shape
carat
color
clarity

The Evolution of (YOUR) Style

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, I’ll start. :mrgreen2: But I really hope you’ll play along!

I was cleaning my rings this morning when I thought about my preferences over the years. With the exception of my wedding set from my late husband, it’s mainly been towards more of a vintage feel. I broke them down to B.P. and A.P.

1 - This one is an heirloom from my grandmother and one of my favorite pieces. Because it was inherited, I am excluding it from it being a chosen piece.

B.P. (Before PriceScope)
2 - Wedding set from late husband (Saving this for our daughter)
3 - My first and only princess
4 - Original MRB from current husband reset as a RHR

A.P. (After PriceScope)
5 - Lucy; My first OEC and my first True Love when it comes to diamonds
6 - Eleanor; My first super ideal and my current engagement ring
7 - Celeste; My dainty little dynamite RHR

06B64845-9F88-49C4-B4A7-591C7FF7B862.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I’ll play.

I don’t have a large collection of my own (yet ;-) ).
The majority of the diamond jewelry I own, I inherited. All of the pieces contain Old European Cut Diamonds that date back to the late 1800’s-early 1900’s.
Two ER’s were set in simple, YG thin solitaires. Not me...AT ALL. I learned that, very quickly!
The others were set more intricately, in Art Deco designs that REALLY speak to me.
My grandmother always wore a plain, YG band, every day. When we went out for large family dinners, she took her original wedding set out, to set the town on fire with her beautiful diamonds! This set always caught my eye, as a small child. I always admired the style & the white gold/platinum look. Her set was totally me!
When I inherited my Great Aunt Katie’s Shield ring, I was 15. My mother locked it away until I was in my 30’s, when I asked her to give it to me for my birthday. The shield ring & my grandmother’s wedding set became the inspiration for my current set.
However, I’m not a round cut person. I love OEC’s, but step cuts speak to me; research & education of step cut diamonds started in my mid to late 20’s. My dream: Emerald Cut Diamonds.
Here is a collage of my grandmother’s set, the shield ring and my wedding set, all together.
I believe they each have their own personalities, but stay within the same cohesive style: Art Deco.
EE7CC9B8-C6E7-422A-9A63-A749B8F42B3D.jpeg

Some photos I took of DH’s ring with mine, with the pocket watch circa 1925, and the jewelry I wore on our wedding day.
B626ADCA-37CF-4B59-A448-5D5A31B693A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have many pics of what I used to own, I've sold almost all of it! Biggest lessons I've learned is that I really do not generally like prongs! I prefer things a little more "fancy" and a milgrain bezel situation does it for me every time! I LOVE it when step cuts are mixed up with brilliant cuts and metals develop a patina vs. a shiny polish (my Cartier Trinity is a perfect example, I love that it looks "soft" after years of rolling).

I completely appreciate modern and sleek designs (Sholdt semi bezel) but, they're just not for me!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok. I’ll play.

I don’t have a large collection of my own (yet ;-) ).
The majority of the diamond jewelry I own, I inherited. All of the pieces contain Old European Cut Diamonds that date back to the late 1800’s-early 1900’s.
Two ER’s were set in simple, YG thin solitaires. Not me...AT ALL. I learned that, very quickly!
The others were set more intricately, in Art Deco designs that REALLY speak to me.
My grandmother always wore a plain, YG band, every day. When we went out for large family dinners, she took her original wedding set out, to set the town on fire with her beautiful diamonds! This set always caught my eye, as a small child. I always admired the style & the white gold/platinum look. Her set was totally me!
When I inherited my Great Aunt Katie’s Shield ring, I was 15. My mother locked it away until I was in my 30’s, when I asked her to give it to me for my birthday. The shield ring & my grandmother’s wedding set became the inspiration for my current set.
However, I’m not a round cut person. I love OEC’s, but step cuts speak to me; research & education of step cut diamonds started in my mid to late 20’s. My dream: Emerald Cut Diamonds.
Here is a collage of my grandmother’s set, the shield ring and my wedding set, all together.
I believe they each have their own personalities, but stay within the same cohesive style: Art Deco.
EE7CC9B8-C6E7-422A-9A63-A749B8F42B3D.jpeg

Some photos I took of DH’s ring with mine, with the pocket watch circa 1925, and the jewelry I wore on our wedding day.
B626ADCA-37CF-4B59-A448-5D5A31B693A6.jpeg

Yay! Thanks for playing!!

