shape
carat
color
clarity

The engagement ring has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
I received the Scott Kay set with the 1.15 AGS0 Princess cut from Whiteflash. First of all, the setting and diamond look amazing. The diamond has so much sparkle to it, I find myself taking it out of the box and playing with it for 5 minutes several times each day.

However, I have noticed something on the setting which I am not sure how to take care of. about 1/4 inch down the band from the setting, there''s a miniscule little speck that''s apparent on the Palladium. Now, nobody would notice this when looking at the ring, but when I look at it under 10x magnification, I notice a slight ding (tiny chunk out) in the metal.

Will I need to send this back to have corrected, or is it something that''s normal for these things?

Thanks, everybody! I''m proposing tomorrow, so I''ll be sure to post pictures.
1.gif

LuciferSam

Rough_Rock
That sounds awesome!! I had the same thing with a platinum band that I bought and I was told that just happens sometimes - we took it to get sized at a jeweler here in santana row (san jose) and they somehow buffed the little speck right out when they resized it for free.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If its so tiny that you need a loupe to see it I personally wouldn''t return it. Give her a month of wearing it and I am sure there will be more noticible dings!
9.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If it is not very visible with the naked eye (or at all) I wouldn''t worry about it.

Also want to add, you may not want to have a ring from WF resized at a local jeweler without checking with them first. I sent mine back 2 times because having someone else do it would have voided the warranty. My setting is custom but I would still always check.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies. It''s not one of those things that anybody, including myself, would notice when looking at the ring being worn. However, if I take it and look at it very closely, I can barely see this little light nick on the metal. Again, it''s absolutely tiny, but you can tell it''s a little mini ding. If the setting is going to get dinged up even more, then I won''t worry about it.

But, since dings are essentially indentations in the metal, such as this one appearing to be a miniscule chunk taken out of the metal, how are these corrected by polishing?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
From my understanding, the metal on platinum, when scratched, is dispersed, not lost. Because platinum and palladium are similar, I would think the same holds true for palladium. So when the ring is polished, I would think the metal wouldn''t be lost and the polishing job would make it look the same as it was before. Does that make sense? Please correct me if I''m wrong, but this is what I understand. I''m sure others will chime in.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 4:39:55 PM
Author: zoebartlett
From my understanding, the metal on platinum, when scratched, is dispersed, not lost. Because platinum and palladium are similar, I would think the same holds true for palladium. So when the ring is polished, I would think the metal wouldn''t be lost and the polishing job would make it look the same as it was before. Does that make sense? Please correct me if I''m wrong, but this is what I understand. I''m sure others will chime in.
Yes, that makes sense. I just want her ring to be perfect, but I know that''s not usually possible.
1.gif

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
One of my rings arrived with a little ding as well. I took a sunshine cloth to it and polished it right up. Totally made it go away. I love sunshine cloths!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results