actually got mine through Animal Dynamics here in Ocala Florida. They were fantastic and offer courses in acupuncture, acupressure and saddle fit. I plan to go back after I finish school. It''s a great learning process and you really will never look at a horse the same. I''m in the process of re studying as I want to memorize all of the bones and muscles without referring to the charts.
Wow, that''s great that they offer courses in saddle fit too! That''s another topic that I''ve always wanted to know more about. Very cool! I think I''m going to look into this further . . .
21.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, ladies . . . I''ve gotta say it:

457492dro0rb016c.gif

Show me those gorgeous ponies already! LOL!
2.gif

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 10:05:43 PM
Author: oceanlove
wishful - I know you said you don''t do it much anymore, but I''m a saddle seat rider myself so I thought I''d say hello!
1.gif
I''ve ridden saddle seat pretty much since I started riding when I was a kid, and I just can''t seem to get comfortable in anything else so I even trail ride in my flat saddle LOL. It''s funny though, outside of my personal circle of horse-friends I don''t meet a lot of saddle seat riders, and most non-horse people don''t even know what it is--they always think I mean ''side-saddle''
3.gif
. Oh, and I''m super jealous of your job, that''s so cool!

Yeah I started out when I was young riding arabians at a small back yard place but we rode them hunt seat. But that exposed me to the Arabian Breed shows...where we had one horse who competed in Show Hack. I got to see all the gorgeous halter horses and all the amazing English Pleasure and Park horses but I never imagined I''d get to do that.
Then we had a trainer come in many years later and although she taught huntseat, she had a Morgan farm and showed them in driving and English Pleasure. She was the one who got me into riding Saddleseat. And when I was finally allowed to get my own horse (at age 18) I got a Half Arabian National Show Horse and competed her in English Pleasure. Boy was she a firecracker!!!!! But FUN!!!!!!!
9.gif

Yes the job is fun. I love shopping for a living. hee hee
27.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Irish - I think the saddle fit is very useful. The massage will explain a lot of WHY. I had the honor of working with some fantastic horses while I was in the program. Mostly hunters, but some driving horses as well.
Wishful - Another arabian enthusiast! YAY lol.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
I''m gonna try and get some pics up.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dragonfly ~ Thanks for the info! I think I''m seriously going to look into the course through Equissage. Even if I can''t make much (or any) money doing this for other people''s horses, I''d at least like to know how to do it for my own. I think the benefits of massage in horses are GREATLY underestimated by most people. Besides, it just sounds like fun!
9.gif

Wishful ~ Good! I''m anxiously awaiting those pics!!!
4.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!

Ok, so this morning I am supposed to be getting together with a friend from work.... She is going to take me to the farm where she boards her horses so I can see the facilities, etc. I had mentioned to her a few wks ago that I really want to get into riding again (knowing she has been an avid rider for many yrs- she is quite a bit older than me). I thought she may know some people that I can hook up with/start taking lessons with....Instead, she offered to take me out today, and to put me in contact with one of her trainers!! How nice is that!! I am not sure how it will work out, so we''ll see!!!! I will let you know when I get back!! But Im excited!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani ~ Good for you! That sounds great! Definitely let us know how it goes!!!
9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Soooo...I didnt end up going out with my friend yesterday...We ended up going today, and I had so much fun!!! The facility where she boards her horse is gorgeous, and I was even able to watch the main trainer there give a few private lessons. I met him, and he is willing to teach me, but boy, is it pricey!!!! He charges $75 per hr for one-on-one lessons. I came home and spoke to MH about it, and he agreed that it was pricey, but if it makes me happy, I should just do it. So, I am thinking maybe I will take a lesson every other wk? Even though I would love to get there once a wk, it is very expensive, and I think (at least initially) once every other wk is just a bit more resonable. What does everyone think? Should I do it? I would love to hear your feedback....

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani~

I think it sounds good. I know $75 for an hour-long lesson sounds expensive, but I believe you said that was for a private lesson. Is that right? Does he offer group lessons? If so, the group lessons are probably a bit less expensive. Also, I''ve found that you sometimes actually learn more in a group lesson, because you get the added benefit of seeing what the other riders are doing right/wrong and learning from their successes and mistakes. Even if he doesn''t offer group lessons, though, I still think a private lesson every other week sounds like a good plan. I''m not sure where you live, but it''s entirely possible that $75 per hour is the going rate for private lessons in your area. (It''s usually a bit less here, but we kinda live in the sticks.) Maybe he offers a discount if you pre-pay for a package of like ten lessons at a time? It would be worth asking . . . many instructors do offer a discount if you purchase a package of lessons.
1.gif

