shape
carat
color
clarity

The End of an Era

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wink is one of the nicest guys I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. Thank you @Wink , I wish you all the best. A true gentleman.

Ditto all of this. I've worked with Wink since 2009 -- and was the proud owner of several CBIs and several beautiful custom settings. He and his team were the best -- and I consider them friends. This news has left a big hole in my heart, and obviously, from the responses on this thread, left a big hole on PS as well.

I want to more directly address the elephant in the room -- the "sticky" thread. The impact of the "sticky" thread should not be downplayed or minimized. Sure, the pandemic affected businesses large and small. But Wink is an experienced businessman who has weathered several economic downturns. I suspect -- though I can't say for sure -- that the sticky played a far greater role than the pandemic economy did in Wink's decision. And the end result is that consumers on PS have fewer super-ideal vendor choices and the remaining super-ideal vendors have one less (strong) competitor. What a shame. What a loss. @whitewave I'll be spending less time here, too.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lula -- if HPD's customer base was comprised solely of PSers, then the business was bound to fail, no? Certainly only people visiting PS would ever have seen the sticky thread, and many people don't even notice the stickies.

Much more likely cause to my way of thinking (along with pandemic economy) was the actual legal dispute and its specific litigation-investigation-related sequelae, i.e., diamonds held over for extended time in Europe for inventory, restocking delays, etc.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I am at a loss for words with my heart in my throat and literal tears in my eyes at this news. There really isn't anything I can say that has not already been said, but I want to say it anyway.

Wink, your kindness, wisdom, humor, and passion for diamonds and jewelry is especially touching. Occasionally, on rough days, I'd go watch videos you made of people's diamonds and jewelry, because listening to you talk about each piece always cheered me up. The world could use more people like you.

While I had not yet achieved the honor of being a client of yours, it was always a goal of mine , and it sucks that now I'll not be able to.

Whatever comes next, I do hope you still participate in the community here, and that your future endeavors, whatever they end up being, bring you joy.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
For the vendors who actively sell here, this forum is terribly important. It’s a very specialized marketplace but it’s quite large.

Indeed: 119,248 members at the time of this post, not including the vast number of visitors that are performing due diligent research before buying.

PS member Count.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't think this thread is an appropriate place to litigate the What Ifs of Wink and company's journey.
At all.
Can we please not?
Discussion regarding diversifying the consumer portfolio can wait for another time and another thread.

Edited.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
While I don’t own a super ideal, I always admired your stones tremendously and the obvious care you have for your business.

@RunningwithScissors’ solitaire made me question whether or not I wanted an Old European Cut diamond or not!

So saddened to read this thread. Wishing you the best on your next chapter, and hoping that one day any disappointment you feel now will seem like a distant, bad dream.

You clearly have a fan base that is still rooting for you no matter what you choose to do next!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink you have the biggest heart of any person I know.
Vera and I wish you and your lovely wife Resa longer more leisurely walks. I thank you for joining me and Vera in Jackson a couple of years ago.
(Maybe a little know fact: Wink is an amazing naturalist photographer, and gets up before dawn in freezing cold - the passion is not only diamonds!)
Your story telling is as legendary as the tastiest hamburgers in the world.
I am sad that you were deceived and sorry that I never suspected it would or was happening.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wink, this news is so heartbreaking, and like others, I admire your dedication and integrity so very much. You wholeheartedly devoted yourself to your customers and to your craft, and this turn of events has transpired due to factors beyond your control. I am also saddened for all of those who will never experience the joy of working with you. In my experience, you treated your customers like family and you always placed our best interests first, even before your own. On both personal and professional levels, you will be sorely and sincerely missed.

Those of us who have had the distinct pleasure of working with you will always cherish those interactions and experiences. We had front row seats in witnessing your uncompromising commitment to quality and to your customers, and we will forever treasure the immeasurable beauty of the diamonds that you brought into our lives. I deeply appreciate your many earnest efforts on my behalf over the years. I am so humbled to have these incredible gifts of nature and craftsmanship in my life, and to be able to provide such special family heirlooms to be treasured in the years to come. I truly adore the diamonds I have purchased from you and I will cherish them for the rest of my life, but most of all, I am deeply grateful to have had the opportunity to get to know you along the way.

I wish you every happiness in the chapter ahead, and I hope that you can now relax and savor every single moment of every single day, resting assured that you have brought so much joy and beauty to so many along your journey. I am honored to be one of those whose lives you have meaningfully touched.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I am so so sorry to hear this Wink, I haven’t purchased from you, just the timing and our desired spec. of stone delaying my first buy.

You are such a respected person here in the forum, and also responded to my post while I was looking for an anniversary diamond for my wife when I first join PS few years back, even I was not considering your stones. Many of your posts have undoubtedly enhanced my knowledge and vision on diamond and jewellery. As many have said, your kindness, passion and contribution to this community is easily seen.

Such way to leave your long lasting role in your business is definitely not one fair to you, you deserve a better one. While I cannot hide my disappointment that I no longer have a chance to get master piece and diamond from you, I sincerely wish and am sure you will earn more by spending more time with the family you love. You have made many ladies and guys happy through out years, and now you will do the same, but more often to someone you love:)

Of course don’t forget here, many folks in PS obviously love you! Please stay and keep helping whoever in need, it could also be me sometime in future=)2 (I am still selfish of course:lol-2:). Not only in the diamond section, but also CS which I remember you are also experienced at~

My best wishes for you, your family and your teammates who’s also part of your undeniable success in this industry!

