shape
carat
color
clarity

"The Great Blackout of 2003"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We finally got power on here in Connecticut within the last hour. (It''s just after 3
6.gif
0 am Friday, August 15.) It went off at 4:15 yesterday afternoon. My husband is stuck in his office downtown in New York City, snoozing intermittently at his desk. No subways. No railroads working. No cars allowed into New York City. And still no electricity. No air conditioning. It was 90 degrees here yesterday. I heard Cleveland now has no water as well as no power.

I read that Toronto and Ottawa were affected, but I don''t know if power is restored yet there. Judy? Leonid? Where were *YOU* when the lights went out? When did they go on again?

read.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Last time this happened the hospitals had a rush of babies being born 9 months later.

Seems there was nothing else to do
1.gif

Hope your hubby is behaving himself at the office AGBF
angryfire.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
HI AGBF! I get the feeling that where ever Judy and/or Leonid are, they are not able to read this because of no power! Lights and electricity down are one thing, but NO COMPUTER....now that's grim!

confused.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
i live on the west coast, so please excuse my ignorance, but could this be the reason why GOG has not responded to my inquiries? just a thought..
rolleyes.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, bling-

Jonathan would have been unable to respond to an e-mail sent after 1 pm your time yesterday (Thursday) due to the power outage. I do not know if he is working or on vacation, though. If you have been trying since before yesterday at around noon the reason may be something other than the power outage (such as a vacation).

read.gif

PS-Garry, the people who were trapped in my husband's building spent the night crowded onto designated floors where a fire warden could keep watch since the fire alarms were out. There were, of course, no beds or cots. It was the bare floor or one's chair. If my husband (of 26 years) was able to perform under those conditions, God bless him!! :)

bling

Shiny_Rock
hmm..i sent one yesterday after the time you specified, but before that as well. he is usually very prompt so i was thinking something was up. i dont think they are on vacation since they just returned from one...
rhino..you out there?
wavey.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the big blackout!
12.gif

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Hehehe, funny Richard!

I am in NH - we didn't lose power thankfully! What a crazy thing to happen. GEESH!

Hope to see all you back here safely SOON!

rolleyes.gif

DBOF

Rough_Rock
Robin and Todd at NiceIce are graciously accepting all Rhino's business while he's blacked out.

Heh heh heh...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I`ll be graciously accepting any of R & T `s business while their busy with Rhino`s
1.gif
kidding.

Brad

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Houston's hot as always, on it's own powergrid, so we're up and running and are always pleased to handle the overflow
2.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm game. I'll take one of each. Robin and Todd can send an oval ; LeslieH can send one of the well cut round brilliants she sells; and Jan and Brad can send a Princess cut. It may take me a little while to find my credit card number, though, so don't hold up shipping on that account.

Deb, trying to boost the economy

read.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I feel very fortunate. My biggest complaint is that my golf outing was cancelled today.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 8/15/2003 11:33:34 AM Richard Sherwood wrote:

Robin and Todd at NiceIce are graciously accepting all Rhino's business while he's blacked out.

Heh heh heh...

----------------

I wouldn’t worry too much Richard, The Aussies would never let their mates down, We would ship to USA anyday, Heh heh “what you say Gary”

Wayne

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ohhh wait up Wayne!

We are pretty selective about who we let in down under.
We want to keep it all to ourselves - like the New Zealand sheep farmers.

"We aint share'n our sheep with no one"

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Of all days, I was in Manhattan's diamond district when the power went out. I had just finished my business, thankfully. Then I walked for over an hour to my car. If I had parked in a parking garage I don't know what I would have done because the garage I would have used uses an elevator to move the cars in and out. I was so lucky. Then I picked up 2 sweaty business men (hehe) and drove them over the GW bridge to Joisy. It took me 4 hours to get home instead of 1. I was so lucky though.
twirl.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha... relax ya'll. The Rhino is back in full swing. Bling you should have already recieved a response by now.
1.gif
I wound up camping out at the store last night since our security was down. I brought my telescope and viewed Mars (very close to the earth, it's the largest orangy looking star next to the moon these last few days) and watched DVD's till I z'd off (laptop has a DVD player and batteries last pretty long).

Thank God that didn't last too long. It has delayed some of our deliveries but it looks like nothing will be slowed down no longer than a day or so.

Regards,
Rhino

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Glad to see you back Jonathan!
2.gif

Were you ALONE in this store or was your wife with you??
confused.gif

Damn I knew I should have gone down to Long Island this week!!
naughty.gif

Hehehe...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long were you without power, Jonathan? Here in Connecticut we were out for less than 12 hours. In lower Manhattan (where my husband camped out) it was closer to 24 hours! Does anyone know how Cleveland is doing? Has power been restored there? Things were grim there since their water was affected!

read.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Dancin!

Haha... well my daughter was with me and we watched DVD's on my laptop till we fell asleep. I brought my telescope with me too and got a good look at Mars so we had a bit to do.

Hi AGBF!

We got power back on Long Island sometime between 6-7am. So we were out for around 14-15 hours.

It is good to be back. Gosh ... you never realize how much you need something like electricity until it's been taken away huh?

Rhino

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 8/17/2003 1:44:14 AM Rhino wrote:

"It is good to be back. Gosh ... you never realize how much you need something like electricity until it's been taken away huh?"

I found it was a great education for my ten year old daughter. She had had to write a paper in fifth grade about a natural resource, but the exercise was...uh, purely academic...until the blackout. She knew the lights ran on electricity, but when she asked for an Ovaltine (which we make with warm milk) the reality hit home. Both microwaves *and* electic stoves also run on electricity. She actually alluded to the paper she had written and to books she had read about pioneer days said she just hadn't realized what electricity meant.

read.gif

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
We live up on a mountain on the western side of NJ; we were lucky enough not to be affected by the outage. My husband, however, works on the eart side of NJ close to NYC...the power went out there and didn't come back on until about 5:40 a.m. the next morning. This wouldn't seem like a big deal to most people, but he was stuck at work until after the power came back on. He worked from 8 Thursday morning until 9 friday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results