Did you like what you saw when you watched him teach? That''s a GREAT way to assess whether or not a particular instructor is right for you. Did he seem to be supportive of his students, or was he constantly yelling at them and putting them down? Did the students feel comfortable asking questions? If so, did he adequately answer their questions? Most importantly, does he require basic safety precautions like helmets and appropriate boots (no flat-soled shoes like sneakers)? Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!
21.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 9:35:52 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Dani~

I think it sounds good. I know $75 for an hour-long lesson sounds expensive, but I believe you said that was for a private lesson. Is that right? Does he offer group lessons? If so, the group lessons are probably a bit less expensive. Also, I've found that you sometimes actually learn more in a group lesson, because you get the added benefit of seeing what the other riders are doing right/wrong and learning from their successes and mistakes. Even if he doesn't offer group lessons, though, I still think a private lesson every other week sounds like a good plan. I'm not sure where you live, but it's entirely possible that $75 per hour is the going rate for private lessons in your area. (It's usually a bit less here, but we kinda live in the sticks.) Maybe he offers a discount if you pre-pay for a package of like ten lessons at a time? It would be worth asking . . . many instructors do offer a discount if you purchase a package of lessons.
1.gif

Did you like what you saw when you watched him teach? That's a GREAT way to assess whether or not a particular instructor is right for you. Did he seem to be supportive of his students, or was he constantly yelling at them and putting them down? Did the students feel comfortable asking questions? If so, did he adequately answer their questions? Most importantly, does he require basic safety precautions like helmets and appropriate boots (no flat-soled shoes like sneakers)? Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!
21.gif

Hi Irish!

Thanks so much for your response!!! Yes, the $75 p/h was for a private lesson. I am not sure if he offers group lessons...From my understanding (at least its what my friend told me) he is a professional trainer that really doesnt train many people from the "outside," meaning that he basically only trains clients that own horses at this particular barn. My friend told me that if he offered to teach me, I should take advantage (Im sure he made an exception to take me on b/c my friend boards her horse there and they are good friends). She said that I will learn so much from him and he will really teach me how to ride, and I trust her...She's been riding for a really long time, and has been through many instructors herself.

I havent ridden in about 10 yrs, and the instructor I had at that time was really crappy. I am basically going to be starting from scratch, and I told the trainer that. He seemed enthusiastic about it and I definitely got a good vibe from him, even when watching him teach other lessons yesterday. He seemed VERY into his students and teaching them, and seemed VERY professional...He was firm with them, but never condescending at all. And yes, all of the riders were wearing appropriate safety/riding gear...Which I have to go out and purchase soon if I am going to do this.

My friend told me that I should try it out for a couple of months, and go every other week. Then if I am really into it, I can move it up to once a wk. I think I am going to try it...I have always wanted to make it a hobby of mine, and now I have the chance to train with someone who will really teach me, so why not? Its just so darn expensive...why couldnt I pick a cheaper hobby??
3.gif

Thanks again, Irish, I will definitely let you know how it goes....BTW, I live in Northern NJ.....EVERTHING is expensive here!!!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Dani!
35.gif

Ah, yes, I''m sure $75 per hour is probably pretty common for private lessons in your area. I live in southcentral PA, very close to the Mason-Dixon line, so things are usually much cheaper here. I think doing a lesson every other week sounds like a great plan! And, like you said, if you really love it, you can always increase your lessons to once a week. Definitely ask about a discount if you pre-pay for a package of lessons, though . . . most instructors do offer this, and the worst he can say is "no"!
2.gif

About safe riding gear: You''ll want to wear long pants for each lesson. Jeans should be fine, unless he requires you to wear breeches. (Some instructors do, although I really have no idea why.) You''ll need a pair of riding boots and, most importantly, a helmet! I have several pairs of Ariat boots, and I absolutely love them! They''re the most comfortable shoes I own! They''re a little pricey, but I think they''re a worthwhile investment if you plan to stick with riding. I think the Ariat paddock boots I recently bought were about $130. As far as the helmet is concerned, you can find a nice schooling helmet for about $30 to $50. Good luck, and keep us posted!
21.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Irish!

Thanks so much for your response the other day....Sorry Im late getting back to you....So, I have the day off today, and I am debating whether or not I should give this trainer a call and set up my first lesson for next wk. I want to do it soooo bad....But, I really feel so self-indulgent spending all of this $$$$ on my little hobby, you know? I acutally feel guilty about it...Im sorry, Im just venting....I was going to call him and book a day and time for next wk, and today I was thinking about taking a drive over to the riding gear store and picking up some of the stuff I need....