Edmond

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sorry Wink. I have enjoyed your posts over the years and I know you have made forum members very happy with the diamonds they have purchased from you. You have spread happiness and good will to so many people. Best wishes for a wonderful retirement.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Been out of the loop. Sorry to hear this Wink. Sorry we never got the chance to make it out to Idaho to meet you.

Does anyone have more details on what happened with the fraud?

JMK

Rough_Rock
Wink, what I love about you is how accessible you made precision-cut gems. My first purchases from you years ago were under the Winfields/WinkCZ part of your business - I couldn't afford a CBI diamond, but my Angel emerald-cut and barion oval were my "gateway" gems.

I have a pair of small CBI studs and was thinking of selling the stones back to you last year after an expensive vet bill. I am thankful I kept them; it's like having a piece of living history.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does anyone have more details on what happened with the fraud?
There will not likely be much made public anytime soon because of lawsuits and attorneys advising them to not say anything publicly.
I am going to respect that and not comment further.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wink,

I'm so sad I didn't notice this thread earlier. I remember when I was talking with @yssie a couple years ago, who was one of the first people and both a friend and customer to whom I shared many things about my hopes for venturing into the trade. She asked me, "What do you hope to be in XYZ time?" and my very verbatim, very truthful reply to that was "I want to try my best to be the Wink Jones of the pearl world."

That sentiment has not changed. To consumers and friends, unrelated vendors and direct competitors alike, your care for customers, gentle and thoughtful demeanor, and radiating love for the world that is diamonds and beautiful things are obvious. And the respect, dignity, and kindness with which you carry yourself is self-explanatory; Even to me, as I sit on pearl-corner, a sort-of-removed-cousin but still family to the diamond world, there is something quite clear: You, not the diamonds, are the true bit of secret sauce, the ideal standard to which we as vendors, but even people, should hope to strive.

I will be always proud to have had you and your knowledge as something that played a direct role in my own decision to enter the trade world, but I will be more impressed upon by you as a person, who even in dark times was so willing and open to anything you might be able to provide.

I hope you will stick around in any capacity -- your knowledge and wit are too much a pillar of PriceScope to go without.

Finally, if there should ever be anything -- at all -- that I can do to be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to find me.

Thanks for everything, sir, and wishing you only happier news and travels ahead.

Andrew

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Wink,

Although we only met once personally at a PS get-together in Las Vegas, I have followed your successful business over many years. You are one of the good guys in our industry and I'm saddened that your situation did not turn out as planned. I wish you well in the future...stay positive. Be well.
Jeff

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
@Wink, my first CBI sparked my interest in well-cut MRBs; my second CBI confirmed it was true love. Thank you for all the work you put into building your business, and please know how much your friendliness, knowledge, and honesty means to those of us fortunate enough to have been your customers. I sure will miss you, @Gypsy, and the rest of your wonderful team.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Hate it when the good guys don’t win… So sorry to read this but hope that the appreciation for you and your business in this thread is a small solace.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a long-time admirer of your work, I'm truly sad to hear this. Thank you for invaluable contributions to this community and to your field. You've always been so generous with your knowledge here....clearly you mean a lot to many people. Please stick around PS if you can! Best wishes to you, @Wink !!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I want to thank each and every one of you who had so many kind words to share with me. I want to say that the love and concern expressed were incredibly uplifting and very much helped to turn what I though would be a sad time into a realization of how blessed I am to have been on this forum for so many years.

I have decided to take some of the advice and comments about sticking around to heart. I look forward to posting here form many years to come.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
This is so sad.

I’ve never purchased a CBI diamond but it was a dream one day to own one.

I hope you’ll take some time off to relax, unwind, and find more passions to excel in (and hopefully that new venture will allow us to cross paths down the line!)

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little late to the news - admittedly, I did get the email, but I didn't absorb it until just now. So glad to hear you will be staying with the forum, Wink, and so depressed that I was never able to make the trip to Boise thanks to this awful pandemic.

I was so hoping to get to experience one of the famous Wink dinners! Still, I'm sure - the people we need in our lives are never far away.

Stay safe and healthy and may all good tidings come your way.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'll pile in and add how much I have enjoyed your addition to Pricescope. We bought an old cut from you years ago and you were so lovely to do business with. My husband was fairly sure I'd lost my mind when I suggested buying a diamond from a "man on the internet". You were lovely. You're so beloved in these parts.

I'm glad you'll be around.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a pair of studs from HPD less than a year ago. Melissa and Wink were so incredible beyond words... :(

Much respect to Wink always, as a Jeweler, businessman, and human. My best wishes only!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to resurrect this thread to add one fact that I don't think has been explicated anywhere on PS. It took me a while to understand it myself.

PS is a powerful place. Not just because of the people who come to PS to learn and buy from recommended vendors, but because of its gravitas in SEO.

However people might have heard of Wink, HPD, or Wolf CBI, wherever people might have heard of Wink, HPD, or Wolf CBI - if those people did a Google search, that PS announcement would have been amongst the first responses.

It's not a matter of PS members being HPD / Wolf CBI's primary clientele. Or, at least, it's not just a matter of that. That announcement would have had far wider reach and impact than on PS eyes alone thanks to Google. In fact - PS members who had background and history and context were probably the viewers least impacted by it!

In 2020/2021 all the customer portfolio diversification in the world won't help you if a Google search damns you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results