shape
carat
color
clarity

The Home Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

1000000hrlurker

Rough_Rock
OK, here it goes friends. This is my first post even though I have spent a LOT of time soaking up information. To begin with, thank you all for this great site and all of the information you contribute. I am definitely going to tell anyone who is in my shoes to spend at least a couple hours, if not days, scouting Pricescope before he/she sets foot in s store or gets their hands on a diamond....especially from the "friend of the family" guy who sells everything "wholesale."
22.gif
I have had at least 6 friends offer to "hook me up" with their guy''s name/number.

Unless y''all convince me otherwise, my special lady will be getting a Van Craeynest platinum #484/584 combo (picture attached). From some best friend reconnaissance(she''s saved in my phone as "Bubba"), I have determined that she likes antique style platinum rings--so I figure that this fits that description. I also love that they forge the rings from hand the old fashioned way. I can tell from talking to Larry VC that he is someone who cares deeply about his trade. If he spends half the time on these creations that he says he does, less than $5k for the pair is a steal.

I plan on complementing the setting with this diamond...
1.12 GOG
There is that one inclusion at 2 o''clock that appears to be under the table. I plan on asking if it is eyeclean, but when I shrunk down the 40x picture to the size of the diamond I figured it would really take some major looking to see such a small speck. Also, I went to Tiffany''s to look at some stones in real life and realized how true it is that with a well-cut diamond, it''s hard to see past the sparkle--esp with jewelry store lighting
2.gif

I also noticed a couple of the arrows are a little crooked but haven''t heard anything terrible about this and it doesn''t seem to affect the output of the diamond from the included Brilliance/Fire/Scintillation reports. I would really like to keep my budget under $6k for the stone, but if there is something awesome for a few bucks more, I''m all ears.

Van Craeynest gave me the name of a gentleman named Joel Weinroth whose office is a couple blocks away from their factory in SF. He said that I will pay the same price that they pay for their diamonds since I am working with them, but I am a little skeptical. He also said they work a lot in uncertified diamonds, which is pretty counterintuitive, but makes some sense. I guess it is worth a phone call, but I trust PS enough that if the above diamond from GOG passes as OK, or a better one is found then that''s all I need to go ahead.

Also, even though the ring is going to be a surprise, there was some confusion as to her ring size and so tonight I just told her to go and get her finger sized and then tell me. Not the most romantic way to do it, but at least I can be sure it''s accurate!!!

I welcome any feedback on my process thus far but all the time spent on here has given me a lot of confidence and I feel like I''m at least on the right track. Please let me know if I should consider another stone or if you''ve heard negative things about VC. I am open to any criticism or suggestion

Now that I am registered, I feel like I am opening up a whole new world of PS. Hahaha...
And don''t worry, plenty of pics & handshots will be forthcoming once I seal the deal. I def owe that to y''all after freeloading for so long.

Thanks for all your help,
John

vc.jpg

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, and I *love* your username!! :)

First things first, that diamond you have chosen is an absolute *stunner*!

Totally awesome cut (love the AGS0!!) and great symmetry... it rocks.
36.gif

The setting you''ve chosen is beautiful & will look lovely with that diamond. I bet your GF is beside herself since you told her to find out her ring size!!!

I would seriously give the dude with the uncerted stones a wiiiiiiiiiide berth. You will have no way of knowing what you are paying for in terms of cut, colour or clarity... and like you said, it''s pretty hard to see past the sparkle once you''re under those bright lights.

The stone you''ve chosen is gorgeous and I personally wouldn''t feel the need to look beyond that one.

x x x

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 1:16:06 AM
Author: Cleo
Welcome, and I *love* your username!! :)

First things first, that diamond you have chosen is an absolute *stunner*!

Totally awesome cut (love the AGS0!!) and great symmetry... it rocks.
36.gif

The setting you've chosen is beautiful & will look lovely with that diamond. I bet your GF is beside herself since you told her to find out her ring size!!!

