shape
carat
color
clarity

The GOG Cushion Has Landed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
After many months of searching, I finally pulled the trigger on a fabulous cushion from GOG. Thanks to the awesome cushion-lovers on this site and Jon over at GOG, I think I made the most informed purchase of my life! As it should be considering it is one of the most important purchases of my life...

So here are the stats:

Cushion Brilliant
1.24 E SI1
6.60-6.04
54% table
72% depth
8 pavilion mains
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Good
Flouresence - None
Crown height - 23%
Crown angle - 43%

A few thoughts on the stats:

The E color is amazing. It''s icy icy white. I also think warm stones are beautiful, but after seeing this baby I realized I am a confirmed icy white lover.

It''s SI1 but it is eye clean, and that''s all I really care about. I had no interest in paying a premium for something that I cannot see.

The tiny 54% table, combined with the high crown height and crown angle, give the stone a vintage profile look that I really wanted. The pictures I will post really show off this combination of %''s. The 72% depth was more than I wanted, but with cushions I believe something has to give if you ever want to end up actually buying one, so I gave on the depth %. Not even close to being a big deal.

The polish and symmetry ratings didn''t really mean much to me. I judged the stone by how it looked and performed to my eyes, which was excellent.

I had really wanted to find an 8 pavilion main stone but after months of searching for one that met all my other needs I was resigned to possibly going with a 4 pavilion main. In fact, I came close to buying a beautiful 4 pav main from GOG, but ended up going with the 8 pav main. If you are in this dilemma, I would say at least look at some 4 pav mains in person before you decide you have to have an 8.

Finally, I wanted a squarish shape so I was trying to keep the L/W ratio to no more than 1:1.05. I initially rejected this diamond from the get-go as it is about 1:1.09. However, after seeing it in person I was sold. It was every so slightly stretched toward rectangular, but just barely. Again, something had to give, so I gave .04 in L/W. Too many other great things about this one to let it go.

So it''s being set in a vintage Scott Kay platinum setting that should look amazing when complete. My girl loves the vintage look, so this cushion in that setting should be a winner. Of course I will post plenty of pics.

Again, much thanks to the PS cushion hunters who came before me and shared their insight here. Also big thanks to my man Jon at GOG, who really knows his stuff and is a true pleasure to work with. The amount of info he provided was exceptional. And what can I say about the videos? A vendor who shoots videos of diamonds so I can compare them before calling them in? Wha...? Amazing service. Also thanks to Thom Underwood in San Diego for his keen eye and Ryan and Audrey at Harold Stevens Jewelers in San Diego who have provided top-notch customer service regarding the setting.

So now the adventure of trying to attach pics begins....

DSCN2095.jpg

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Here is a profile shot that really shows off the crown height/angle/table combo:

DSCN2120.jpg

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Here is one - just sitting in the temporary "clip" setting from GOG:

DSCN2090.jpg

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
A bit of an optical illusion in this one - the table appears indented - not the case of course...!

DSCN2094.jpg

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Sweet Rock, love the small table and high crown
19.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Good grief, I could take a nice long nap on that pillow!

Gorgeous!!!! Congratulations, that is one sweet stone!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 2:08:46 PM
Author: JoeNewbie11
Sweet Rock, love the small table and high crown
19.gif

Ditto that! i love that cushion! Congrats!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is pretty deep at 72% but I''d bet it''s because so much of it is in the crown height. A wonderful OMC!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It''s stunning! Which Scott Kay setting are you going with?

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Really beautiful!
36.gif
I''d love to know what setting she''s going into also!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, cant wait to see it once it gets set! Pretty stone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You got some beautiful pics there! I love the leaf ones, you can really see the gorgeous profile of the diamond.

That''s going to be one awesome ring. Well done!
36.gif

And don''t forget to post in SMTR when you get it.
5.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 4:41:48 PM
Author: Chrono
It is pretty deep at 72% but I''d bet it''s because so much of it is in the crown height. A wonderful OMC!

That''s what I was going to say. With a really high crown you''ve got to have some depth because they shallow out so easily. I adore this stone!! Congratulations!

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone - I am very excited to get this set and will post pics in SMTR. It has been such a long and mentally exhausting search and I''m now in the home stretch and it feels GREAT.

Great points Chrono and Somethingshiny regarding the depth % - I never thought about the steep crown height factoring in to the depth.

I will see if I can poach a photo of the setting off the Scott Kay website, or at least provide a link.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

High crown--fit for a princess!
30.gif

cheers--Sharon

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone! Absolutely beautiful! Can''t wait to see her in her home and don''t forget the handshots
emwink.gif

3Rocks

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!! Thanks for posting the picture. I''ve been wanting to see a cushion brilliant. Thats one gorgeous stone. Can''t wait to see it set in a setting. Congrats!!!
36.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:31:38 AM
Author: DaCounselor
here ya go...
Beautiful antique looking ring and a good compliment to the stone.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
A modern antique, for sure! Bravo, it''s magnificent!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2009 12:31:38 AM
Author: DaCounselor
here ya go...
more please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results