shape
carat
color
clarity

the ever recurring question: J in platinum (or mixed metal)?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all!

I know this question has been asked over and over, but I have a slightly different take on it and would really appreciate some input! (or maybe a link to where this has already been discussed)

I will have my J color cushion reset (as soon as I decide on a setting..!!). It's currently set in a 18 k red/rose ring and I don't like how the gold is reflected in the diamond looking at it from an angle. (should have listened to diamondseeker's advice in someone else's thread.) And so now I am considering:

1. red/rose gold band with platinum head, or
2. All platinum.

I would love to hear what you would do considering the J... Is it a good idea to put it in a setting with mixed metals or will this actually show the color more than in a plat setting?

Decisions decisions... Just a note, the reset is not simply to change the metal, I will change the whole ring. I am not changing the diamond. :))

Thanks for any advice!
And I hope you are all having happy holidays!
//aca :wavey:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: the ever recurring question: J in platinum (or mixed met

Aca,

You will, no doubt, get a range of personal opinions in response to your question. Light performance in a well-cut round is a bit more predictable than a cushion, so - ultimately - I suspect your experience with the specific diamond will be your most valuable resource.

But, since you asked for links, here's an oldie but a goodie... This is a long thread on J colored diamonds in platinum settings (it is almost exclusively rounds) but I think is a great resource for how the J can look in platinum in a variety of settings and lighting conditions.

Best!

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/j-color-stones-in-platinum-t24731-240.html

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Great, thanks!! And yes, so true, I have had a RB in a yellow gold setting with no issues at all and didn't expect this when I had my cushion set. No problem really since I am changing the setting anyway, but it's hard to decide what to do... :think:

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

The J color thread while well intentioned is a bit misleading. I doubt any of the pics are calibrated and gray scale balanced so trying to ascertain the whiteness of various J is problematic.

A platinum setting could help but it will come down to how your cushion performs. you mention you notice color when at an angle but a pic might help better illustrate where you are seeing color. It's possible that metal color and setting could help with the perceived color.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it may somewhat depend on the setting and how big an issue this is to you. If its a big issue then I think it's a no brainer to
just stick with all platinum. I agree that some pictures of what you are seeing would also help. I would hate for you to switch to
a rose gold shank with a plat head and still not be happy.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

(Edited)

Thanks for your replies!

It's really hard for me to take a picture of this because it's so small, but I will try. :)) The thing is that the cushion has a very tall (and lovely) crown and this means that on some small areas in the crown I can actually see through the crown, looking at the diamond from the side. Or rather, I see a reflection in some of the facets from the side of the crown from the setting. I am pretty sure it's a reflection because I also see other things reflected that I put behind the diamond.

I think what I need is some advice if it makes any difference to put the J in an all platinum setting or in a setting with mixed metals (rg band, plat head)... As I am writing this I'm starting to think it may be better to choose all platinum for a more clean look...

I agree, the J/platinum thread is tricky as it's hard to see color in pictures...

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Always true - hopefully there are opinions and observations expressed along the way in that thread that help you.

I like that you are very familiar with your diamond and I am sure you will make a great choice.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I honestly don't think a rose gold band is going to affect the color of how the stone will look in a platinum setting (head). It is more of a preference for how you want the overall look to be. As far as j in platinum, I don't have experience whether it will make your stone look more or less tinted. i put my j round in a 18K unplated white gold setting and am happy with how that looks. I have at least in pictures seen J's that look more or less tinted, so it does seem to be somewhat individual, both the stone and how sensitive people are to the tint.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a J colored AVC set in an all platinum halo. I don't notice much tint unless I look at it from an angle/profile view. My personal preference is for the entire ring to be in the same metal.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have a J color AVR in platinum. I used to have a F color in platinum, which looked steely gray face up to me, but colorless from the side.

I barely notice the tint from the side in the J AVR and I have a fairly open 4 prong custom setting.

As for mixed metals, I'm with m-2-b. I wouldn't do a mixed metal either. I prefer my metal to be one color for an e-ring.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Maybe it's because I came of age in the yellow gold era. But I think all of these new rings in YG or RG with head the same color as shanks look odd. I see nothing peculiar about a platinum or white gold head paired with a YG or RG shank.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Diamond_Hawk|1451172451|3966560 said:

Always true - hopefully there are opinions and observations expressed along the way in that thread that help you.

I like that you are very familiar with your diamond and I am sure you will make a great choice.