I would seriously give the dude with the uncerted stones a wiiiiiiiiiide berth. You will have no way of knowing what you are paying for in terms of cut, colour or clarity... and like you said, it's pretty hard to see past the sparkle once you're under those bright lights.

The stone you've chosen is gorgeous and I personally wouldn't feel the need to look beyond that one.

x x x
Ditto Cleo, that is a fabulous diamond you have chosen! Check it is eyeclean to your standards and you should be set! I wouldn't have thought there was a problem with the arrows, check with GOG if you are concerned.

1000000hrlurker

Rough_Rock
Thanks Cleo and Lorelei, I appreciate your responses. I will call GOG later today.

Another possibly controversial question for the forum: About 3/4 of the way through the process, after I had already found the VC setting above, my inside source mentioned that my GF had emailed a picture of a ring that she really likes. You can see a picture of it below. The text of the forwarded email said this...

"I think this is beautiful…. Of course, it is very ornate & expensive! But I like the antique look. I would really be happy with anything. I dreamed that John gave me a ring with a purple stone (her school color) and I was thrilled! Ha.
Don’t tell anyone I am even looking – I would be embarrassed!!"

There were two problems with this:
1) I had already done a lot of work and learned about most B&M stores and the huge margins that they charge for mediocre diamonds. Added to that there''s no telling whether that ring was made in a factory in Timbuktu or handcrafted by an expert. Plus, that ring is at a jeweler here in town and I''d have to pay an extra $800 in sales tax--which would make the price almost exactly equal with the VC setting plus diamond.

2) This process is definitely not about me, but I really don''t like that setting at all, and I like the VC setting a LOT. This one looks a little bit like it''s just a molded piece of metal crusted in a ton of diamonds. The original specification I heard was that she liked "antiquey" rings with engraving etc. In my mind, the VC setting accomplishes that goal and I think it will look great on her hand, and have plenty of sparkle!!

In all, I feel really good because her best friend LOVES the VC setting. But if y''all think I have committed a Cardinal sin by not following the wishes of my GF spot on, let me know...

rg2532-2.jpg

1000000hrlurker

Rough_Rock
Also, Lorelei, what is that in your avatar?????? I have seen it hundreds of times and the best I can come up with is an overfed white rabbit with fake eyelashes
9.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
You know what? I think she will love the setting you have chosen.

To me, your VC setting has the same antique style look & feel as the one your GF loves, but is more delicate & has beautiful craftsmanship.

Based on the picture she emailed, I''d say you did a great job & you needn''t lose any sleep. :)

That''s MHO anyway. :)

x x x

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion is that the setting you are considering is beautiful and definitely has the antique look your GF likes. Is it possible you could ask your ' inside source' to find out if the setting in the email is exactly what she wants to the letter? It could be that just parts of the style of the setting appeal to her, and she would be delighted with the VC. l far prefer the VC setting, but if you could get a little more info, then that might be helpful.

Cleo hit the nail on the head, your VC setting is definitely more elegant and graceful I think.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 8:06:41 AM
Author: 1000000hrlurker
Also, Lorelei, what is that in your avatar?????? I have seen it hundreds of times and the best I can come up with is an overfed white rabbit with fake eyelashes
9.gif
LOL!!! You would be right! The story goes, I uploaded this white fluffy rabbit avatar sometime ago, but then PSer Holly wasn't sure which way the rabbit was facing
11.gif
, so Miss Ellen did some graffiti with the eyelashes so everyone would know it was the bunny's face and not the b-tt!!

1000000hrlurker

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight.

Diamond bought. Check about to be dropped in the mail for the setting. That was way too easy! PS ROCKS!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 2:10:24 PM
Thanks for the insight.

Diamond bought. Check about to be dropped in the mail for the setting. That was way too easy! PS ROCKS!!
9.gif

Yay! I think she''s going to love what you have picked out. (she said in the email she''d love anything, so I think you are safe)
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 2:10:24 PM
Thanks for the insight.

Glad to help!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS 100000hrlurker...I''m a Van Craeynest nut, be sure to bring us lots of pictures!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results