shape
carat
color
clarity

The final decision.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shata Rock Hunt

Rough_Rock
I gotta say, I this web site has helped me A LOT. It has come down to two stones...and I can''t decide. They are both Round Brilliant going into a 6 prong tiffany style setting (not included in price). Please give me some advice, I am going diamond nuts and need to get this purchase DONE. I requested "Ideal cut" diamonds only.

This is the info I have:
STONE 1: LOCAL JEWELER
1.22 Carats
6.92-6.99 x 4.21mm
E, VS1
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish & Sym: Very Good
No Fluor.
$8500

STONE 2: OUT OF STATE JEWELER (reccomended by good client of my company)
1.23 Carats
6.82-6.87 x 4.26
E, VS2
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Very Thin to Slightly thick (faceted)
Culet: None
Polish & Symetry: Very Good
No Fluor.
$8300

Note: I have a copy of both GIA certs, the VS2 stone looks like it has less inclusions!?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You can't get a Sarin on these, can you? Just from the limited info I have, I'd pick #1.

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
I guess my perspective would be to go with the one you have seen and touched in person. I have found some seemingly nice diamonds online as well, through referral and otherwise and always keep coming back to my jeweler and wanting to go forward with a diamond I can see, touch, etc. See if your local jeweler can find a diamond of similar specs to the second one if you are set on that one? Give them the right of first refusal. Also see if maybe they will come down more on their price to earn your business.

As far as the one out of State... Find out if you can buy it, have them send it to you, you can see it, get it independently appraised and if you decide it's not what you expected/hoped for, return it... But find out what the return policy is... If they are convinced you will love the diamond, maybe they will offer you a 7 day look with no questions asked return and maybe they will even pick up the shipping, etc if you do return it? I don't know... I'm in sales and keep thinking about making them do everything they can to earn your business.

Shata Rock Hunt

Rough_Rock
I am going to see the out of state diamond tomorrow...I also need to see and touch the diamond. I just wanted to see if I could get a heads up before I head on down to the other state. The local jeweler claims he has only a 10% markup on loose diamonds (he stated this VERY early on) I think to stop any "bargaining" before it started. The diamonds are very close in price and quality...it is the damn girdle thats got me stumped
twirl.gif

Hest, I don't know if I can get a sarin on these stones.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With just the information you gave us, I'd go with #1. The table/Depth is better on it than the 2nd, not to mention the overall dimensions are larger. Also, the girdle on the 2nd is thicker. Dont be too worried about the thin to medium on the 1st.

Judy
:)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely #1 in my opinion from the limited data given.

The diameter and depth are inline with what a 1.23c should be as opposed to the second stone which has a noticeably smaller diameter and more depth for the same carat weight. That means you are paying for the same carat weight, but the first stone will SHOW the extra carat weight as in looking bigger to the eye, while the second stone has the extra depth carried in its pavilion, where no one can see it!

The girdle is also better on #1 as the others have noted.

I like VS1 better than VS2..even if the plot looks like it has more inclusions, with a GIA cert that is not possible.
1.gif
Ask to see the inclusions at magnification and then try to pick them out with your eye. The VS1 should win hands down.

But if you can get Sarin data, definitely do it. It will help immensely and could be the make or break once you plug the info into the HCA.

If one speaks to you more than the other, that may be your decision right there. Best of luck!

Shata Rock Hunt

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the info! I have to say I saw the actual GIA for the VS1 diamond, I only have the faxed copy for the VS2
loopy.gif
Thanks for the input on the dimensions, that is where I was completely lost. Does the price look good? I am glad I took the time to register on this site! Based on what i have seen (w/ out the sarin data) #1 is winning....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results