Thanks!! :wavey:
I have been reading through that thread and it is very helpful!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you all for your views! It's very helpful. And you are absolutely right, I have to decide myself how I want the overall look.

I think tyty333 is onto why I am having such a hard time deciding... I simply don't want to change the setting and be unhappy about it again. I'm having a hard time letting go of the rg, but somewhere in my mind I am just not sure if rg (with plat head) is going to look nice. Not sure I like the mixed metals! I have a very small solitaire in rg with white gold head and the head is rather steely in a way that doesn't mix very well with the rg. Maybe this is the real issue for me rather than the tint of the diamond. :o

Perhaps I should write a list of pros and cons to be able to decide... :saint:

I agree AdaBeta27, a white head on a yg/rg shank is probably more traditional than all yg/rg! It certainly makes more sense to make the prongs less visible. I like the soft look of all rg and preferred it for my round diamond... but I don't like it with my cushion. :think:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi aca - here's my I colored stone in a mixed metal setting. Keep in mind this is taken on a bright white paper background - so any tint will be as noticeable as possible; in real life I find it difficult to see any tint whatsoever. I moved to the I after owning a K colored stone; that had too much color for me - though mainly from above, to be honest. My K was in an all yellow gold setting with white prongs. Anyway, this is a RB and I know yours is a cushion, but I LOVE the mixed metals and feel it gives me the best of both worlds.

ETA I don't feel that my diamond picks up any color from the shank at all, so don't feel that having a yellow gold shank is a factor in how white or otherwise my stone appears. Good luck with your decision making!

img_10255.jpg

img_10256.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

mrs-blop said:
Hi aca - here's my I colored stone in a mixed metal setting. Keep in mind this is taken on a bright white paper background - so any tint will be as noticeable as possible; in real life I find it difficult to see any tint whatsoever. I moved to the I after owning a K colored stone; that had too much color for me - though mainly from above, to be honest. My K was in an all yellow gold setting with white prongs. Anyway, this is a RB and I know yours is a cushion, but I LOVE the mixed metals and feel it gives me the best of both worlds.

ETA I don't feel that my diamond picks up any color from the shank at all, so don't feel that having a yellow gold shank is a factor in how white or otherwise my stone appears. Good luck with your decision making!

Wow!! Your ring is absolutely gorgeous! :love: :love: This is the reason why I am having such a hard time deciding!!

Thanks for your advice! I don't think the white head looks steely at all on your ring. Is it maybe platinum? Do you have any thoughts on that..?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is what I mean re reflection in the crown. BUT I must say that I never see it this much, it doesn't look all that bad IRL! It needs to be tilted in a certain way in order for you to see it. I think it is easy to photograph though! ;-) I think it will show much less in a white metal head... And I think the reflection comes from the horizontal bars, but I guess it doesn't matter where it comes from though.

And here simply to show without the reflection:

Loving the stone, not the setting. :((

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, the head on my ring is platinum, and I really like it! I think it's also elegant and beautiful, which doesn't hurt, of course! :)

As for thoughts - here's one; have you thought about having the head rhodium plated and your stone reset - just to see if that makes a difference? Sort of a 'try before you buy' situation. Alternately, have you thought about having just a new head made and placed in your existing shank? I don't know where you live, aca, but if per chance you are in the US, I think you could have the head of your ring remade by David Klass in LA (who made both the rings in my photos) for a few hundred dollars, which might be more palatable that a full re-set if you're not 100% which direction you'd like to head.

Alternately, if you're considering a halo, Caysie Van Bebber has a number of designs showing examples of white gold or platinum halos on yellow gold shanks, and they're very beautiful. While she's not a designer I'd work with personally (Just because I put all my work through DK), her photos give some great examples of that mixed metal look using halos.

Just some ideas that might help. Good luck in your decision - picking settings is tough!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aca - I just wanted to add one last photo....

I did *this* to my ring; had a small diamond placed in the donut. I was conscious that, if I wanted the diamond to pick up any color at all...I wanted it to be another diamond! So, directly beneath my main diamond is the tiny diamond in the donut. Whether it helps or not, I have no idea. But I really like the thought of it. :)

ETA In case you notice a small, fuzzy little dot in the back of the ring in the shank, I had a tiny diamond placed there also. Doesn't help anything to speak of - just my general enjoyment. I had a small star burst engraved around it. Just for fun. :)

img_10258.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aca -

I wanted to add also that I actually love your set. I do think a white metal head would be better - for interest sake as much as anything - But I LOVE your asscher band, and I also love the way it sits with your wedding ring. It's a very even, smooth look - very balanced, which I think is one of the hardest things to achieve in jewelry. I think your AVC setting goes with it beautifully and I think with a white metal head and some refinement of the claws it would be an elegant, sleek looking combo.

