shape
carat
color
clarity

The demand for ethical natural diamonds

iridescentfire7

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I am new here, but for my first post, I want to talk about something I don't see spoken about too often, if it all.

The debate of ethical/sustainable diamonds have been centered largely around lab diamonds vs natural. However, what about ethically-sourced natural diamonds? What if there was a way/place that you could buy natural diamonds and know exactly where it (the rough diamond) came from?

In addition, if you knew that a portion of the proceeds from your natural diamond purchase went to help the underdeveloped mining community's, how would this influence your purchasing decision? Would the lab diamond's sustainability argument become a moot point? Would you pay a premium for these ethically sourced diamonds?

With the war in Ukraine, and resulting diamond sanctions by the U.S. in addition to younger peoples attitudes towards sustainability and ethics, I personally believe it will become hugely important to be more transparent about diamond origin if the natural diamond industry wants to compete in the long run.

The only company I know that offers rough diamond tracking is Tiffany's, and even then only for larger stones for their engagement line. But even for Tiffany's, they dont really push it as an unique selling point.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and am curious to know what your options are :)

iridescentfire7

Rough_Rock
I am well aware of the Kimberly process and agree with basically everything you just said in including what drives people to buy lab vs natural. I believe the natural market is here to stay.

The Kimberly Process essentially stops as the stones enter Antwerp/India, and since no one is tracking them, not even jewellers can know the stone origin. So as a selling point, it doesn’t really work.

Having said that, I believe the perception of ethics and sustainability is more important than the reality. While true blood diamonds have virtually been erased, at least from my experience with talking to younger people, the poor conditions of artisanal minings seem to turn them off to the idea of naturals.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am well aware of the Kimberly process and agree with basically everything you just said in including what drives people to buy lab vs natural. I believe the natural market is here to stay.

The Kimberly Process essentially stops as the stones enter Antwerp/India, and since no one is tracking them, not even jewellers can know the stone origin. So as a selling point, it doesn’t really work.

Having said that, I believe the perception of ethics and sustainability is more important than the reality. While true blood diamonds have virtually been erased, at least from my experience with talking to younger people, the poor conditions of artisanal minings seem to turn them off to the idea of naturals.

Sorry - I accidentally deleted my first post! I appreciate your response.

Mining may indeed be an obstacle for younger people, but I still think the main driver is price. The idea of acquiring a much larger lab diamond for a fraction of the price of a natural is a strong factor. The lab vs. natural diamond has been discussed here often; you can probably do a search and find some of those discussions. I think it is fair to say that most agreed to honor and respect others decisions on what to buy and their reasons for doing so.

I agree that the origin process probably gets mired in cutting location and such, but then how would Tiffany know that their information on origin is correct?

iridescentfire7

Rough_Rock
“but then how would Tiffany know that their information on origin is correct?”

From what I recall, they have their own cutters for stones of a certain size. So they must be sightholders with some mining company.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Somewhere I read that Tiffany has a contract with a Canadian mine - Diavek? - for first pick.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many larger Indian diamond cutters supply origin and buying from De Beers is easy. all diamonds come from Botswana, Namibia, Canada or South Africa.
The trouble is once those diamonds are sold to US dealers that and most other important information is not passed on (if the stone is hazy or milky, professional inclusion videos and often ordinary (useless) 360 spin videos).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results