shape
carat
color
clarity

The Great Haircut Debate!

Does hair grow faster with regular trims?

• No!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have no idea but want to see what everyone else thinks!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am curious what you all think or if any of you know the REAL answer to this question. My neighbor keeps insisting that if I trim DD''s bangs, they will grow faster. I always get confused by that theory b/c hair grows from the roots not the tips. So what is the RIGHT answer? Is this an urban legend or is there truth to it?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, all i know is that when i cut my plants back they grow more.....and my hair seems to behave the same way. i have long hair....and trimming it not only keeps the ends neat and tidy but seems to encourage growth. scientific answer? no. just my experience.

movie zombie

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
How does the root know that the end has been trimmed off??

Erin

Ideal_Rock
IMO - hair grows from the roots. Keeping it trim just keeps it from splitting which may cause you to cut more off - and consequently appears not to grow as fast.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I think that regular trims keep your hair looking healthier so it appears to be longer. I doubt it makes any real difference.

I haven''t trimmed my hair in eight months and it has grown at least six inches during that time. I''m going in for a trim on Wednesday. Hurray!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always hear that but for me and my daughters it grows faster without 6-12 week trims. I normally do 16 weeks between cuts when growing hair.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe when you cut the dry, deadends of the bottom, the rest of your hair will be more healthy, causing it to grow faster???
28.gif

Who knows!? Good topic Tacori!
36.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I don''t believe that regular trims make hair grow faster. I do believe that healthy hair grows stronger, thus decreasing the need for trims and drastic cuts. Healthy hair is also less prone to split ends, dryness and breakage. I think it''s also a catch-22 situation, because the chemical and heat processes that give hair its style and color are also very damaging. The more you alter the natural state of your hair, the more you damage it. If your hair is already damaged, even the most expensive cure-all conditioner can''t save it.

It wasn''t until I left my hair alone and left the coloring to my stylist that it started to grow back. Before, it wouldn''t grow past bra-strap length. It hasn''t been waist-length since high school. I''d have to cut a few inches of damaged ends.

Now, it''s mid-back. It''s the healthiest it''s ever been, even with cappuchino highlights. I only go for highlights 2-3 times a year. I let my hair air-dry. If I use my ceramic straightener, it''s no more than once a week. Good shampoo and conditioner is definitely key!

Trims are only maintenance, no more than half an inch, every few months. Hope this helps!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I think trims definately do help! My hair is fairly long, and if I don''t trim it every so often, the ends break much further up and it ends up not being as healthy, and takes much longer to grow out.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, thanks BR. Guess it is one of those which came first the chicken or the egg questions.

I am just throughly confused. I really want to grow out DD's hair. Her bangs (as seen in my AV) are currently past her eyes but still in the way. It doesn't bother her AT ALL! I try using clips but she takes them out. I figure the worst is over so if I trim them it will be like a step backwards. So I guess I don't know if I should get her first haircut (it is kinda getting shaggy in the back) or let nature do its thing and trim it when it is a little longer (to shape).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 1:29:18 PM
Author: platinumrock
I don''t believe that regular trims make hair grow faster. I do believe that healthy hair grows stronger, thus decreasing the need for trims and drastic cuts. Healthy hair is also less prone to split ends, dryness and breakage. I think it''s also a catch-22 situation, because the chemical and heat processes that give hair its style and color are also very damaging. The more you alter the natural state of your hair, the more you damage it. If your hair is already damaged, even the most expensive cure-all conditioner can''t save it.

It wasn''t until I left my hair alone and left the coloring to my stylist that it started to grow back. Before, it wouldn''t grow past bra-strap length. It hasn''t been waist-length since high school. I''d have to cut a few inches of damaged ends.

Now, it''s mid-back. It''s the healthiest it''s ever been, even with cappuchino highlights. I only go for highlights 2-3 times a year. I let my hair air-dry. If I use my ceramic straightener, it''s no more than once a week. Good shampoo and conditioner is definitely key!

Trims are only maintenance, no more than half an inch, every few months. Hope this helps!

So DD''s hair is obviously still baby hair and undamaged. Should I just leave it then?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
If it doesn''t bother you, and it doesn''t bother her, I would just leave it.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the idea is that regular trims prevent split ends and breakage, which would aid in it being longer. I could be wrong though
5.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
First of all, Tacori, T''s hair is ADORABLE in your av. If it were me, I''d probably let it grow, too :)

I think it''s actually a trick question. Here''s my take: I''ve always heard that regular trims "prevent" split ends, because if you trim regularly, your hair will be stronger. If you get split ends, your hair is brittle and will basically break off, so the breakage will prevent you from seeing additional length. Even though your hair is growing at the same rate, since it''s breaking faster, it won''t get longer (so if that''s growth, then the answer to the Q is yes, but the answer is also no, because your hair is technically growing at the same rate. FWIW, I answered no in the poll).

Because a baby''s hair is so soft and fine, I don''t know if it''s more susceptible to split ends/breakage or if it''s stronger - I''d assume the latter, though. Thus, my guess is that your neighbor is wrong in saying that it will grow faster if you cut it.

All that said, I''m kinda waiting to see what the hair gurus around here say!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 1:38:29 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 1/19/2009 1:29:18 PM
Author: platinumrock

So DD''s hair is obviously still baby hair and undamaged. Should I just leave it then?

Tessa is gorgeous, and so is her hair. Like iluvcarats said, if it doesn''t bother you or her, let it grow. Then again, I''m not a parent, so maybe children''s hair have different requirements. You can keep her bangs trimmed at eye-brow length (it won''t get in her face), but let the rest of it grow.