And such beautiful and classic pieces. :love: How awesome that you have pieces of your family history and especially with your personal memories of them from before they were passed down to you.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have many pics of what I used to own, I've sold almost all of it! Biggest lessons I've learned is that I really do not generally like prongs! I prefer things a little more "fancy" and a milgrain bezel situation does it for me every time! I LOVE it when step cuts are mixed up with brilliant cuts and metals develop a patina vs. a shiny polish (my Cartier Trinity is a perfect example, I love that it looks "soft" after years of rolling).

I completely appreciate modern and sleek designs (Sholdt semi bezel) but, they're just not for me!
I feel ya. What’s in the pic is everything I have now. I recently sold several pieces that I purchased over 20 years ago.

My next piece will be bezel set. It’s just a dream for now. But one day....

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Thanks for playing!!

And such beautiful and classic pieces. :love: How awesome that you have pieces of your family history and especially with your personal memories of them from before they were passed down to you.

It is very special to have those memories, and to have such timeless pieces. My Great-Grandmother was my mother’s BFF. She passed away before I was born, and my mother named me after her. I have her original ER (my great-grandfather gave her a larger stone, later in life). Her ring is one of the YG Solis. My mother made me promise never to change anything about it. I begged her to let me at least dip it into WG, as I’m not a fan of YG on me, and I’d like to wear it. She wasn’t having it. So, locked away, it is. It’s sad. However, once my mother’s time on Earth has ended, and she has crossed over, I will keep that ring for my daughter. At the time it is passed on, I will not obligate her to leave it the way it is, if it does not fit her style; I want it to be worn and appreciated. The stone is to stay in the family in whatever capacity she sees fit. It’s an amazingly cut OEC at 0.30+ct!! The fire that flies off of that stone is RIDICULOUS! My Great-Grandfather was a very wealthy man, and could afford a larger stone, but he loved the beauty & the cut of that one, which is why he proposed with it. His colleagues tortured him over its tiny size, so he got her a larger stone just to shut them up...lol! My mother inherited the small stone, and my GGM kept the larger one. No one knows where the larger stone is. It is possible she was buried with it on her hand.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FC3FD6F1-A7B3-4B58-8E5D-59C33A9EA5A5.jpeg Great thread! There weren’t big jewelry wearers in my family. My mother never had a diamond, she wore just a wide gold band. She also had a terrible nickel allergy and I think that prevented her from much jewelry. That and not having the money for it. No big jewelry people in other generations, either.

I’m in my mid-40s and have only started to appreciate jewelry in the past few years. It makes me look more put together for work, I think, plus I think there is something to the idea that ladies like sparkly things as we get older! I don’t have pierced ears and don’t like like to bracelets (I wish I did) so it’s rings and necklaces for me. Most of my necklaces are costume with a couple of good ones thrown in.

When I was cleaning my rings a few weeks ago, I took this shot (not great, I realize). While I’m very drawn to ornate pieces, I’d say that I purchase very classic items. This shot shows costume stuff, too, so it’s not all fine jewelry. I’ve also learned that while I like a good diamond (I’m fine with small MRB but larger and otherwise I prefer OEC), I also really enjoy colored stones and would rather grow that collection. And I much prefer yellow gold and always have even though I have a mixture of metals. And I tend to wear the rings with smaller carat weights.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey, you've got step cuts in #2 and #3! Gotta take credit for baguettes!!!!;)2
You’re right! ;)2 So that’s...

