shape
carat
color
clarity

The Great Haircut Debate!

Does hair grow faster with regular trims?

• No!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have no idea but want to see what everyone else thinks!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I''m right there with you!! My poor T''s bangs are in her eyes constantly if I don''t have them clipped back or in a ponytail (luckily she rarely pulls them out). My mom constantly asks me when I''m cutting them and I say "never."
41.gif
I am thinking about getting it trimmed in the back because it''s kind of looking uneven. It used to look like it was stacked...not so much any more.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is such a silly thing, here is the explanation.

When you trim your hair, it keeps the ends healthy and prevents breakage. So it''s not that it''s growing faster, it''s that it''s breaking less. So regular trims help your hair to get longer faster, but not in the context of growing, but rather in the context of breakage.

However, shaving your head does alter hair growth
11.gif
It can re-align the follicles in some cases, causing the growth pattern to be different. Won''t make it grow any faster, just in different directions.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I will hold strong and NOT get her haircut!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Please allow me to put this myth to rest....

Hair, obviously, grows from the root. But, it breaks and damages from the end. The reason "regular trims" are highly recommended is because once hair "breaks" it cannot (no matter what expensive products you use) be repaired. And, once broken or split, the hair will continue to peel all the way up the shaft (think of it like a banana). Continual breakage causes the hair to "shorten" itself accidentally...basically, if your hair is breaking off, then it's mooting out whatever growth is actually taking place. So, by removing dead or damanged hair with a "trim" every 6 to 8 weeks your hair will of course be healthier because it's no longer continuely breaking off, and you will actually see the hair growth. Also, it will appear fuller and thicker as well because trims restore blunt, fat lines. But,in the end, it has nothing to do with the rate of growth.

People have tried everything under the sun to improve the rate at which hair grows. And, if someone ever figured out a fool proof method they would a millionaire a million times over. But, there isn't a single proven thing on the market--be it prescriped or otherwise--that will without a doubt make your hair grow fast. Hair grows based on hormons, vitamins and other key elements that become alined.

Hope that was helpful.

T, your daughter is gorgeous...her hair is beautiful...and I love, love, love her natural hairline that gives the illusion of side swept bangs...if you're not reading for the big cut, there is no reason to get it cut.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My mother- in- law kept nagging me to cut my daughter''s hair very short when she was little, because she swore that her hair would grow in thicker and it would grow faster. Of course, I know better. I just kept her hair trimmed and though her hair is not very thick (it is fine) it looks beautiful and shiny.

I find it funny that her hair does not grow at a fast rate... it takes her almost a year to grow 4-5 inches, while my hair grows almost 1-inch per month. No exaggeration. My hairdresser has even commented on this, but can tell how much my roots are showing after 4 weeks (she measured). I have now been using a demi-permanent dye every 2 weeks or else I''ll go broke getting my roots touched up 26 times per year.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Ditto musey and italia - hair grows from the roots. Breakage is what makes it appear to not grow as fast, but I doubt your baby has breakage problems yet.
1.gif

Tacori - glad you''re not listening to your neighbor and you''re waiting to get her hair cut! She is gorgeous!
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your compliments on my Tessa. Honestly I was not fishing for them!

Italia, thanks for your professional opinion. I was hoping you would chime in. That is basically what I thought but didn''t want to get into a huge debate with my neighbor.

Lovthem, yes, obviously Tessa has yet to blow dry/straight iron/curl her hair so I can''t imagine she has much damage. Haha.

Sounds like this myth is strong and many of us mamas are pressured into the first haircut! We must stay strong!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Don''t cut her bangs if you want them to grow out! I made that mistake when DD was 2. I took her to the fancy schmancy bebe salon and shelled out a lot of cash for a wee trim. I told them to leave her bangs alone. The stylist said she would clean them up a little. She would up with Lloyd bangs (Dumb and Dumber)! After a YEAR of growing them out I could finally pull them back again. The back of Tessa''s hair may need to be evened up with the sides. DD''s hair on top of her ears was shorter than the back giving her the very chic mullet (sp?) look! You can trim it yourself. Baby hair is easy to cut. Just get some good haircutting scissors from a beauty supply.

Have you tried putting the darling Miss Tessa''s bangs back with a hair elastic? I found DD didn''t mess with those as much as a clip.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda, oh no! I would have cried! What type of elastic works best? Clips she just yanks out and tries to eat them
20.gif
I think she is getting a mullet too. Her hair looked perfectly stacked and styled when she was younger but I have been noticing that it is growing at different speeds. I think a bob all one length would look adorable.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
The elastics are made by Goody and Target sells them. They are teeny tiny clear (or colored) rubber band type things. She couldn''t get them out. Argh! DD took out her clip and put it in her mouth while I was driving once! After that experience, no more hair clips until she was old enough to know better!

A little bob would be soooooo cute!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda, she has done that too! Freaks me out. Any tips to get her to sit still so I can put the elastic in?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am honestly really suprised that they sell clips for babies hair. You can''t put a toy on the market without warnings of age restrictions and small pieces etc, it seems ludicrous that companies would sell clips for tiny children. Of course they are going to put them in their mouth if they can grab them. They are just accidents waiting to happen.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 3:49:44 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Miranda, she has done that too! Freaks me out. Any tips to get her to sit still so I can put the elastic in?
Yup. TV. Arm yourself with tangle-free spray, a comb, elastics, and the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results