Here''s an example with Suri Cruise:

suri-loves-idol.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does not make hair grow faster. But it does keep the ends looking nice and avoids split ends.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 1:07:28 PM
Author: swingirl
Say it loud.....
36.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
From many a hair-dresser I''ve asked, regular trims mean nothing to hair growth... just bulges in salons pockets. The myth has to do with the fact that split ends can work their way up the hair, causing the break to give the illusion of shorter hair.

It is good to get the ends cut off as soon as your see them, but they have nothing to do with actual growth from the root.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
tacori- since you are trying to grow out her bangs, I wouldn''t cut them, especially since they don''t seem to bother her. they will be past her eyes in no time and then you can go in for an all one length trim when you and she are ready.

funny story. I was growing out Lily''s hair/bangs for 3 years. she was a baldy forever! I finally got the bangs down to about where Tessa''s are and we were on our way to getting rid of them. She got my older daughters school scissors and cut her bangs
39.gif
. I asked why she did it and she said they just bothered her. We were so close to them being long enough to pull back into the pony tail.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It seems to ONLY bother everyone else. She could care less. I really like the no bang look on little girls. Think it is so cute. Plus I feel like she will care less NOW than when she is older (about having hair in her eyes).

MrsS, you must have been heartbroken! Then again haven''t we all cut our own bangs at one time or another? I know there are pictures of me with VERY crooked bangs b/c I too took matters into my own hands.

platinum, people actually think she looks like Suri (which I totally DO not see!) I do think she has a cute hair cut but I have my heart set on grown out bangs. I don''t see how trims affect the hair growth but it is does I will take her for a trim. She''s lucky b/c she has always had great hair. People always thought I cut it b/c it looked styled. It is only now that it is starting to get uneven in the back.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t cut it, either. I agree with the idea that the roots have no idea what is happening on the ends! Lol! She''ll just need it shaped at some point. I will say that we did bangs when mine were little, though, and grew them out when they were older.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 3:17:25 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
It seems to ONLY bother everyone else. She could care less. I really like the no bang look on little girls. Think it is so cute. Plus I feel like she will care less NOW than when she is older (about having hair in her eyes).

MrsS, you must have been heartbroken! Then again haven''t we all cut our own bangs at one time or another? I know there are pictures of me with VERY crooked bangs b/c I too took matters into my own hands.

platinum, people actually think she looks like Suri (which I totally DO not see!) I do think she has a cute hair cut but I have my heart set on grown out bangs. I don''t see how trims affect the hair growth but it is does I will take her for a trim. She''s lucky b/c she has always had great hair. People always thought I cut it b/c it looked styled. It is only now that it is starting to get uneven in the back.

Tacori, I wasn''t sure how you felt about bangs, but I suggested it more as a convenience (won''t get in her eyes). But I also prefer long, grown-out bangs. I love the side-swept, choppy look on her avatar. How long would you like her hair to grow?

I think Suri is stunning (I hope you take it as a compliment). But Tessa is cuter...Shhh....
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, that is my feeling too (though I didn''t argue with my neighbor). She assumed I didn''t want my baby to grow up (type of attitude) not that I disagreed with her. So I just played along.

platinum, oh thank you! I am not sure how long I want it. Not insane (probably above her shoulders). She is going to be a flower girl at my sister''s wedding so it would be nice for it to be long enough to style. The wedding is in August.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 2:14:22 PM
Author: Steel
Date: 1/19/2009 1:07:28 PM

Author: swingirl

Say it loud.....
36.gif

LOL - agreed
2.gif

I have to say though, if there was a way to get hair to grow slower, I might sign up for that...
20.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
trims for me are about every 3-4 months....in october i took 2 inches off and then again this month....hair is still below my shoulder blades. no bangs. haven''t had them in years. swore when i grew them out....finally....i''d never have them again. don''t miss them. i would NOT trim bangs in an effort to grow them out.

in the past i''ve done 6 trims which worked well for me. going 12 months is too long.

december 7, 2007 i cut my hair which i could just sit on the tips of to about waist length. i found....again....i just don''t enjoy having my hair that long.

perhaps its illusion/dillusion but health happy hair does seem to grow faster.

are you attempting to get her hair more or less one length between now and august?

movie zombie

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tessa is adorable. Maybe get some of those adorable little barrettes and pull them to the side as her bangs get longer.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for bringing this up Tacori - I''ve never given it serious thought...but now I''m starting to think "myth created by hair industry".
Yes, I like conspiracy theories
5.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I had the same dilemma with my now 5 year old daughter when she was 2. I had bangs cut for her first haircut and regretted it. She has stick straight hair and as it grew out it was always in her eyes. It drove my husband batty but it did not bother my daughter at all.

My hairdresser was the one who did the haircut and she knew that I wanted it to grow out. She was the one who told me to not give in and not cut the bangs because i would regret it. She told me that cutting the ends has no effect on what the roots do. An honest hairdresser!

What she did was trim the ends when it started to grow unevenly, and just a tiny tiny bit. And as it started to get longer blended it in with the rest. once it got past her chin, she did a long bob all the same lenth. Her hair is really long now and I am really glad I grew out the bangs. Bangs on kids are so high maintence.

Your daughter is SO cute!

edited to add, I think its kind of funny the theory that the cutting hair makes it grow faster is a hair industry myth to make more money.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori, I see the resemblance more so when Suri was smaller, with the bigger cheeks.

BUT, Tessa is one of the cutest babies I''ve seen!

suri_cruise.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like Tessa''s current rocker chick hair.
2.gif
Seriously though - trims won''t make it grow faster. In adults with massive split ends, it makes hair look healthier, but as previously mentioned, hair grows from the roots.

I''d leave it be - my mom trimmed my sister''s bangs, and she had a heck of a time growing them out later in life. Didn''t make that mistake with me, so I never had to deal with the awkward growing out the bangs phase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results