shape
carat
color
clarity

The diamond guy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How is this from http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/diamond_education/ask/view_item.asp?id=6493 for a hoot>>>>

more abt. sarin
Created: 1/13/2003 Updated: 1/14/2003

Q Okay, this is the last time I''ll bug you for now. I have an example of a diamond I''m interested in: 1.53 carat, RB, color: G, Clarity: SI1, 7.38*7.44*4.55; total depth 61.4%, crown angle 35, crown height 15.6, pavil angle 40.6, pavil depth 42.5, culet .1%, table 56%, girdle sl. thick (1.9%). Iwas looking at the charts for determining classes of diamonds on gemappraisers.com and, from what I can tell, everything falls into class 1a or 1b. HOWEVER, what do you think? Will it be really sparkly, fiery, pretty, even with color and clarity (If you want to see the actual diamond, it''s at http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_53ct_g_si1_ags0.htm. PRice is $10,985. Would love to know your thoughts. You can just answer this question as well as it''s just a more specific version of one submitted about an hour ago. Thanks for your patience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Hi Sandee, For starters, you''re not bugging me. I love what I do. The charts that gemappraisers use for determining a class 1 or class 2 are liberal. The 1.53 is too deep. The Diamond Guy

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Cut Nut -

I saw that too and was absolutely amazed. From what I can tell, comparing the AGA chart vs. AGS, AGA is far more STRINGENT.

Oh well, maybe he has something against Jonathan.
sick.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It scores a .7 TIC on the HCA and sparkles like the ****ens on Jonathan's page! Also its an AGS000. Not BAD!!!

It's unfortunate that the poster of the original post will probably now think they made a bad choice and skitter off to try to figure out where they went wrong with what they thought they know.

I've noted some hostilities towards Fred aka Diamond Guy on the forum here and haven't really delved into past posts to find out why..anyone care to enlighten me? Just a different selling style is all?

Funny story--at some point during our hunt for the ring setting, I posted to Fred's Q&A asking if he had heard of the maker of this one setting we were interested in (by Albert Malky). He said no and hadn't heard of the designer, but sent me his book on How To Buy a Diamond which I read in an evening. Interesting stuff. I found the setting anyway...but we decided against it. But I got a free book out of the deal!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm just ran a quick search and read up on Freddo. No response necessary to my last post!!!
2.gif

Sierra Nevada

Rough_Rock
Too bad this guy is still going strong. I think very few people bother to research the businesses they deal with, they just take all the promotional material at face value and go on blind trust. Fred (AKA Hector) sure benefits from this, even a quick search I did a year ago when looking for a diamond brought up his fraud conviction in Houston on westlaw and on google. But he's the diamond advisor on The Knot and AOL too!!!

Caveat Emptor, I guess. I sure hope folk's BS detectors go off when they see how he always finds fault with a diamond from a competitor, even when absolutely every other source of information indicates it is an excellent stone like in this case.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
AM I THE *ONLY* ONE THAT PAID FOR THIS DOPYEST OF DOPEY BOOK!!!!

That shouted, I need to keep warm....ripping page after page into the fireplace.
9.gif

student

Shiny_Rock
Nope, I paid for it too. Amazon.com didn't mention his criminal record.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You don't even have to pay. Just submit a question through his website and he'll send you one free.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad you all enjoyed it.

It is quite entertaining to flip through.

I would like to think that in Australia people like this would not be able to continue in business. Can't someone over there do something?

He is actually harming genuine businesses and giving consumers less that they bargain for.
And Amazon support this?

MrOdell

Rough_Rock
He autographed my copy that he sent me!!!!

LOL!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
F&I--at least you have found a positive use for the book!

Yes I submitted a question about the setting and he sent me the book. It was a cool surprise and early in our searching days. We already had our stone, so reading the book was more an educational thing since it was the first actual paper knowledge we'd come across! All our resarch was done online, 99.9999% using Pricescope. Anyway--I know to take anything anyone says in life with a grain of salt, but it was interesting to see his perspective, his 'secret' charts..etc. My biggest complaint with the book was that I found the section on cut and pricing to be really confusing! I couldn't figure out what cut our diamond fell into according to Fred..because our pavilion was on the money but the crown angle was very shallow. Every time one thing fit in one category, another one knocked it out! In the end we just read the book and giggled at some parts, but it was INFORMATIVE if you know that it's just one person's opinion. Interesting too because some of what he said went against what I learned on the forum, while a few other things actually corroborated.

Personally I like the Glamour Shots photo on his website the best.
11.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too funny.
3.gif

While I certainly am not seeking approval from Fred I also found this among his archives.

http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/diamond_education/ask/view_item.asp?id=1539

Good Old Gold
Created: 5/8/2001 Updated: 5/9/2001
Mail Item to a Friend

Q Dear Diamond Guy, Have done a lot of research on the internet and ran across the name Good Old Gold as a very reputable jeweler. They are located in Long Island, NY. Have you heard of them before? Or recommend other jewelers in the area. Thanks so much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Hi Lisa, I talked to Helen Weingarten the founder and primary share holder of Good Old Gold, as well as with her gemologist son Jonathan. They were a delight. Their shop not only has a in house sarin machine but a megascope as well. They have been in business for 21 years, offer a full money back guarantee as well as a lifetime exchange policy! Wow! I typically shy away from critiquing or endorsing jewelers as to remain unbiased but these guys are worth a look. The Diamond Guy

And we did actually get a phone call from him too!

Rhino

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jonathan,
Have you become a name dropper since your rub with royalty?
love.gif

He sent me both his books, how to buy a diamond & how to propose (or something like that). That one I gave my bf, the other one I kept.
12.gif
What useless drivel. Just when I had gotten that book I found DT & Pricescope so Fred never had the chance to influence me like he may have others. I found out the truth early on.

Judy
:)

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/17/2003 1
6.gif
4:55 AM Rhino wrote:

And we did actually get a phone call from him too!
----------------

And here I was convinced Fred just made up all those letters to make himself look good...
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results