shape
carat
color
clarity

The Grammar Police Thread

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My current pet peeve is my children using bring and take interchangeably, as opposed to ‘bring’ if an item is moving towards them/somewhere and ‘take’ if the item is moving away.

I have a feeling that American English uses ‘bring’ in either instance, but my children apply neither the British nor the American rules (and ideally they’d stick with our rule;)2)!

Last edited:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
My current pet peeve is my children using bring and take interchangeably, as opposed to ‘bring’ if an item is moving towards them/somewhere and ‘take’ if the item is moving away.

I have a feeling that American English uses ‘bring’ in either instance, but my children apply neither the British nor the American rules (and ideally they’d stick with our rule;)2)!
Proper American English doesn't use bring in either instance, but as this thread reflects, many Americans don't speak proper English.... Even better, I have clients that will say, "I took him a bath two weeks ago", or, "I'll take him a bath next month". One can only "take a bath" for themself, or "give a bath" to someone else. They are not interchangeable people! :errrr: And many don't know the difference between bath and bathe. The ignorance is real....

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Proper American English doesn't use bring in either instance, but as this thread reflects, many Americans don't speak proper English.... Even better, I have clients that will say, "I took him a bath two weeks ago", or, "I'll take him a bath next month". One can only "take a bath" for themself, or "give a bath" to someone else. They are not interchangeable people! :errrr: And many don't know the difference between bath and bathe. The ignorance is real....

If you’d told me thirty years ago when I was trudging through school that I would snort in laughter at a discussion on grammar, I think I’d have disowned my future self!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like a proper geek when I use 'one' instead of 'you' - no-one else seems to use it in general conversation, either spoken or written, and it seems everyone just uses 'you' when they should be referring to people in general rather than any particular individual!

You’re not alone in your use of “one!” :mrgreen2: It does feel very odd using it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re not alone in your use of “one!” :mrgreen2: It does feel very odd using it.

I am sure that when I am speaking with friends casually that I sometimes say "you" instead of "one" while talking about people in general. In my writing I do, usually, use "one", however. Not only do i use "one", but I follow up by using "he", not "they" if I need to extrapolate on something about what "one" said or did. ;)) It feels natural to me to write that way. On the other hand, I am sure that using "you" in casual speech is natural.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure that when I am speaking with friends casually that I sometimes say "you" instead of "one" while talking about people in general. In my writing I do, usually, use "one", however. Not only do i use "one", but I follow up by using "he", not "they" if I need to extrapolate on something about what "one" said or did. ;)) It feels natural to me to write that way. On the other hand, I am sure that using "you" in casual speech is natural.
I agree with these distinctions. I was taught that use of the word "one" is more formal than use of the word "you". I have also found when using these words, either verbally or in written form, that I try to distinguish between if what I am meaning to say is directed at the target directly, or in general. If I am communicating in general terms, I use "one".

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I heard an expert called in for discussion on a news panel misuse "flout". She used "flaunt" when she meant "flout". She said someone (Trump? Barr?) "flaunted" the rules. We all know (I hope) that one flouts the rules if he disregards them but one flaunts his wealth if he makes a show of it. I felt very depressed.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy. First, "prolly" is not a word; it's probably. The difference is 2 freaking letters, you lazy people who think you're being cool and edgy!
"Me and my husband did x". This is like nails on a chalkboard for me.
I "could of" been a contender. Aargh.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How could I have neglected to mention the nearly universal misuse of the word "disinterest"? Its misuse used to be rare and limited to people with limited education, but now very few people use it correctly. People believe that it means lack of interest, when in truth it means impartiality. A disinterested party is one who has no stake in the outcome.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How could I have neglected to mention the nearly universal misuse of the word "disinterest"? Its misuse used to be rare and limited to people with limited education, but now very few people use it correctly. People believe that it means lack of interest, when in truth it means impartiality. A disinterested party is one who has no stake in the outcome.
Ahhhh, I think I have been caught out by that!

*hangs head in shame*

I am guessing that one is 'uninterested' when one has a lack of interest?!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh, I think I have been caught out by that!

*hangs head in shame*

I am guessing that one is 'uninterested' when one has a lack of interest?!

Yes.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo, that is my one thing I will learn today :D lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results