Oh well, maybe I should just do it....Why am I having such a hard time with this???
6.gif
Whats wrong with me? This is sooo out of character!!!!
3.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani, I know how you feel. It''s not the cheapest hobby in the world, but I think it provides sanity for many of us. I look at it this way: monthly board for my horse is STILL way cheaper than a weekly session with a therapist would be! LOL!
2.gif

I think you should do it. At least set up a trial lesson, and see how you like it. If you go twice a month, that only works out to $150 per month, so it''s not even $40 per week. I bet you could put aside an extra $40 per week, right? And I''m not trying to enable you here AT ALL, of course! LOL!
12.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani, I also think you should go for it! As far as clothing, decent boots with a low heel are essential as is a safety approved helmet. If you can find some inexpensive breeches, quite honestly I would get them, as jeans can be a bit constricting and uncomfortable when worn on horseback I have found, breeches / joddies I find preferable.

If you did get a pair of Ariat boots, these can be great for casual wear too, so you should get your moneys worth!

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 8:53:31 AM
Hi, Dani!
35.gif

Ah, yes, I'm sure $75 per hour is probably pretty common for private lessons in your area. I live in southcentral PA, very close to the Mason-Dixon line, so things are usually much cheaper here. I think doing a lesson every other week sounds like a great plan! And, like you said, if you really love it, you can always increase your lessons to once a week. Definitely ask about a discount if you pre-pay for a package of lessons, though . . . most instructors do offer this, and the worst he can say is 'no'!
2.gif

About safe riding gear: You'll want to wear long pants for each lesson. Jeans should be fine, unless he requires you to wear breeches. (Some instructors do, although I really have no idea why.) You'll need a pair of riding boots and, most importantly, a helmet! I have several pairs of Ariat boots, and I absolutely love them! They're the most comfortable shoes I own! They're a little pricey, but I think they're a worthwhile investment if you plan to stick with riding. I think the Ariat paddock boots I recently bought were about $130. As far as the helmet is concerned, you can find a nice schooling helmet for about $30 to $50. Good luck, and keep us posted!
21.gif
The reason that Jeans are bad are because first off the seams on the inner leg often rub and chafe on your skin. Some people can deal with it or have no problem and others get pretty bad sores on their legs.
Secondly if you look at the crotch area of the jeans and you see the way the seam comes together and makes a little "nub". That can rub a hole in the leather of the saddle. We've seen it.
Also some trainers are traditionalists and prefer that if you are going to take a lesson that you be dressed a bit more appropriately out of respect for the instructor, the horse and the sport itself.
2.gif

I totally agree on with you about Ariat boots! I just can't help myself cuz it's my job to know all this...but the reason Ariat boots are so much better than the rest is because
1) they are made on a woman's last. Most boots are just made on a downsized Man's last and men's feet tend to be very straight from the ball of the foot to the heel where as womans are wider in the ball and more narrow in the heel.
2) Inside most boots (and shoes) there is a shank running from the ball of the foot to the heel. The shank is usually quite thin so it's sort of like you are standing/balancing on a tightrope all day which is why you get that foot achey feeling.
Ariat's shank is a composite material so it wont rust and it's about three times the width so you are standing more on a platform. Your foot is supported and stableized front to back as well as side to side.

I won't go on...because there are like 5 or 6 more cool features but those are the main reasons why Ariats "feel" so good.

Cheers!!!!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2008 11:34:52 AM
Author: wishful

Date: 7/27/2008 8:53:31 AM
Hi, Dani!
35.gif

Ah, yes, I'm sure $75 per hour is probably pretty common for private lessons in your area. I live in southcentral PA, very close to the Mason-Dixon line, so things are usually much cheaper here. I think doing a lesson every other week sounds like a great plan! And, like you said, if you really love it, you can always increase your lessons to once a week. Definitely ask about a discount if you pre-pay for a package of lessons, though . . . most instructors do offer this, and the worst he can say is 'no'!
2.gif

About safe riding gear: You'll want to wear long pants for each lesson. Jeans should be fine, unless he requires you to wear breeches. (Some instructors do, although I really have no idea why.) You'll need a pair of riding boots and, most importantly, a helmet! I have several pairs of Ariat boots, and I absolutely love them! They're the most comfortable shoes I own! They're a little pricey, but I think they're a worthwhile investment if you plan to stick with riding. I think the Ariat paddock boots I recently bought were about $130. As far as the helmet is concerned, you can find a nice schooling helmet for about $30 to $50. Good luck, and keep us posted!
21.gif
The reason that Jeans are bad are because first off the seams on the inner leg often rub and chafe on your skin. Some people can deal with it or have no problem and others get pretty bad sores on their legs.
Secondly if you look at the crotch area of the jeans and you see the way the seam comes together and makes a little 'nub'. That can rub a hole in the leather of the saddle. We've seen it.
Also some trainers are traditionalists and prefer that if you are going to take a lesson that you be dressed a bit more appropriately out of respect for the instructor, the horse and the sport itself.
2.gif

