shape
carat
color
clarity

the horror

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don''t get it do you? It''s 3 carats, and it''s crystalized carbon, so it must be valuable!
emcrook.gif

I like the nice "clear" pictures on this one.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock

MEASUREMENTS 9.48 - 9.75 *So I gather it''s not exactly "round"

26.gif

WEIGHT 2.93

PROPORTIONS

DEPTH 55.1%

TABLE 67%

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If its range wasn't I1-I3 (didn't know there was an I3??
6.gif
) ... might it be good for a recut? **shrug**

ETA: wait ... never mind ... its a "diamont" ... not even a "diamond"
31.gif

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2009 4:23:00 PM
Author: decodelighted
If its range wasn''t I1-I3 (didn''t know there was an I3??
6.gif
) ... might it be good for a recut? **shrug**
ETA: wait ... never mind ... its a ''diamont'' ... not even a ''diamond''
31.gif

There is actually a clarity grade beyond I-3 generally known amongst the trade as "dead" it''s primarily relied on by discount jewelers who advertise things like "one carat diamond tennis bracelets $99.00"

Oh it''s a diamond. Diamante is Diamond in Spanish.

Pippin - why did you hurt my eyes?!?! You know we would have to click the link
39.gif

Pippin

Rough_Rock
I''m still wondering if they actually have a GIA cert for this stone! Does GIA recognize anything more than I1?? I''ve never seen that on a GIA cert.

Yes, sorry, LOL, I know it''s enough to make your eyeballs fall out! As I said, it''s like following a natural disaster or something. I just can''t not look!
23.gif

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2009 4:46:47 PM
Author: Pippin
Does GIA recognize anything more than I1?? I''ve never seen that on a GIA cert.

Just remember that you asked for this...

giaI3claritysample.jpg

Pippin

Rough_Rock
WOW!!! So they do!! I had no idea!

Thanks, that''s really interesting to know. Scary, but interesting.
6.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I3 takes a special kind of diamond.

An I1 will typically have inclusions obvious at 10X mag and often visible to the unaided eye. A crafty cutter can plan to mask these with good planning...so the rare eye-clean I1 does exist. These are nice finds budget-wise.

I2 usually indicates the inclusions are easily visible, or so numerous that they affect transparency or brightness. The diamond might also have durability concerns caused by those characteristics.

I3 typically has visible inclusions and durability issues to boot. Or, paraphrasing one of my GIA instructors, the diamond is fugly and ready to explode.

"Set the diamond down sir. Now carefully back away... And tread lightly!"

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 4:58:47 PM
Author: Todd Gray

Seems to me...the funny thing about this I3 cert...is the picture doesn''t look remarkably different than many SIs, does it?

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Good thing the photos are blurry. It might actually sell.

Pippin

Rough_Rock
Do you think the buyer will actually think they got a good deal? I can''t imagine seeing this stone in person and being happy, having parted with upwards of $4000. It pretty much blows my mind!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2009 5:41:05 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 1/30/2009 4:58:47 PM

Seems to me...the funny thing about this I3 cert...is the picture doesn''t look remarkably different than many SIs, does it?
You''re right Ira. The scan might not have picked everything up. I don''t see the list of characteristics included and clouds, especially, can get missed in dodgy scans.

Or, interpreting the above in an I3 way, the diamond may be littered with open feathers and black pique. That''s the thing about a plot - it''s a road map to identify ''where,'' not how severe or visible. I''ve seen clean plots where the single mapped inclusion is quite visible IRL and plentifully peppered plots for a diamond that is completely eye-clean.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 6:04:39 PM
Author: John Pollard

You''re right Ira. The scan might not have picked everything up. I don''t see the list of characteristics included and clouds, especially, can get missed in dodgy scans.

Or, interpreting the above in an I3 way, the diamond may be littered with open feathers and black pique. That''s the thing about a plot - it''s a road map to identify ''where,'' not how severe or visible. I''ve seen clean plots where the single mapped inclusion is quite visible IRL and plentifully peppered plots for a diamond that is completely eye-clean.
A co-worker from years ago had a very Fugly 5 carat pear rock with so many carbon spots, if you played "connect the dots" you could draw an elephant
emotion-5.gif

What matters is that she thought it was beautiful!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 4:37:44 PM
There is actually a clarity grade beyond I-3 generally known amongst the trade as ''dead'' it''s primarily relied on by discount jewelers who advertise things like ''one carat diamond tennis bracelets $99.00''

32.gif

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Its sad how some people are ignorant about diamond stats and proportions. I''m glad I found price scope.

Thanks for sharing

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 6:41:45 PM
Author: shady71

What matters is that she thought it was beautiful!!

totally agree.. on a personal level, how the person wearing it feels about the diamond is so much more important than what the cert says...

but on the other hand, its different to see an I3 stone and still love it, than to buy an I3 stone without knowing what it is only to find it an eye-sore after paying over $4000 for it...

in the case of an ebay sales, there is still a chance of great disappointment because the buyer don''t really get to see the diamond in person before buying it...

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
It is GIA certified and clarity is I1 - I3?

GIA grades clarity in ranges?
23.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
OK Im in a mood and Im going to say it.........

that would make this the Rocky.....horror......show!!!!!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 5:36:20 PM
Author: John Pollard
I3 takes a special kind of diamond.

An I1 will typically have inclusions obvious at 10X mag and often visible to the unaided eye. A crafty cutter can plan to mask these with good planning...so the rare eye-clean I1 does exist. These are nice finds budget-wise.

I2 usually indicates the inclusions are easily visible, or so numerous that they affect transparency or brightness. The diamond might also have durability concerns caused by those characteristics.

I3 typically has visible inclusions and durability issues to boot. Or, paraphrasing one of my GIA instructors, the diamond is fugly and ready to explode.

''Set the diamond down sir. Now carefully back away... And tread lightly!''
I
emlove.gif
you John. Always making me laugh.

Sad thing is... after the LAST ebay diamond we saw on here (in detail) that one is looking pretty good.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 10:51:20 PM
Author: Sharon101
OK Im in a mood and Im going to say it.........

that would make this the Rocky.....horror......show!!!!!
9.gif

You owe me a new laptop
37.gif

Pippin

Rough_Rock
I''m really curious about something. Why would a diamond cutter create such a bad stone??? What is the thought process here? Are there just some very poor cutters out there, that would take a sizeable diamond like this and make it as terrible as possible? Or is this the work of a cutter that has no clue as to what he''s doing? And who employs this person??

Any thoughts? I mean, chances are, this could have been a much better diamond than it is. What would possess someone to do such a terrible job?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It actually hurt to read that listing, and that diamond appraised for $25,000.-? On what planet?
40.gif

Pippin

Rough_Rock
LOL, exactly, Gemgirl!! I wonder if that can be considered misleading?? If the buyer wanted a refund, could they get one based on this supposed "appraisal" information? In the real world, I can't see anyone paying more than a few hundred dollars for this ring, if that. What on earth would it appraise for?

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if there will end up having another Lopsie Fugs on the board.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
haven''t received my 10x loupe yet, but that "GIA" cert doesn''t seem to have any mention of crown and pavillion angles / percentage? and no side view of the stone?

maybe its a GTL ("Grotesious Table Leakage".. er.. i mean "Gem Trade Lab") cert...

a 67% table? really?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL at dead!

Pippin

Rough_Rock
It sure doesn''t look like the GIA certs I have. Mine are white and blue and are all laid out the same way, even though one is older. This one looks like a ''diamond grading report'' from an unknown lab.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rock salt on my porch during this cold Ohio winter will most likely look like this diamond. And I paid $4.
face1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results