carat
color
clarity

The Daily Happy Hour -- Starting TODAY!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1611237217193.png

Has anyone done the Blanton's running horse display? (This is just a pic I grabbed off the internet BTW, not something I've completed.) I had friends who needed One Last Horse for YEARS. They kept buying and drinking, buying and drinking, but never got that elusive last runner. Well one night I was at another friends' and we were about to kill the bottle. I snapped a photo and texted the other people just in case it was the right one -- and it WAS. They went CRAZY, LOL. So now they have the whole run.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't that be lovely. ::)

You don't believe me?. :Up_to_something:Alcohol kills the virus. That's the reason why I'm still alive after attending all those family parties in the past 10 months.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't believe me?. :Up_to_something:Alcohol kills the virus. That's the reason why I'm still alive after attending all those family parties in the past 10 months.

I wish.
You are right though in that different types of alcohol does kill Coronavirus but not the kind you think @Dancing Fire
:)

I know you are being tongue in cheek but just in case there are some reading who might not get your sense of humor here is an FYI.

"
Alcohol, at high enough concentrations, is able to destroy viruses by denaturing the proteins that make up the virus, which makes the viruses lose their structure, rendering them inactive and ineffective. According to the CDC, you need a concentration of at least 60% alcohol to cause this denaturation to kill germs, with 60% to 90% being the optimal levels. This is why you'll see hand sanitizers such as Purell have a level of 70% ethyl alcohol.

Most alcoholic beverages' alcohol content or alcohol by volume (ABV) of ethanol is below 60%, and therefore below concentrations necessary to kill most viruses and bacteria, according to Dr. Stephan Fihn, professor of General Internal Medicine and Health Services and head of General Internal Medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine. A typical serving of hard liquor such as vodka, gin, whiskey, rum and tequila, averages in at about 40% ABV.

"When consumed, the amount of alcohol that enters the bloodstream is far lower. Blood alcohol levels of over 0.08% are considered consistent with intoxication, [which is about] one-thousandth of the concentration of alcohol in a sanitizer such as Purell," says Fihn.

While there are certain types of alcohol that do have more than 60% ABV, they still won't kill germs in your body or help you fight infections. Even if you are drinking alcohol with an even higher ABV, such as certain grain alcohols that can be up to 90% ABV, your blood alcohol level still won't be high enough to destroy viruses, according to Fihn.

"[Blood alcohol levels] of 0.35% to 0.40% usually represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning. Thus, in the bloodstream, ethanol will kill the person before it kills the virus," says Fihn.

For the novel coronavirus in particular, doctors and researchers do not know of anything that we can consume – including any type of alcohol – that can reduce our risk of infection, and Fihn urges people to be weary of any remedies they read online that claim to be effective against COVID-19.

When it comes to using alcohol as a sanitizer, it's best to avoid it and stick to using sanitizers that are made specifically for hands. "For alcohol to be effective [at killing germs], it needs to be applied for at least 30 seconds. Commercial hand sanitizers are formulated to be conveniently applied, such as foams and gels, that can be more easily rubbed on hands and do not evaporate too quickly," says Fihn.

That being said, it's preferable to wash your hands with soap and water over using hand sanitizer, but if you're in a pinch, sanitizer will do. Always remember: The best way to kill germs and prevent infection, especially right now, is to practice good hand hygiene and social distancing.

"There are no studies yet showing that anything other than social distancing and hygiene are effective in curtailing contagion of the virus," says Fihn. "

Back to the thread.

Good morning.
mimosa.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL. You wish. Booze diminishes your immunity, wrecks your organs, nerves and brain. Whatever you may imagine, it is not medicinal! Perhaps only for the placebo effect.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Had grapefruit Negroni at a late lunch out! LOL

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FEFB58A4-2FF1-4C28-B3BB-FCB9CDCE6B63.jpeg

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Hour came at lunchtime thanks to these lovelies that just got delivered. It's iced tea but I've got tastier items chilling for the evening. It's like Christmas in March! I still have several more packages to open. Thank you @Dee*Jay !

IMG_8277.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
44F46FA3-4CF8-44F8-8CD1-F0A694ECBAD5.jpeg

I would have been here sooner but I got distracted trying to decide which glass matched B.B. the best! Because, yanno, it’s important to match your stemware to your jewelry. :cheeky:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2C7F46EB-07FD-4766-91A6-AB623EE028C6.png

Cheers Donna!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
431FC6EB-5860-4724-8DCC-A28382A74295.jpeg

Happy Easter kids!

The ham was good, the mashed potatoes and gravy even better, and the Parmesan herb biscuits the best!

The company has left and I am relaxing on the side deckwith a glass of Prosecco in a vintage Anchor Hocking “ring ding” glass because... well... why not?!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2953BA8D-51DF-41FD-817B-56CC8F142DA4.jpeg

Rose out of the Lopsy Fugs of depression glass, LOL. This one must have come from The Island Of Misfit Glasses, but it’s one of my favorites — I’m drawn to the oddities!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chemgirl, you MADE that?! It's AWESOME! And happy birthday to your hubby!

Donna, your glasses look much more *symmetrical* than mine, haha. I really like your countertop too!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
93C1D62A-AD89-49C2-A142-8ED0D7CE6858.jpeg

I haven’t had a martini in AGES but today when I was digging for something in a high cabinet I came across this really good vodka, which I completely forgot we had! Now if only I would have come across some OLIVES to go with it! :cheeky:

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Donna, I really like your countertop too!
I love my Silestone countertop (it's my backsplash too!)

I haven’t had a martini in AGES but today when I was digging for something in a high cabinet I came across this really good vodka, which I completely forgot we had! Now if only I would have come across some OLIVES to go with it! :cheeky:
That is "VVS quality" vodka. I went for "carat weight" with mine...

IMG_8949.jpeg

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
A03AA6F4-9E9E-4A51-A903-6F8282997A5C.jpeg

I feel like I’m posting too many of these. We’re in lockdown again so not much to do.

@lambskin if you’re looking for a replacement speaker the Sonos Move is excellent.

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the Sonos move tip. But we need a CD playeras we are flush with cds that are not available elsewhere.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_9332.jpeg

Happy Mother's Day! Had my first and last Michelada. It was good but I prefer a Bloody Mary.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
54C6DFB8-9AB7-42E6-9798-483D26822065.jpeg
Once again I just *had* to get the vodka out to welcome this little pink beauty into the house! Three dollars well spent!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
895E3EB4-5547-4309-A507-4AEE974CEB5B.jpeg

Happy holidays everyone!

Not only is this prosecco pretty, it’s actually GOOD! We started with this bottle and the presents earlier!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday was my birthday so we went out to dinner at my favorite restaurant ever, it’s a small restaurant in my little burg anyway when we left the manager handed me my “gift” a old fashioned made with buffalo trace bourbon, welp tonight it’s being consumed but had to change out of the plastic cup lol D1AF9421-10C2-4778-A983-2EE0126C53A5.jpeg

Attachments

• 4160AAEF-5758-4247-BBB9-308F6B420FCE.jpeg
    4160AAEF-5758-4247-BBB9-308F6B420FCE.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 13

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yesterday was my birthday so we went out to dinner at my favorite restaurant ever, it’s a small restaurant in my little burg anyway when we left the manager handed me my “gift” a old fashioned made with buffalo trace bourbon, welp tonight it’s being consumed but had to change out of the plastic cup lol D1AF9421-10C2-4778-A983-2EE0126C53A5.jpeg

Happy Birthday @diamondringlover! Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results