I totally agree on with you about Ariat boots! I just can't help myself cuz it's my job to know all this...but the reason Ariat boots are so much better than the rest is because
1) they are made on a woman's last. Most boots are just made on a downsized Man's last and men's feet tend to be very straight from the ball of the foot to the heel where as womans are wider in the ball and more narrow in the heel.
2) Inside most boots (and shoes) there is a shank running from the ball of the foot to the heel. The shank is usually quite thin so it's sort of like you are standing/balancing on a tightrope all day which is why you get that foot achey feeling.
Ariat's shank is a composite material so it wont rust and it's about three times the width so you are standing more on a platform. Your foot is supported and stableized front to back as well as side to side.

I won't go on...because there are like 5 or 6 more cool features but those are the main reasons why Ariats 'feel' so good.

Cheers!!!!
9.gif
Wishful ~ The breeches thing does make sense. I know some people feel more comfortable in breeches because jeans tend to chafe and rub. Personally, I have two great pairs of Ariat breeches that I love, but I swear by my Levi's! They're SO comfortable to ride in! And, I love wearing jeans to the barn. That way, if I stop at a grocery store or something before/after riding, I don't get the weird looks! LOL!
9.gif

ETA: I personally don't require my students to wear breeches, but they're more than welcome to if that's what they want to do. As long as they're wearing long pants, appropriate footwear, and most of all a properly fitting ASTM/SEI certified HELMET, that's all I ask. (You'd be amazed at the number of adults who refuse to wear a helmet. The kids are usually very cool about it, but the adults are a different story. I've actually had adults tell me that they want me to teach them, but they WILL NOT wear a helmet. At this point, I politely inform them that they'll need to find an instructor who is willing and able to scrape their brains off the arena wall, and I ain't her!!!) I have encountered instructors in the past who do require breeches and tall boots, but most of them are very show-oriented, and I'm not so much. I just want to instill a love of the sport in my students, and I want them to have fun and be comfortable.
21.gif

And a huge DITTO on the Ariat boots! I promise, after wearing a pair of Ariats, you'll NEVER buy another brand. They are AWESOME!!!
36.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, girls . . . bumping for PICS!!! {hint, hint}
31.gif

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
This is my TWH, Lady, she is 4 yrs old and she loves people.

twh4.jpg

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
This my 6 yr old TWH mare, I think she looks like your Red.

twh5.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2008 11:53:20 PM
Author: lucyloo
She looks just like my TB Jasmine!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucyloo, they're both beautiful!!!
30.gif

And you and Lorelei are right . . . I think Lady is Jasmine's twin, and the second one is Red's twin!!! What is the chestnut's name?
21.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2008 7:41:42 AM
Author: Lorelei

AHEM . . . speaking of Jasmine, you owe me some pics, Lorelei my dear!!!
25.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2008 9:08:37 AM

Date: 8/5/2008 7:41:42 AM
Author: Lorelei

AHEM . . . speaking of Jasmine, you owe me some pics, Lorelei my dear!!!
25.gif
I know, but I had to hog her mane last week as the midgies were so bad, so she is a bit bald at the moment!
39.gif
She had been scratching her neck on her fave tree and ripped chunks of her mane out, so she gave me no choice....
40.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw! Poor Jasmine! Don't worry . . . we'll ignore her baldness!
2.gif

Ya know, in the pic I posted of Red, he has this long, luxurious mane. Well, NOT ANYMORE!!! He was sweating soooo bad this summer, and he would just get drenched under his mane, so I clipped it short. It's only about two to three inches long now, so he's much cooler. And I have to say, he looks quite handsome with his new hair-do!
16.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lovely TWH! I''ll have to dig out pics of mine. I don''t have many that are current. If anyone could keep an eye out, I am looking for a few things, a relatively inexpensive dressage saddle, same for hunt, and inexpensive breeches! I''m getting back into eventing. I''m going to start my four year old. I am pretty sure I"m buying a very nice looking lunging caveson, and I have a dressage bridle. I also need a hunt bridle but that won''t be too hard. I''d like a darker leather.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results