MRB... check
Princess... check
Cushion... check
OEC... check
Baguette... check
Pear... check (currently on consignment)
French cut.... soft check (being set in my Millie band, due September)

I guess that leaves oval, emerald, radiant, Asscher, and marquise, right? I have owned two ovals and a marquise in the past. So really it’s just the step cuts that I haven’t ventured out to... yet.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FC3FD6F1-A7B3-4B58-8E5D-59C33A9EA5A5.jpeg Great thread! There weren’t big jewelry wearers in my family. My mother never had a diamond, she wore just a wide gold band. She also had a terrible nickel allergy and I think that prevented her from much jewelry. That and not having the money for it. No big jewelry people in other generations, either.

I’m in my mid-40s and have only started to appreciate jewelry in the past few years. It makes me look more put together for work, I think, plus I think there is something to the idea that ladies like sparkly things as we get older! I don’t have pierced ears and don’t like like to bracelets (I wish I did) so it’s rings and necklaces for me. Most of my necklaces are costume with a couple of good ones thrown in.

When I was cleaning my rings a few weeks ago, I took this shot (not great, I realize). While I’m very drawn to ornate pieces, I’d say that I purchase very classic items. This shot shows costume stuff, too, so it’s not all fine jewelry. I’ve also learned that while I like a good diamond (I’m fine with small MRB but larger and otherwise I prefer OEC), I also really enjoy colored stones and would rather grow that collection. And I much prefer yellow gold and always have even though I have a mixture of metals. And I tend to wear the rings with smaller carat weights.

So colorful and playful! :love: You must really enjoy that wonderful variety.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I have always loved vintage jewelry, art deco especially. When my husband and I first got engaged (early 90's) we went ring shopping together. We went into a little jewelry store near his parents house . At that time yellow gold and tiffany solitaires were the "in" wedding sets. But at that store, I tried on an antique oval, with filigree and milgrain, all white gold . I loved it. But, being 20 something, I listened when the jeweler said : "Oh, you don't want that old fashioned thing".
Ended up with the yellow gold band and yellow gold tiffany.
I've been through a few "upgrades/changes", but I know now my heart belongs to art deco, OECs and bezels. And white metal!
I wonder though, if I'd gotten that "old fashioned" ring I really wanted then, if I would have been through so many "new sets"...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok a pic of what I wear (some of which is listed on LT). 20180730_074928.jpg

The white gold bangle, very first ring (Marquise shaped), and the Ashley ring (hello 90's) were all gifts from my Mom during my teen years. Everything else was purchased by me over the last 12 years. I still love some simple gold pieces (bought the bangle and the turquoise recently) but I only wear them in summer when I'm tan. Other than that it's mostly a bezel or antique vibe for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I've been pretty consistent with style in that so far, I have always had a round solitaire for my e-ring. But I do intend to reset the AVR into a more antique style setting, eventually. I am pretty much classic or antique style for my jewelry in general.

Here is my original 1 ct e-ring with yg shank, a diamond the size of my first upgrade to 1.6 cts ideal cut round, and then the 2.29 AVR. I've worn all of these with a diamond wedding band.

2015-12-19 16.16.29.jpg

My Beaudry rings from Pearlman's:

BeaudryRingCollection.jpg

My latest rings from CVB:

IMG_3745.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I've been pretty consistent with style in that so far, I have always had a round solitaire for my e-ring. But I do intend to reset the AVR into a more antique style setting, eventually. I am pretty much classic or antique style for my jewelry in general.

Here is my original 1 ct e-ring with yg shank, a diamond the size of my first upgrade to 1.6 cts ideal cut round, and then the 2.29 AVR. I've worn all of these with a diamond wedding band.