So I just wanted to encourage you to make the final tweaks to get something you wholly love - you have a couple of great pieces there, and a beautiful stone with which to work; if you can get that head worked out, I think you'll be all the way there!

Hoping you can find what makes you truly happy on this. :wavey:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oh thank you mrs-blop for your kind words and encouragement! You made my day! It really means a lot coming from you because I think you have such a great taste and gorgeous jewelry. :appl: :wavey:

I really like your idea with a small diamond under the culet. If not for anything else but that it's a fun thing to do! I have thought about this before after seeing Haven's gorgeous ring in jewel of the week some time ago. She had put a yellow (I think) diamond there to enhance the tint of the diamond. Why not put a white one instead to "enhance" the white..! I once considered putting a blue one underneath for the fun of it... until I saw the price tag of that tiny tiny melee... ;-)

Thank you for your advice re "try before you buy"! I like your idea to rhodium plate the head...

Sorry to say I'm not in the US and even more sorry to say that I have had bad luck finding great jewelers here where I live. I read a thread about a pricescoper who had a setting made in the US and then sent to her jeweler in Europe to have her diamond set in it. I still hope to find a nice jeweler here though. We'll see.

Thanks again for your thoughts!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the shank color won't matter. I would set all diamonds in white metal prongs with the exception of low color or fancy yellow stones that need a yg bezel to enhance the yellow color (I think you may already know that since you said you saw me say it in another thread). The prongs are to be as invisible as possible to allow the diamond to be the star. Rose gold goes in and out of style, but I think platinum works well all the time. On the other hand, with antique style stones, I do think rose gold is pretty. So as you know, only you can decide. For me, I'd choose all platinum for the e-ring and get an engraved rose gold band to wear between the e-ring and diamond wedding band like Yenny does when I have a desire for some rose gold!

_35828.jpg

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

It does matter where it comes from as you can then try and minimize it. Certainly looks like it's reflecting the setting so going for a platinum head should help. Do you have an ASET as it might indicate what its picking up.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1451267886|3967072 said:
I think the shank color won't matter. I would set all diamonds in white metal prongs with the exception of low color or fancy yellow stones that need a yg bezel to enhance the yellow color (I think you may already know that since you said you saw me say it in another thread). The prongs are to be as invisible as possible to allow the diamond to be the star. Rose gold goes in and out of style, but I think platinum works well all the time. On the other hand, with antique style stones, I do think rose gold is pretty. So as you know, only you can decide. For me, I'd choose all platinum for the e-ring and get an engraved rose gold band to wear between the e-ring and diamond wedding band like Yenny does when I have a desire for some rose gold!

Thank you for your advice, as always very helpful! I was hoping you would chime in. :wavey:

I agree with you re white metal prongs. I actually thought that I have a low colored stone. :oops: I have read somewhere that yg settings "hides" color, but personally feel that it's rather the opposite in my case, just like you are saying. Still learning... :)

In all honesty I wrote rose gold only to make it easier for you to understand what color of metal I am considering. In my country we have a tradition of using red gold, which is a mix between rose and yellow gold. It is rather like your yellow gold in that it is a color that is kind of "standard" next to white gold/platinum. We don't use yellow gold. Yes, true rose gold does go in and out if fashion and I have seen some here too... I think white metal is the most common in new rings and the color most in fashion here now and platinum is always a safe choice.

Yenny's set is so pretty!

Decisions decisions.... I think mrs-blop has helped me see what I want, I will probably keep the rg (edited to add: with plat head!)

I am happy to hear that not one of you think the color of the band will matter...

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

solgen|1451272074|3967107 said:
It does matter where it comes from as you can then try and minimize it. Certainly looks like it's reflecting the setting so going for a platinum head should help. Do you have an ASET as it might indicate what its picking up.

Thank you solgen! True! The aset is (naturally) only taken top-down. Does this give you any idea of where it is coming from? I would appreciate any thought on this! Here is the computer generated picture from the grading report.. I can find a real picture too but I have to do some searching first... :)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

I would find a design with no cross bars and go platinum

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Sphene: Thank you for your advice! I will change the bars for something else, but I will have something there. We'll see. I'll be back with a design when I have something to show and ask what you think! :))

//aca

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results