2015-12-19 16.16.29.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

Seriously, how do you decide/rotate what you wear? I am planning on an upgrade for my ER but I really don't want to part with my ER, yet at the same I have a hard time justifying keeping it. What do you do?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many lovey jewelry collections!!!:love:
I wanna play but dont have nearly a collection as you PS veterans. I can only dream:love: . Its such a blessing to have gorgeous gems passed on through generations.
I have bought and sold so many custom pieces over the years. I have learned my tastes are simple and kinda modern, traditional. I don't have a large collection by any means and tend to wear the same pieces often. Its funny DH has told me i would have a lovely collection if I didnt sell my all of my pieces. :|:think::wall:
I favor the look of RB for my personal taste, though I see the beauty in old world cuts. They are exquisite!
I have a 3 stone ER and eternity wedding band for left had. I have right hand ring (birthstone), pear pendant and earrings for each hole (two holes). In the future I could see myself looking into a couple of diamond bracelets. PS did help me find my personal traditional style. :) A costly lesson indeed! Lol!

Last edited:

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock

2015-12-19 16.16.29.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg
What a treat to get to see your beautiful collection! Some of my all time favorites here on PS!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've always had a love for gems and jewelry, all the way back to childhood when I collected the "sparkly" rocks, then rough gemstones, then finally jewelry when I got my first job in my teenage years.

I've always loved rose gold, even before it was popular, we're talking circa the 1990's. But jewellers didn't carry it commonly, so I gravitated towards mixed metals, never really favoring white or yellow.

My mother and grandmother enjoyed jewelry, but not to the extent of us PS'rs ;)2
None of my friends cared. I looked for books on jewelry always browsed the "maul" stores, but struggled to find much knowledge beyond the 4 C's, or styles. So when I stumbled across PS around 2007, my mind was blown to find so many people who shared my same passion. (Literally mind blown, I saved my favorite rings, printed them out and made scrap books. I'm not joking, I was obsessed, and yes I still have the scrapbooks in a box somewhere LOL) IMG_20180730_155824.jpg

I've always gravitated toward the more ornate/antique/floral themes. I love unique cuts and styles.

My only problem has always been low spending power, and being impulsive on my purchases, and never finding the "right" forever pieces. So I bought and sold a TON of jewelry, we're talking at least 50 pieces.

The longer I was on PS the more I'd see custom pieces. I wished I could get custom work done to really fit what I was searching for. When I finally reached out to a jeweler about creating my first custom piece, I was shocked at how affordable it was, always assuming it was much more expensive to do custom.

Once that door was opened I finally was able to have my "just right" forever jewelry made.

This is currently my entire collection. Much much smaller, but ten times more meaningful. Eventually when funds allow it, my dream would be to own anything with an AVC over 1ct, as I've never owned anything over 1/2ct center stone. But for now I'm happy. =)2

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t get into jewelry until my 40s. I lean toward classic styles, single diamond stud earrings, single diamond pendant, tennis bracelet. These are forever pieces that I will never change. My ering went from MRB solitaire to vintage-ish setting with an OEC. I have a few bands. If I want to change things up, I will wear some Cartier or VCA pieces. I am not much of a collector as it really bugs me to own pieces that I won’t reach for. But I think someday I may succumb to an antique step cut as an alternative e-ring.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll play!

Before PS I had a little under 3/4 carat princess cut in 18k yellow with a princess and baguette half eternity (pointer finger)

I read a lot on the forum and upgraded to a 1 carat G VVS2 princess cut in platinum with bead set diamonds on the sides and a matching band (sold this one)

From there I got my Julia B pink sapphire ring (pink sapphire 5.25mm from MC Portuguese cut) in her Daisy setting in white gold, then moved on to my Yvonne Raley almost one carat oval Mahenge spinel in her scalloped setting in silver then to an Art Deco set in platinum with 1/2 carat pink sapphire and single cut diamonds on the sides. (Middle bottom to top)

Ring Finger top to bottom-Missed the diamonds so bought my first old cut, an old mine around .40 carats in white gold, it needed a band so I found an antique Lohengrin eternity with single cut diamonds in 18k white gold. Then I wanted more presence and thought I would try a moissanite OEC 1.5 carat in brushed rose gold, it needed a band so I bought a vintage Lohengrin yellow gold knife edge band in yellow gold. Then I found my current favorite a vintage 1940's early round cut diamond band in white gold which is the only ring that currently fits :sick:

IMG_8670.JPG

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad y’all are playing with me. :mrgreen2:

It’s really cool to see how we have all had our style impacted and refined by our time on PS. There are some absolutely stunning pieces here. I’m gonna look at them all again... and again... and... :love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot about my latest acquisition, this is a 14kt 1/3 carat OEC in an Art Deco setting.

IMG_8203.JPG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot about my latest acquisition, this is a 14kt 1/3 carat OEC in an Art Deco setting.

IMG_8203.JPG

So beautiful!!! I just love this style!! I swear, I was born in the wrong era!!! :mrgreen2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks @Matthews1127, everytime I see your EC on PS it makes me want a step cut. That is one beautiful ring! Those are some beautiful pieces you inherited as well :kiss2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks @Matthews1127, everytime I see your EC on PS it makes me want a step cut. That is one beautiful ring! Those are some beautiful pieces you inherited as well :kiss2:

Thank you!! It’s amazing that my grandmother was not a jewelry person, but her wedding set is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen!!
I count myself very lucky to have been given such beautiful pieces that mean so much.
I must say that all diamonds are beautiful but have always had a soft spot for step cuts!! Old, vintage cuts are also among my favorites!! It’s great to see these styles being more appreciated!!
If you ever decide that you want to purchase a step cut stone just let me know; I’d be happy to help you find your “unicorn“! :mrgreen2::kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all wowza:kiss2: What amazing diamonds and settings and jewelry y'all have posted. Pricescopers have the very best in bling and this is truly bling heaven.:halo:

Before PS: very little bling. Just what my parents bought me in the 70s-mainly yellow gold earrings and rings and necklaces (none of which I really wore on any regular basis) and what my dh (boyfriend at the time) bought me while we were dating. White gold bracelets and necklaces and some earrings. Again I rarely wore any bling. Never was a jewelry wearer. No photos of bling sadly from this time.

But then we got engaged and I started becoming bling obsessed with diamonds and settings. I quickly realized the ring my dh proposed with did not fit my aesthetic. Didn't know why or what I was looking for but I started searching to reset the original ER (before we got married haha) but I was not computer literate and had never used one at the time so I was limited in my search and reset options. We did my first (very pricey and stupid ) reset with a local jeweler. Hated the ring still. My (very patient) dh searched online and found Pricescope and helped me become computer literate and I got my first (IBM PC) computer woohoo and voila. Pricescope became my new daily passion.

After (and still on) Pricescope: I finally found my aesthetic. Old Cut diamonds are for me where it is at and I upgraded from my modern RB to an OEC and reset into an antique platinum solitaire setting and am happy.
Stay tuned as there might be some changes on the way...one's style is always evolving after all.:whistle:

beainjewelrybox.jpg.png

and just an example of my earring aesthetic...romantic chunky dangles are my fave.

chunkypeardanglesfromlang.jpg

Please keep posting and as we like to say here-
457492dro0rb016c.gif

1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, how do you decide/rotate what you wear? I am planning on an upgrade for my ER but I really don't want to part with my ER, yet at the same I have a hard time justifying keeping it. What do you do?

I mostly wear my AVR ring on a daily basis. The others get worn occasionally. Some I can wear on my right hand, too. I justify having them because I have two daughters and 2 granddaughters! Otherwise I doubt I'd keep this many diamond rings!

What a treat to get to see your beautiful collection! Some of my all time favorites here on PS!

Thank you so much! I sincerely appreciate your kind words!

@diamondseeker2006 your collection has always been one of my favorites!

Aww, thank you so much, RissaLou!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results